Republicans call it "capitalism", Chinese call it "suicide".

R

rdean

Riding Foxconn’s “suicide express”?

Amid media reports of suicides of young Chinese workers, public discussions about corporate management, workers’ socio-psychological well-being, and international supply chain labor responsibility have been getting intense.

An online Chinese news database newly created in January 2010 raised a question, “Foxconn employees—why haven’t they held back from killing themselves (Ppsj.com)?” Another report dated 9 April 2010 asked somewhat more urgent, “Who can bring the Foxconn ‘suicide express’ to a halt (News.163.com)?”

Foxconn Technology Group, a Fortune 500 company, is the largest final assembling-supplier in the global electronics industry. The Taiwanese company announced consolidated net profits of NT$18 billion (US$568.73 million) for the first quarter of 2010, increased 34.8 percent on year. The company employs over 800,000 staff worldwide, mostly in China. In Shenzhen City, Foxconn’s Longhua Science and Technology Park houses some 300,000 workers in one single campus.

china study group Blog Archive Dying Young: Suicide & China?s Booming Economy

------------------------------------------

Story after story about suicides and the notes they left behind.

I'm amazed at the number of right wingers on the USMB who call this "capitalism" and think we should be more like the Chinese. Is this why Republican leaders want to abolish the minimum wage?

Lots of apples and oranges here. Most of the kids that went to work at Foxconn come from highly pampered backgrounds. Foxconn put together a tough work environment where managers would stand behind workers and time them while they did tasks. Was a bad combination..and one that got them into big trouble. They are making adjustments.

Lots of apples and oranges here. Most of the kids that went to work at Foxconn come from highly pampered backgrounds. Foxconn put together a tough work environment where managers would stand behind workers and time them while they did tasks. Was a bad combination..and one that got them into big trouble. They are making adjustments.

Adjustments? Not so sure. They said they would double workers salaries, then put together a board they said the workers had to pass to get the raise. I couldn't find anyone who passed.

Then there are the buildings covered in nets.

foxconn-net-news-report.jpg

10_10_bp386285_foxconn_rt.jpg

0worker-suicide-iquit-hang.jpg

The workers are working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Apple complained that a sizable salary increase, by sizable, I mean to 270 dollar a MONTH, would cause their profits to drop 36%.

We had this conversation before.

The interesting thing is how much suicides dropped off after they dropped the death benefit. The numbers still point to it being perfectly normal, even a little lower than normal.

We had this conversation before.

The interesting thing is how much suicides dropped off after they dropped the death benefit. The numbers still point to it being perfectly normal, even a little lower than normal.

Of course you have a link for that. Yea, right. Of course.

Riding Foxconn’s “suicide express”?

Amid media reports of suicides of young Chinese workers, public discussions about corporate management, workers’ socio-psychological well-being, and international supply chain labor responsibility have been getting intense.

An online Chinese news database newly created in January 2010 raised a question, “Foxconn employees—why haven’t they held back from killing themselves (Ppsj.com)?” Another report dated 9 April 2010 asked somewhat more urgent, “Who can bring the Foxconn ‘suicide express’ to a halt (News.163.com)?”

Foxconn Technology Group, a Fortune 500 company, is the largest final assembling-supplier in the global electronics industry. The Taiwanese company announced consolidated net profits of NT$18 billion (US$568.73 million) for the first quarter of 2010, increased 34.8 percent on year. The company employs over 800,000 staff worldwide, mostly in China. In Shenzhen City, Foxconn’s Longhua Science and Technology Park houses some 300,000 workers in one single campus.

china study group Blog Archive Dying Young: Suicide & China?s Booming Economy

------------------------------------------

Story after story about suicides and the notes they left behind.

I'm amazed at the number of right wingers on the USMB who call this "capitalism" and think we should be more like the Chinese. Is this why Republican leaders want to abolish the minimum wage?

That's funny, I read an article just this week that said that those suicides have ended since the company installed netting around the perimeter of all the buildings in January. They had a spate of about 10 and then none for months.

Those Chinese just take capitalism too serious.
the republicans would love to have that dedication in workers over here.

From our resent research outside a Foxconn’s facility in Shenzhen, most of the workers agree that they feel stress in the production lines. They are not allowed to talk to each other when working. Even in the same production line, workers do not have chance to get to know their colleagues. During lunch break or dinner break, some workers just finish their meals as soon as possible and take rest afterwards. Meanwhile, some workers do not know other roommates in dormitory for different reasons. Therefore, workers are isolated among each other.

Notwithstanding the overtime work at Foxconn is exceeding 100 hours per month, the workers cannot afford to buy the electronic products which they produce. To demand for a living wage of the workers, we burnt the paper i-Phones, a Chinese ritual to burn the effigies of real products for the deceased as an offering. Lastly, we have a march around the building where Foxconn’s office located.

Have you noticed how right wingers defend Foxconn with "I heard they blah blah blah" and "I remember reading an article last month where blah blah blah". And without links, it's all "blah blah blah".

Obviously, rdean has a thing for hung Chinamen.

Chinese guy found hung, Bush to blame!

Have you noticed how right wingers defend Foxconn with "I heard they blah blah blah" and "I remember reading an article last month where blah blah blah". And without links, it's all "blah blah blah".

Have you notice how partisan trash label others with fictional characterizations backed up by nothing but their poisoned imaginations and "blah, blah, blah" as evidence?

Even with the Presidency and both houses of Congress Dems are powerless against science hating, Christian, white Republicans.

Seems like they did double the wage to something like $50/month.

I just read they increased wages by almost 70% in response the suicides and the suicides did indeed halt for several months.
I thought the suicides were driven by the woman shortage and lack of time to find one, how do higher wages address that issue?

Real capitalists will choose money over women every time.
Once you accumulate enough money the women will find you.

Seems like they did double the wage to something like $50/month.

I just read they increased wages by almost 70% in response the suicides and the suicides did indeed halt for several months.
I thought the suicides were driven by the woman shortage and lack of time to find one, how do higher wages address that issue?

They keep women and men largely quarantined from one another. I spose they interact a bit at the cyber cafes etc, but kids of that age usually want nothing more than sex and the opposite.

Chinese seem suppressed, but I expect they are still human.

I wonder what the sexes of the suicide victims was.

Forum List

Back