Repent...the end is near

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by p kirkes, Jul 10, 2008.

1. p kirkes

p kirkes VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    An old cliche from the cold war where a white bearded monk in robes carrying a sign with the above inscription announced the end of the world because the superpowers were bent on MAD (mutual assured destruction).

Well, it may be time to resurrect that old geezer because Iran and America seem to be hell bent for war.

Events are unfolding fast, hardly time to analyze the situation when a new development rears it's ugly head.

We should either have a standoff (ala cold war) or fighting withing 12-18 months.

The line up: USA + some EU nations vs everybody else that doesn't declare neutrality.

2. busara

busara wanasiasa wapumbava

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    it truly is the beginning of the end

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    What we they be fighting over? The right to have nuclear weapons ?

4. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    p_kirkes:

The problem with trying to have a stand off with Iran ala the Cold War (and frankly, the problem with Iran having nukes in the first place), is that for all their faults and foibles, the USSR was a rational actor and Iran isn't. The USSR (mostly because of Russian history) was xenophobic, not without cause. And, it made them act in particular ways. One of the ways they acted was with a strong sense of self-preservation.

A penchant for self-preservation has not been particularly well demonstrated by any country or citizen/subject of a country in the middle-east that I can think of. Therefore, if you let Iran get the bomb, why would you think they wouldn't use it on Israel even though they know they will be nuked to kingdom come? Isn't just a suicide bombing on a macro scale? What in all the things you have learned by watching this conflict unfold would lead you to believe the Iranian government wouldn't be okay with making that trade-off?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. p kirkes

p kirkes VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Tech Esq;

Your differentiation between USSR and Iran is a good point. The single factor that comforts me in thinking of a stand-off with the USA and EU is the Iranian people themselves not the leadership. I don't believe Iranians have a death wish or embrace suicide as a weapon. That seems to be an Arab technique, not Persian.

There is a big disconnect between what the Iranians aspire to and hope for and what their clerical leadership is promoting through their bellicose posturing.

I think the Iranian leadership is counting on that very thing in the US. A disenfranchised populace vis a vi President Bush and his administration.

This could be a bigger bluff than Saddam's WMD thing but with more tragic consequences. Because Israel might jump the wrong way and we are thus guilty by association.

My hope is that the Iranian people can rise up and be "heard" by their leadership. I'm not saying revolution, but a strong disaffection expressed publicly. Much the same way American's are embracing "change".

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    What worries me is that in both the US and Iran the leaders fervently believe in an after-life.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Yeah, our leaders are so like the leaders of Iran, who call for jihad.

8. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    The problem with Iran having nukes is the fact they are led by Religious Extreamist who would just love to bring about the end of he world, and the return on the 12th imam.

This is why Iran is so troubling. Because I do not think they have reason to fear our inevitable massive retaliation if they attack us. In fact I think some of them would welcome it.

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Did you deliberately miss the point or was it just one of those things Ali?

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think she was referring to the fact that they aren't trying to get to the afterlife at the same pace nor for the same reasons.