Republicans call it "capitalism", Chinese call it "suicide".

Seems like they did double the wage to something like $50/month.

I just read they increased wages by almost 70% in response the suicides and the suicides did indeed halt for several months.

You read that? Where? Just kidding. I'm pretty sure you just made that up.

That's because you have shit for brains:

Foxconn announces wage rise of nearly 70%

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article7145280.ece

Read it, eat shit and fuck off.

Last edited:

it works for me. Here's the text:

Jane Macartney, Beijing

In a dramatic move to avert more suicides at its huge factories in south China, the giant electronics maker Foxconn has announced a nearly 70 per cent increase in wages on top of a rise last week.

The Taiwan firm, manufacturer of Apple’s iPhone as well as iPads and products for Sony, Dell, Nokia and Hewlett-Packard, will offer a performance-based pay increase from October 1 as it battles to limit the damage to its reputation after 10 employee suicides this year alone.

Production line workers at the huge plant in southern Shenzhen that is known for its long hours, burdensome overtime and tough treatment of staff will be able to earn 2,000 yuan (£200) a month if they pass a three-month performance review.

The company’s secretive founder, Terry Gou, said: “This wage increase has been instituted to safeguard the dignity of workers, accelerate economic transformation, support Foxconn’s long-term objective of continued evolution from a manufacturing leader to a technology leader, and to rally and sustain the best of our workforce.”

Mr Gou, who flew from Taiwan to southern China last month to deal personally with the crisis after yet another worker leapt to his death from a Foxconn building, has pledged to do more to stop the suicides among his workers. He said:” We are working diligently to ensure that our workplace standards and remuneration not only continue to meet the rapidly changing needs of our employees, but that they are the best in class.”

Just last week Foxconn, owned by the world’s largest contract electronics maker Hon Hai Precision Industry, announced a 30 per cent across the board pay increase in the cash portion of wages. The two increases mean wages will more than double since the spate of suicides grabbed headlines last month. Before last week’s rise, workers earned 900 yuan (£90) a month.

Labour activists accuse the company of a rigid management style and of enforcing excessively long work hours. Poor working conditions are rife in China’s factories, where margins are often extremely thin and employers try to supplement their profits by saving on staff benefits since many other costs, such as raw materials, are fixed.

Foxconn has long been known for the high turnover among its 300,000 staff at its plant at Longhua on the edge of the boomtown of Shenzhen. Many last only a few months before quitting to look for work at smaller factories where rules may be less Draconian. The legal limit for overtime in China is 36 hours a month, but workers at Foxconn say they often work for far longer hours.

The company has now installed safety nets on buildings to try to prevent suicides and more counsellors have been hired. Staff have been assigned to 50-person groups to keep an eye on one another for signs of emotional trouble.

Foxconn announces wage rise of nearly 70% - Times Online

Last edited:
you must have signed up on that site, I hit a block. Actually a 404 error.
I can get to the site just not that page.
And when I go to the site and then search and find the article title it wants my name or somesuch to take me to the page.
You have a cookie set for it apparently.

you must have signed up on that site, I hit a block. Actually a 404 error.
I can get to the site just not that page.
And when I go to the site and then search and find the article title it wants my name or somesuch to take me to the page.
You have a cookie set for it apparently.

It is probably like the NYT. I can get to their premium pages if I access them thru Google News but not if I find the link in a google search. They also ask for a sign in but apparently have forgotten my log info.

Sorry about that.

In the past three months, the factory has been losing 50,000 staff a month because workers are burning out.”

Average overtime over the past year was 120 hours per month per worker, meaning that the average working week for a Foxconn worker is around 70 hours. For this toil, they receive a basic wage of just £90 (900 Yuan) per month — an average hourly basic wage of well under £1 per hour.

Foxconn has now begun locking doors and windows in its plant and dormitory buildings to prevent further suicide attempts — a move which has an alarming precedent in the history of sweatshop exploitation.
China: exploitation and resistance in the "world's sweatshop" | Workers' Liberty

I just read they increased wages by almost 70% in response the suicides and the suicides did indeed halt for several months.
I thought the suicides were driven by the woman shortage and lack of time to find one, how do higher wages address that issue?

