Republican Congressmen want to help fraudsters rip off seniors...

This bill doesn't do a damn thing. It sets up a new agency to provide people with information about senior fraud, and educates seniors about who to contact about fraud.

A radically new agency that shall be known as the "Federal Trade Commission." Sounds ominous.

More like expensive and unnecessary.

What do you think bud....why don't we work on jobs for a change.

Maybe do something worthwhile and not increase the deficit.

Spend less time developing wedge-issues like AZ illegals and less time digging up dirt on Republicans and maybe pass something people like.

Last edited:
This bill doesn't do a damn thing. It sets up a new agency to provide people with information about senior fraud, and educates seniors about who to contact about fraud.

A radically new agency that shall be known as the "Federal Trade Commission." Sounds ominous.

You unusually do better than this.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it doesn't do anything. The OP acted like it would protect seniors, and it will not.

What's the matter boys, can't take your own talking point medicine?

Yeah, the post doesn't tell the whole story, it's a talking point.

How did you like your own tactics being thrown back at you?

Yeah boyee. Hit and run Spinimeister thread!

You have NOT provided the bill, we have no idea what is IN it. Or are you just so stupid you think we will buy the, cause the name is one thing, nothing else could be in it? I would suggest since you failed to provide the bill the reality is there IS something else in it.

Link your source and link the bill.

You have NOT provided the bill, we have no idea what is IN it. Or are you just so stupid you think we will buy the, cause the name is one thing, nothing else could be in it? I would suggest since you failed to provide the bill the reality is there IS something else in it.

Here. Should take you about 2 minutes to read the text in its entirety.

Ya I agree with te Republicans, this bill does nothing except spend Government money for "education" programs. It is a waste of tax payer funds.

The primary question by most has been what was it attached to or what was attached to it.

If you think it will take only two mins to read through that shit....your a lying sack of horse pucky.

One thing for sure...they sure want to increase awareness....fucking politically correct jargon for "We want you to feel good about our intentions" but what it really means is "We want you to forget we've been fucking you in the ass for the last 4 years."

The primary question by most has been what was it attached to or what was attached to it.

If you go to THOMAS (the link I provided), you'll find that Library of Congress collects all information relevant to the bill. Things like the text, CBO scores (if any), the official summary from the Congressional Research Service, etc. What's relevant here is the stuff on the far right panel, where they show you Congressional actions, which will include amendments. Under "major Congressional actions" for this particular bill you'll see "Latest Major Action: 7/29/2010 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 335 - 81 (Roll no. 487)."

Suspension of the rules means no amendments were allowed on this bill. What you see is what you get.

If you think it will take only two mins to read through that shit....your a lying sack of horse pucky.

Eight pages (five of them just a list of why the sponsor felt the bill was necessary), double spaced with several inch margins isn't a quick read?

Last edited:

If you go to THOMAS (the link I provided), you'll find that Library of Congress collects all information relevant to the bill. Things like the text, CBO scores (if any), the official summary from the Congressional Research Service, etc. What's relevant here is the stuff on the far right panel, where they show you Congressional actions, which will include amendments. Under "major Congressional actions" for this particular bill you'll see "Latest Major Action: 7/29/2010 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 335 - 81 (Roll no. 487)."

Suspension of the rules means no amendments were allowed on this bill. What you see is what you get.

Eight pages (five of them just a list of why the sponsor felt the bill was necessary), double spaced with several inch margins isn't a quick read?

Ask Obama why he couldn't read a 10 page bill in AZ before mouthing off about it.

The answer is not only won't you be able to read the thing in 2 mins but you won't be able to understand it in two hours.

After all I'm just a stupid voter who's not tapped into the machine like you are. Besides....Obama and company are so much smarter then I....why don't they just explain it to us in terms we all can understand?

Last edited:
The answer is not only won't you be able to read the thing in 2 mins but you won't be able to understand it in two hours.

