Report: Younger Transplant Patients Would Get the Best Kidneys

I thought this was common sense? Give a heart, or whatever organ happens to be at issue, to someone who has a long & productive life ahead of them or a 70 yr old, Florida, couch potato, retiree?

See ^^^^ that's a death panel. Anyone who thinks it's ok to decide who lives and who dies.

Apparently, 70 year old add no value to society. Who knew?

Emotive pap CG. If there is only ONE heart and two recipiants, then who should get it? Who gets to decide? A decision has to be made.

One heart, two recipients. Older person has been on the waiting list for 5 years; younger patient has been on the list for 6 months.

Who gets the transplant?

Person on the list the longest. First come, first serve.

younger patients already get priority in transplants.

unless you have cash like steve jobs.

Not what the article says. Do you have another source?

The nation's organ-transplant network may give younger, healthier people preference over older, sicker patients for the best kidneys, the Washington Post reported on Thursday. Instead of giving priority to patients who have been on the waiting list longest, the new rules would match recipients and organs based on factors such as age and health -- an attempt to maximize the number of years provided by each kidney, the newspaper reported.
Did you miss my quoted text from your article??? The changes are "proposed". The operative words are "if" & "possible", proving that the "proposed" policies weren't written into the HC bill. If they were in the HC bill, they wouldn't be being "proposed" right now.
The point is that the Dems denied Death Panels in their healthcare bill. Are people going to be deciding who gets transplants based on age in this bill? Yes. Ergo, death panels exist in ObamaCare.

You can whine from now till doomsday about it but.... Obama lied. Again.

Apparently you didn't read Willow's article lol:
Report: Younger Transplant Patients Would Get the Best Kidneys | CNSnews.com
According to one bioethicist, if the changes are adopted,

Besides they are contracted-out just like Bu$h II contracted out BlackWater:
reviewing possible changes for the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), a private nonprofit group contracted by the federal government

Game, set, and match :cool:

Last edited:
See ^^^^ that's a death panel. Anyone who thinks it's ok to decide who lives and who dies.

Emotive pap CG. If there is only ONE heart and two recipiants, then who should get it? Who gets to decide? A decision has to be made.

One heart, two recipients. Older person has been on the waiting list for 5 years; younger patient has been on the list for 6 months.

Who gets the transplant?

Why should it be first come first served? How about who needs it most?

I thought this was common sense? Give a heart, or whatever organ happens to be at issue, to someone who has a long & productive life ahead of them or a 70 yr old, Florida, couch potato, retiree?

So I guess you are pissed at Governor Jan Brewer for arbitrarily denying folks that were previously approved, organ transplants. Thus far killing 2 people..and she still can't explain why she cut funding. The money was in the state coffer ready to roll.

Who gets the transplant?

Why should it be first come first served? How about who needs it most?

They both 'need it most'. Why shouldn't it be whoever has been waiting the longest?

The nation's organ-transplant network may give younger, healthier people preference over older, sicker patients for the best kidneys, the Washington Post reported on Thursday. Instead of giving priority to patients who have been on the waiting list longest, the new rules would match recipients and organs based on factors such as age and health -- an attempt to maximize the number of years provided by each kidney, the newspaper reported.

"We're trying to best utilize the gift of the donated organ," the Post quoted Kenneth Andreoni, an associate professor of surgery at Ohio State University, as saying. Andreoni chairs the committee that is reviewing possible changes for the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), a private nonprofit group contracted by the federal government to coordinate organ allocation. "It's an effort to get the most out of a scarce resource."

Some bioethicists call it age discrimination.

yep,, and steal 960Billion dollars from medicare and you got "Sarah Palin was right"

What they did was good medical sense. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made. An organ should be placed where it will have the longest survival rate, not based on who was on the list longer.

Cutting govt spending will have unforseen consequences.

Something like 2/3 of medicare spending is done in the last year of a persons life.

He didn't cut gov. spending asshole. He stole 960 Billion dollars from the people who need care the most. He most definitely didn't cut jack shit. Just say it.. Sarah Palin was correct.. it won't hurt a bit.

The money was taken from Medicare Advantage, nothing was cut from traditional Medicare benefits. Don't worry, your government healthcare is still safe.

Most do not understand that Medicare Advantage is privatization of medicare, and just swapping the death panel thing over to a corporation.

"We're trying to best utilize the gift of the donated organ," the Post quoted Kenneth Andreoni, an associate professor of surgery at Ohio State University, as saying. Andreoni chairs the committee that is reviewing possible changes for the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), a private nonprofit group contracted by the federal government to coordinate organ allocation. "It's an effort to get the most out of a scarce resource."

yep,, and steal 960Billion dollars from medicare and you got "Sarah Palin was right"

What they did was good medical sense. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made. An organ should be placed where it will have the longest survival rate, not based on who was on the list longer.

Absolutely. I was on the list longer sounds like a union seniority thing.

Or one could look at it as a sound fiscal decision. Who will the govt get more return on investment from for the transplant a 20 yr old or a 70 yr old?

sorry folks but cutting spending has some effects that will not be popular.
for myself I would gladly give up the last year of my life so that a youngster would have a future. Family, children, etc.

