Email updates

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
please, please please take me off the list of email updates. I don't expect them, I don't want them, and it detracts from the reputation of usmb, it's cheap. If it costs money it is a waste of money. What's the point? Yea think I am going to drop,what I am doing to go check out a thread. Not everyone is a pajama boy or girl, some of us have real lives. Let's at least pretend to have some class by not needing 24/7 hype to turn our membership into reactionary drones. Promote critical thinking, not connectivity.

please, please please take me off the list of email updates. I don't expect them, I don't want them, and it detracts from the reputation of usmb, it's cheap. If it costs money it is a waste of money. What's the point? Yea think I am going to drop,what I am doing to go check out a thread. Not everyone is a pajama boy or girl, some of us have real lives. Let's at least pretend to have some class by not needing 24/7 hype to turn our membership into reactionary drones. Promote critical thinking, not connectivity.
Shrimpbox At the top of post #1 it should say "Watch Thread." If it says "Unwatch Thread" click on that to unwatch. If you're getting e-mails on every subject, go to "Forums" page and click "Unwatch"

Sup Shrimp! :bye1:

That's supposed to be a checkmark option. And when I see it "without email updates" is the default.
You might have to unsubscribe from threads individually. I don't know of a place to change global preferences.

Shrimpbox At the top of post #1 it should say "Watch Thread." If it says "Unwatch Thread" click on that to unwatch. If you're getting e-mails on every subject, go to "Forums" page and click "Unwatch"

IIRC he doesn't want to unwatch; he just wants to stop e-mail notifications.

But if you do want to unwatch you can click on "There may be more to view" which gives all the threads you're watching, whether you've seen the latest entries or not --- on that list will be a check-box to the left of each topic. You can check all the ones you want to unwatch and select it at the bottom, do 'em all at once.

Shrimp, it might be easier to just unwatch everything and then re-build the ones you do want to watch, making sure e-mail notifications is not checked.

Ok guys thanks for trying to help me, but I am confused. The only thing I want to stop is email notifications on my phone. Are you saying there is a place on the email to unsubscribe or do I have to do it within this site. I only just got my first alert today but that is already one too many.

I don't use any of the features you are talking about. I just cruise around until I find something that interests me. I have no people or subjects bookmarked. I just assumed usmb had started putting out emails as part of the sites evolution process.

Thank both of you again for your help.

Hey Shrimp, try this --
Open your "my account" page, look for "Latest Alerts" and then click into "preferences". When you get on that page you should see a list of options that tell the site what to do for a number of things, one of which is "watch threads when you post in it" (sump'm like that) and under that, "and receive e-mail notifications". If you find that box is checked, there's your culprit, uncheck it.

You might still have to stop watching (unsubscribe) from threads you're already watching now though. Hope this helps.

(now how did my text go to subscript there? Don't know how that happened...)

Ok guys thanks for trying to help me, but I am confused. The only thing I want to stop is email notifications on my phone. Are you saying there is a place on the email to unsubscribe or do I have to do it within this site. I only just got my first alert today but that is already one too many.

I don't use any of the features you are talking about. I just cruise around until I find something that interests me. I have no people or subjects bookmarked. I just assumed usmb had started putting out emails as part of the sites evolution process.

Thank both of you again for your help.
I think what you need to do is go to www.usmeassageboard.com/account/contact-details
and UNCHECK the box for "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

I never get emails.

Under your preferences uncheck the box that says "and receive email notifications of replies"

I have that one unchecked and never get emails from USMB.

Hope that helps.

I don't have any of that email for replies stuff. I did uncheck site mailings under privacy and contacts I think. That is what I was getting I believe. I had no success with the other suggestions but that may be because of my technological ineptitude, but thanks anyway

I don't have any of that email for replies stuff. I did uncheck site mailings under privacy and contacts I think. That is what I was getting I believe. I had no success with the other suggestions but that may be because of my technological ineptitude, but thanks anyway

Ya know, I don't think I ever got e-mail notices but I don't know for sure, because I signed up an e-mail address just to join this site back in '12 and never checked it again. I don't even know what that address was any more. If it continues to be a problem you could try that.

This should show up under your profile, under preferences, browsing preferences. Make sure the part that is in red is unchecked so you don't get any emails when someone replies to a thread you are watching.

Options
  • Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
    • and receive email notifications of replies
  • Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages
  • Use the Flash-based uploader to upload attachments
  • Show people's signatures with their messages
  • Show your online status
    This will allow other people to see when you are online.
    • Show your current activity
      This will allow other people to see what page you are currently viewing.

This should show up under your profile, under preferences, browsing preferences. Make sure the part that is in red is unchecked so you don't get any emails when someone replies to a thread you are watching.

Options
  • Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
    • and receive email notifications of replies
  • Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages
  • Use the Flash-based uploader to upload attachments
  • Show people's signatures with their messages
  • Show your online status
    This will allow other people to see when you are online.
    • Show your current activity
      This will allow other people to see what page you are currently viewing.
That will work...but here's an easier way.
  • scroll to the top of any page...you should see your avatar, your screen name, Inbox, Alerts....in the bar at the top of the screen
  • move your cursor over your avatar....you should see a selection pallet (called "Your Profile Page"
  • click on Contact Details
  • scroll down to a choice called "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"
  • UN-check the box
  • DONE

Well explained guys. I've got it on those, but let me reiterate. The email alert I got was from usmb and it had nothing to do with my posts. It named about three different threads that had been posted suggesting I might be interested in them and I needed to check in.

Well explained guys. I've got it on those, but let me reiterate. The email alert I got was from usmb and it had nothing to do with my posts. It named about three different threads that had been posted suggesting I might be interested in them and I needed to check in.
Try this....
  • at the top of any page...drag cursor over your own avatar...you should see a selection window below.
  • click on "Contact Details"
  • look at "Messaging Preferences"
  • UNCHECK ALL THREE BOXES
  • SCROLL TO BOTTOM AND CLICK ON "SAVE CHANGES"
  • TAKE THREE ASPIRIN
  • CALL ME IN THE MORNING...
  • :beer:

Forum List

Back