Republicans are afraid to propose spending cuts!

This is a problem for both parties, and it is the main reason we can't have an honest discussion on entitlements, specifically SS and Medicare. Cuts are going to have to be made, especially to Medicare. Without them, there is no way Medicare is sustainable.

NO!

WE. DON'T. HAVE. TO. CUT. MEDICARE!

All we have to do to make it sustainable, is to fund it sufficiently.

Canada has medicare covering EVERYONE. Why can't we cover our seniors?

Canada is raising the retirement age to 67. Eventually, they too will have to raise it even higher. I really don't feel up to digging up all the graphs. If you do not understand that Medicare spending is going to eat up our federal budget over the next forty years, then you are lost. Costs will have to be cut or the program will implode. Raising the retirement age is the only logical answer to keep full benefits available to retirees.

This is a problem for both parties, and it is the main reason we can't have an honest discussion on entitlements, specifically SS and Medicare. Cuts are going to have to be made, especially to Medicare. Without them, there is no way Medicare is sustainable.

NO!

There isn't enough money on the entire planet to "fund it sufficiently."

Canada rations care. Sending granny home to die is how Canada reduces costs.

An oversimplification that is not true.

It may surprise you ilia25, but we are not here to support governmet. It is the other way around. If you take a person's money or property, you deprive him of some level of freedom. That is what America is about.

Obama has given his umpteenth speech about tax cuts. Still waiting on his proposed cuts.

Until voters agree, as a solid majority, that cuts must be made to SS and Medicare, it's not going to happen. The bad thing about it is that the longer we wait, the worse those cuts will need to be.
Well why even worry about it? It's for all intents and purposes too late already. The money is going to RUN OUT, and then cuts will be IRRELEVANT.

What part about UNSUSTAINABLE do people NOT UNDERSTAND?

The point too many of you miss is that current spending is not that big of a problem. Current revenue is a big problem because it is much too low. Some of both of those problems will fix themselves if we can get the economy rolling again and get people back to work. What nobody wants to discuss seriously is the long term costs of Medicare and SS, specifically Medicare. While Paul Ryan did have a plan, it was not a good plan. The real problem though, is that everyone is scared shitless to make any significant changes to these programs. Hell, we can't even get a reasonable discussion going about them.

Classic liberal thinking. It's always the same repetition. You get more money, but the problem remains. So you conclude you didn't get enough money. You get yet more money and the problem still remains and stupidly you once again conclude that you just didn't get enough money. When are you morons going to figure out that lack of money is not the issue? The issue is the programs are fundamentally flawed and unsustainable.

Last edited:
I think everyone forgets the reasoning behind the Bush tax cuts. He didn't push for them as a stimulus to get the economy growing. He pushed for them because the CBO was anticipating large surpluses in the upcoming years, and Bush felt that the extra revenue should go back to the taxpayers. Had the CBO been projecting more deficits at the time, I don't believe Bush would have promoted the tax cuts. Even if he had, I don't think he would have gotten them.

How does that bit of Bush-apologist thinking fit within the context of Bush Tax Cuts 1 and 2?

Mind elaborating?

First of all it's not apologist thinking; it's fact. Secondly, my point was to show that there is no reason not to increase taxes back to the rates under Clinton. Get in the game please.

When exactly does speculation become factual? What were the OMB (not CBO) estimates? When revenue tanked creating huge deficits, what was Bush's thinking, do you speculate?

How does that bit of Bush-apologist thinking fit within the context of Bush Tax Cuts 1 and 2?

Mind elaborating?

First of all it's not apologist thinking; it's fact. Secondly, my point was to show that there is no reason not to increase taxes back to the rates under Clinton. Get in the game please.
And there's also not one reason that we can't go back to the spending levels under Clintoon, either.

Why? Adjusting for inflation and population, how far away are we now?

The point too many of you miss is that current spending is not that big of a problem. Current revenue is a big problem because it is much too low.
Some of both of those problems will fix themselves if we can get the economy rolling again and get people back to work. What nobody wants to discuss seriously is the long term costs of Medicare and SS, specifically Medicare. While Paul Ryan did have a plan, it was not a good plan. The real problem though, is that everyone is scared shitless to make any significant changes to these programs. Hell, we can't even get a reasonable discussion going about them.
Bullshit.

If the feds can't get by $3+ trillion, they have a major spending problem.