But alas they do not want any of my organs, just shot to hell.

Last edited:

NEWSFLASH CaliBrat!!! Insurance co's are also death panels. They just happen to have a profit-motive which makes them A-OK by you eh?
Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN
Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies
HEALTH INSURANCE

June 05, 2009|By Theresa Tamkins

This year, an estimated 1.5 million Americans will declare bankruptcy. Many people may chalk up that misfortune to overspending or a lavish lifestyle, but a new study suggests that more than 60 percent of people who go bankrupt are actually capsized by medical bills.

Bankruptcies due to medical bills increased by nearly 50 percent in a six-year period, from 46 percent in 2001 to 62 percent in 2007, and most of those who filed for bankruptcy were middle-class, well-educated homeowners, according to a report that will be published in the August issue of The American Journal of Medicine.

What insurance companies do or do not do is not the point. The point is that the Dems denied Death Panels in their healthcare bill. Are people going to be deciding who gets transplants based on age in this bill? Yes. Ergo, death panels exist in ObamaCare.

The private group that regulates organ donations is not part of health care reform...they have been regulating organ donations for decades.

Or one could look at it as a sound fiscal decision. Who will the govt get more return on investment from for the transplant a 20 yr old or a 70 yr old?

for myself I would gladly give up the last year of my life so that a youngster would have a future. Family, children, etc.

One thing I have learned, over the last couple of years, is that a considerable amount of conservatives only care about whats in for them now.

One thing I have learned, over the last couple of years, is that a considerable amount of conservatives only care about whats in for them now.

:clap2:

NEWSFLASH CaliBrat!!! Insurance co's are also death panels. They just happen to have a profit-motive which makes them A-OK by you eh?
Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN

What insurance companies do or do not do is not the point. The point is that the Dems denied Death Panels in their healthcare bill. Are people going to be deciding who gets transplants based on age in this bill? Yes. Ergo, death panels exist in ObamaCare.

Please point to the specific portion of the bill that even remotely mentions death panels. Go ahead.....this should be good.

I'm putting it at 90% chance you just ignore your BS being called out AGAIN, like you always do.

And look who was right. Not a peep from CG. Shocking? Not all when you learn that she is all hot air and no facts.

Organs should be placed where they have the longest survivability when there are several prime matches.

I know it is playing god, but the harvest of viable organs is to small to wast them.

That's okay folks, I'm cool with it. Just so ya know though that there are death panels and Sarah Palin was correct. You owe her an apology.

That's okay folks, I'm cool with it. Just so ya know though that there are death panels and Sarah Palin was correct. You owe her an apology.

With donor placement this is nothing new. It is not about death panels, but about the best match at the time of harvest.

With donor placement this is nothing new. It is not about death panels, but about the best match at the time of harvest.

age discrimination was never a factor in making the best match. If this law passes it will be. Just be honest about it. Now to decide knowingly that the old will be allowed to die is a Death Panel. All it calls for is naming it what it is. A death Panel. Sarah Palin should be President. She was the only one honest enough to call it.

That's why he stole that 960 Billion dollars he knew we wouldn't be needing it.

age discrimination was never a factor in making the best match. If this law passes it will be. Just be honest about it. Now to decide knowingly that the old will be allowed to die is a Death Panel. All it calls for is naming it what it is. A death Panel. Sarah Palin should be President. She was the only one honest enough to call it.

I would not call it a death panel at all. It is about placing an organ at the time of harvest, where it has the best and longest survivability. Though both young and old can and do reject organs.

Placing an organ in a younger healthy body that has a longer life span as opposed to an older sicker body with a shorter life span is stupid.

Anyone on "the list" is going to die anyway, They got their on their own, no death panel required to put them there. The ones who receive the gift of a donated organ are given a second chance at life.

Organs are not like drugs and hip replacements where the parts are manufactured. They are not surgeries that are given or withheld because of cost efficiency.

I would not call it a death panel at all. It is about placing an organ at the time of harvest, where it has the best and longest survivability. Though both young and old can and do reject organs.

Placing an organ in a younger healthy body that has a longer life span as opposed to an older sicker body with a shorter life span is stupid.

Anyone on "the list" is going to die anyway, They got their on their own, no death panel required to put them there. The ones who receive the gift of a donated organ are given a second chance at life.

Organs are not like drugs and hip replacements where the parts are manufactured. They are not surgeries that are given or withheld because of cost efficiency.

Old people shouldn't give organs. Old organs are worn out. I got it.

Old people shouldn't give organs. Old organs are worn out. I got it.

I have never said that old people should not give or receive organs. I am saying that if there is more then one match for the organ it should be placed in the body that has the longest visibility for the organ. Notice that i do not say old or young. I say the one where the organ has the longest chance survivability.

And as to old people donating organs. A friends wife got a corneal replacement that failed in less then a year. It turns out that that donor was over 80.

Old people should donate all viable organs right along with younger people and increase the chances of anyone who needs organs and tissue.

Forum List

Back