They keep women and men largely quarantined from one another. I spose they interact a bit at the cyber cafes etc, but kids of that age usually want nothing more than sex and the opposite.

Chinese seem suppressed, but I expect they are still human.

I wonder what the sexes of the suicide victims was.

You know this..how?

I was in China this year..and last year.

So really..explain this "quaranting" thing.

This ought to be good.

In the past three months, the factory has been losing 50,000 staff a month because workers are burning out.”

Foxconn has now begun locking doors and windows in its plant and dormitory buildings to prevent further suicide attempts

From my post above.

Last edited:
Lots of apples and oranges here. Most of the kids that went to work at Foxconn come from highly pampered backgrounds. Foxconn put together a tough work environment where managers would stand behind workers and time them while they did tasks. Was a bad combination..and one that got them into big trouble. They are making adjustments.

Adjustments? Not so sure. They said they would double workers salaries, then put together a board they said the workers had to pass to get the raise. I couldn't find anyone who passed.

Then there are the buildings covered in nets.

The workers are working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Apple complained that a sizable salary increase, by sizable, I mean to 270 dollar a MONTH, would cause their profits to drop 36%.

They relaxed a bit with the managment timing tasks..gave them more breaks..it was very embarrassing for them.

I thought the suicides were driven by the woman shortage and lack of time to find one, how do higher wages address that issue?

They keep women and men largely quarantined from one another. I spose they interact a bit at the cyber cafes etc, but kids of that age usually want nothing more than sex and the opposite.

Chinese seem suppressed, but I expect they are still human.

I wonder what the sexes of the suicide victims was.

You know this..how?

I was in China this year..and last year.

So really..explain this "quaranting" thing.

This ought to be good.

We are talking about inside work camp city fool. I read an article over the weekend with photos and documentary about how the "kids" have activities set up that isolate the sexes from one another as well as separate dorms and separate shifts.

Have you noticed how right wingers defend Foxconn with "I heard they blah blah blah" and "I remember reading an article last month where blah blah blah". And without links, it's all "blah blah blah".

Foxcon produces Apple products. Steve Jobs is a liberal, progressive, Democrat. Republicans defend him because they are a coalition party that believes that everyone, even liberals, have the right to make money without government interference.

Game.

Set.

Match.

You forgot something!

China’s development strategy throughout these 30 years not only accomplished an economic miracle. It deepened regional inequalities, prolonged stagnation of wages, and deprived migrant workers’ citizenship and human rights. In the following, we first outline the pattern of internal labor migration under the widening gaps between rural and urban economies. Second, we review the recent cases of Foxconn suicides to probe into the working lives of those who struggle to live on. Finally, we appeal to the concerned public to nurture a sustainable community that respects workers’ rights.

Chinese migrants as low-paid workers and secondary citizen

Did you bother to even read your article?

"will offer a performance-based pay increase"

Does this sound like a raise? They are already working 60 to 70 hours a week. How much more "performance" could you get?

This is why they throw this shit out there so fools, morons such as your self, will say, "Oh, see, they got a raise". Only they didn't. Maybe one or two, just to make management look good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Does this sound like a raise? They are already working 60 to 70 hours a week. How much more "performance" could you get?

This is why they throw this shit out there so fools, morons such as your self, will say, "Oh, see, they got a raise". Only they didn't. Maybe one or two, just to make management look good.

Too bad that Democrats don't have control of the Congress and the Presidency or they'd be all over this!

Just last week Foxconn, owned by the world’s largest contract electronics maker Hon Hai Precision Industry, announced a 30 per cent across the board pay increase in the cash portion of wages. The two increases mean wages will more than double since the spate of suicides grabbed headlines last month. Before last week’s rise, workers earned 900 yuan (£90) a month.

must suck to be you, rdean

Cash protion of the wages? is part of their compensation what room and board?

Reminds me of an old song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0[/ame]

must suck to be you, rdean

Too bad you don't know what "will offer a performance-based pay increase" means.

You write like it's an actual raise.

Forum List

Back