Sore Winners

Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
Sore Winners
Democrats might be magnanimous in victory.​
By Mona Charen

Ken Burns on Meet the Press, November 26, 2012 (NBC)

Post-election season is a time for healing, for putting aside the rancor of a long campaign and rediscovering what unites us. It has not been that way this year.

Prudence, one would think, if not generosity of spirit, should impel Democrats to be magnanimous in victory. Romney did receive about 48 percent of the vote. A little modesty among the winners would seem to be in order.

Instead, the gloating has been extravagant. Worse, liberals have gorged themselves on the same junk food they enjoyed during the campaign and cannot seem to resist under any circumstances — slandering their opponents. The smears are so casual and commonplace that we become weary of responding. But we must protest, or someone new to politics may assume that we concede the point.

Appearing on Meet the Press, documentary filmmaker Ken Burns attributed conservative unhappiness with the election to racism. “Race is always there in America,” Burns opined. “It’s always something we don’t want to talk about. Do you think we’d have a secession movement — a faddish movement — if this president wasn’t African-American? Do you think the vitriol that came out of some elements of the Tea Party would have been at the same level had this president not been African-American?”

Ken Burns is a fine filmmaker. I met him once, and found him to be engaging and amiable. It’s painful to see him descend to this kind of defamation. Some disappointed Republicans are talking secession in Texas and elsewhere. This is proof of racism? Is this the standard of evidence Burns employs for his films?

Secession talk is the overheated emotional venting of the disappointed. It is not the exclusive province of Republicans. In 2004, Jonathan Gurwitz of the Houston Chronicle reminds us, Democratic talking head Lawrence O’Donnell suggested that George W. Bush’s reelection would provoke “a serious discussion of secession over the next 20 years.” When a fellow panelist on the TV show in question asked “Are you calling for civil war?” O’Donnell replied “You can secede without firing a shot.” Bob Beckel was for kicking the southern United States out of the union that year. “Really, I think they ought to have their own confederacy.” Alec Baldwin, among others, had threatened to leave the country if Bush was reelected.

Sore Winners - Mona Charen - National Review Online

One has only to review the post in this forum to see the depths of racial bigotry in this nation. However, in spite of that, the majority of Americans voted for our President, so we have seen a marked improvement compared to the bigotry I saw as a child in the '50's.

One has only to review the post in this forum to see the depths of racial bigotry in this nation. However, in spite of that, the majority of Americans voted for our President, so we have seen a marked improvement compared to the bigotry I saw as a child in the '50's.

See my sig line? What do you think about what that sig line says?

A slight majority but a majority.
And are you suggesting the almost 50% that did not vote for Obama did not do so because they are racists...

Democrats don't owe you filthy NaziCon obstructionist bastards a damn thing!

What....How dare you!

Where are my food stamps
Where is my Obama phone....
Where is my unemployment check....and I want friggin 99 weeks of them.
And I want you guys to start taxing those rich fucks to the max...
I don't want all my free benefits to run out... :D

Democrats don't owe you filthy NaziCon obstructionist bastards a damn thing!

What....How dare you!

Where are my food stamps
Where is my Obama phone....
Where is my unemployment check....and I want friggin 99 weeks of them.
And I want you guys to start taxing those rich fucks to the max...
I don't want all my free benefits to run out... :D

Lose your job and you're welcome, dupe.

Clinton rate, 4% higher, is to the max? Change the channel, you're brainwashed. They've tripled their wealth under Voodoo and gotten 93% of the added wealth since 2008, while the rest of the country goes to Hell...Pub dupes!

See my sig line? What do you think about what that sig line says?

Fankly my dear, I don't give a damn. You clearly do not understad that the internet and written communication in general lacks a subtlety and clarity that maks spoken languarge more nuanced. Your sig line is intentionally opaque. Generous people therefore ignore it. It's too cute by half; learn to communicate clearly.

If Republjcants would merely accept the loss means they can't tell anyone else what to do any more there would be no need to remain sore winners reminding them YOU LOST daily.

Regards from Rosie

New Topics

Forum List

Back