Replying to a Specific Quote

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
I have been away from USMB for a while. Now that I am back, I am trying to figure out how to adjust to all of the changes in format to the site.

I am particularly puzzled by something that never used to be a problem - replying to a specific quote in a specific post. Let's say you see a post that you want to respond to. It used to be that you could easily do so with one click of the mouse. As I recall, you would hit "Quote" and when you posted your response, the post/quote you were responding to would appear directly above your response. Simple.

Now, not so much. Now, when I respond to a post, the post I am responding to is nowhere to be seen. Instead, there is some other post directly above my response. The result is, my response is rendered meaningless because the context of what I am responding to is missing.

Is there a way to just respond to a post without all that other stuff getting in the way? I'm sure there is.

What is it?

I have been away from USMB for a while. Now that I am back, I am trying to figure out how to adjust to all of the changes in format to the site.

I am particularly puzzled by something that never used to be a problem - replying to a specific quote in a specific post. Let's say you see a post that you want to respond to. It used to be that you could easily do so with one click of the mouse. As I recall, you would hit "Quote" and when you posted your response, the post/quote you were responding to would appear directly above your response. Simple.

Now, not so much. Now, when I respond to a post, the post I am responding to is nowhere to be seen. Instead, there is some other post directly above my response. The result is, my response is rendered meaningless because the context of what I am responding to is missing.

Is there a way to just respond to a post without all that other stuff getting in the way? I'm sure there is.

What is it?

Yes there is George. Hitting the "reply" button will quote the last few levels "nested", and if the one you're after wasn't the last one it could be buried in there, which can be pretty messy to do surgery on.

But let's say you want to zero in on a specific line (or it could be the whole post) -- highlight the part you want to quote and you'll see a black box pop up that says "+quote / reply". Hit the "+quote" and whatever you highlighted will be put into a kind of clipboard the site uses. Then come to your reply box, hit the "insert quotes" button, and it will show up like this:

Let's say you see a post that you want to respond to

--- note that that "clipboard" will keep carrying quotes until you either use them or dismiss them, so watch what's being inserted so that you don't insert something old from a different thread.

Hope this helps.

What is it?
family_guy_meme_by_aaliastar-d58bw62.png

Forum List

Back