The US government spends less percentage of GDP than most developed countries. It has deficits because it collects even less in taxes.

Your argument is flawed because it rests on a faulty premise. That somehow a government that collects more taxes is a better government and that our government is underfunded as opposed to overextended.

Bullshit.

If the feds can't get by $3+ trillion, they have a major spending problem.

The US government spends less percentage of GDP than most developed countries. It has deficits because it collects even less in taxes.

Your argument is flawed because it rests on a faulty premise. That somehow a government that collects more taxes

I never said the more taxes the better, stop putting words in my mouth.

My point is that we can easily afford to fund a proper care for seniors and disabled -- just like Canada or Germany do.

NO!

Canada is raising the retirement age to 67. Eventually, they too will have to raise it even higher. I really don't feel up to digging up all the graphs. If you do not understand that Medicare spending is going to eat up our federal budget over the next forty years, then you are lost. Costs will have to be cut or the program will implode. Raising the retirement age is the only logical answer to keep full benefits available to retirees.

Where are your numbers?

The cost of medicare will rise by just 5% of GDP by 2045. If fully funded, it would still leave US behind the Northern Europe in terms of government spending -- and Germany or Sweden are far from implosion, thank you very much.

Then tell David Stockman, Reagan's director of the OMB to stop being a hater of capitalism and everything America once stood for.

It was he who brought the term into the broad American conscious.

He also later admitted that "trickle down" voodoo economics ruined the economy... well of just about the whole world.

Reagan insider: GOP destroyed economy - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch

Yeah, right, and Hitler "admitted" that the Jews were responsible for Germany's defeat in WW I.

My point is that we can easily afford to fund a proper care for seniors and disabled -- just like Canada or Germany do.

Who put you in charge of defining what the proper care for seniors is? Why should I be responsible for taking care of anyone but myself or the people I volunteer to take care of?

Then tell David Stockman, Reagan's director of the OMB to stop being a hater of capitalism and everything America once stood for.

It was he who brought the term into the broad American conscious.

He also later admitted that "trickle down" voodoo economics ruined the economy... well of just about the whole world.

Yeah, right, and Hitler "admitted" that the Jews were responsible for Germany's defeat in WW I.

Quit beating around the bush;come right out and say it: you're an idiot, a drooling, head-gear wearing idiot about 50 IQ-points short of mere functional retardation.

Quit beating around the bush;come right out and say it: you're an idiot, a drooling, head-gear wearing idiot about 50 IQ-points short of mere functional retardation.

I'm an idiot because I posted an accurate analogy to an absurd liberal excuse for "logic?"

Who put you in charge of defining what the proper care for seniors is? Why should I be responsible for taking care of anyone but myself or the people I volunteer to take care of?

The Founding Fathers. We all get to speak our opinions on government.

That's the fundamental flaw in Democracy: Even morons like you get a voice in how the country is run. Democracy is rule by the bottom 51%. The USA just proved that on Nov 6.

I'm an idiot because I posted an accurate analogy to an absurd liberal excuse for "logic?"
this coming from the guys who argues that the GOP plan to cut spending is to wait until they are told what the Dems are willing to cut only to disagree with it, all while not actually producing a plan of their own.

thats britpat logic right now.

this coming from the guys who argues that the GOP plan to cut spending is to wait until they are told what the Dems are willing to cut only to disagree with it, all while not actually producing a plan of their own.

thats britpat logic right now.

Like I told you, the Republicans never claimed to have a plan. Obama is the one with the plan. Obviously, he has no plan to cut spending. He wants to open the flood gates to spending. Why else would he want the debt limit repealed? Obama claimed he wanted a "balanced approach." Where's the balance?

That's the fundamental flaw in Democracy: Even morons like you get a voice in how the country is run. Democracy is rule by the bottom 51%. The USA just proved that on Nov 6.

Presicely. I guess the idea was, we all can speak out, even the drooling idiots. But if it's what most want, it's probably best, even if frustrating for toothless morons living in trailers in tornado alley.

Presicely. I guess the idea was, we all can speak out, even the drooling idiots. But if it's what most want, it's probably best, even if frustrating for toothless morons living in trailers in tornado alley.

The toothless morons are the ones who voted for Obama, moron.

"If it's what most want then it's probably for the best?" A plurality of Germans voted for Adolf Hitler in 1932. I guess that must have been for the best, eh?

Did you post your picture on the internet?

Moron.jpg

Forum List

Back