And when you don't want to read a bill in it's entirety, you can read the official summary of its provisions prepared by the Congressional Research Service (also right there on the THOMAS link), which for this short bill is:

SUMMARY AS OF:
6/25/2009--Introduced.

Senior Financial Empowerment Act of 2009 - Requires the Federal Trade Commission (FTC): (1) to disseminate to seniors and their families and caregivers information on mail, telemarketing, and Internet fraud targeting seniors, including on ways of referring complaints to appropriate law enforcement agencies; (2) in response to a request about a particular entity or individual, to provide publicly available information on any record of civil or criminal law enforcement action for such fraud; and (3) to maintain a website as a resource for such individuals on those kinds of fraud.

Directs the Attorney General to establish and administer a competitive grant program for mail, telemarketing, and Internet fraud prevention education programs for senior citizens.

Expresses the sense of Congress with respect to public awareness of the impact of such fraud on senior citizens.​

And when you don't want to read a bill in it's entirety, you can read the official summary of its provisions prepared by the Congressional Research Service (also right there on the THOMAS link), which for this short bill is:

SUMMARY AS OF:
6/25/2009--Introduced.

Senior Financial Empowerment Act of 2009 - Requires the Federal Trade Commission (FTC): (1) to disseminate to seniors and their families and caregivers information on mail, telemarketing, and Internet fraud targeting seniors, including on ways of referring complaints to appropriate law enforcement agencies; (2) in response to a request about a particular entity or individual, to provide publicly available information on any record of civil or criminal law enforcement action for such fraud; and (3) to maintain a website as a resource for such individuals on those kinds of fraud.

Directs the Attorney General to establish and administer a competitive grant program for mail, telemarketing, and Internet fraud prevention education programs for senior citizens.

Expresses the sense of Congress with respect to public awareness of the impact of such fraud on senior citizens.​

I'm really sure that's all it's about.

Jesus you're gullible.

I thought Obama just took over all the banks and financial institutions, why would seniors need protection from Obama the Magnificent?

Oh, I see, this is different fraud from mail fraud or wire fraud it's fraud against Senior citizens, right. So we need a whole new infrastructure to cover this.

Makes sense.

Isn't this bill just about Obama's concerns for internet rip-off awareness towards seniors?

Obama isn't in Congress. Believe it or not, not every bill introduced in Congress is about Obama.

Jesus you're gullible.

It is. You could read the text yourself but I understand 8 pages is a pretty lengthy read. As noted above, this passed the House under suspension of the rules with 335 ayes. It's not particularly controversial, nor is it incomprehensible.

Government isn't really all that opaque, most people are just lazy.

Oh, I see, this is different fraud from mail fraud or wire fraud it's fraud against Senior citizens, right. So we need a whole new infrastructure to cover this.

Makes sense.

Obama's attack is two-fold....first he raises a concern towards Seniors....showing he's tuned into their needs....then he shows them the need for governmental intervention.

Whala....he takes over the internet. Old people will sing his praises.

And you and me will become targets for his hit-squads.

Makes sense.

Obama's attack is two-fold....first he raises a concern towards Seniors....showing he's tuned into their needs....then he shows them the need for governmental intervention.

Whala....he takes over the internet. Old people will sing his praises.

And you and me will become targets for his hit-squads.

Now, according to Obama Eugenicists Ezekiel Emanuel, these seniors are just about out of their useful "Life Years" anyway, so I don't see why any of this matters to Obama

Isn't this bill just about Obama's concerns for internet rip-off awareness towards seniors?

Obama isn't in Congress. Believe it or not, not every bill introduced in Congress is about Obama.

Jesus you're gullible.

It is. You could read the text yourself but I understand 8 pages is a pretty lengthy read. As noted above, this passed the House under suspension of the rules with 335 ayes. It's not particularly controversial, nor is it incomprehensible.

Government isn't really all that opaque, most people are just lazy.

Yeah sure, the Dems in Congress and the DEM in the white house do not coordinate or anything. Yep yep

Liberals want seniors to die off. The younger they are the more Liberal and ignorant they are.

:)

Forum List

Back