Rep Tactic: No incentive to be a DR because the Gov will dictate what they can charge

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
LOL, what a weak argument then in fact right now the insurance companies dictate what a doctor can charge!

Let's see what drives up what doctors charge:
(1) School Costs: Imagine what 8 yrs of school costs $250K-$300K. I don't know but its alot. All new doctor have to make a ton to cover these costs. Solution, make acredited medical schools debt free with a 3 yr service in some lower paying situations after college. Make sure it remain competitive though. This in itself creates a huge incentive for the best and brightest to still join the field and a way to keep costs down.

(2) Admin Costs:
Doctors need a ton of people to just deal with administration costs. They need a few people to fight back in forth with insurance companies.

(3) Internal Collections:
All hospitals now have internal collection departments that are very expensive, yet very ineffective. UHC cuts them out.

(4) Unpaid Bills:
All emergency rooms have to treat the sick, whether illegal or uninsured. These bills go unpaid. They get added to the cost of good paying insured customer. Even the insured can be not covered in the plan (pre-existing conditions), under-insured, have a large deductible or large copay! Unpaid bills drive up the price as these unpaid bills become costs.

(5) ILLEGALS!
Own now I am labeled a racist. But illegal are a GIGANTIC burden on the healthcare system None have insurance, so they don't go to regular doctors. What they do is go to the emergency rooms, because they can't get turned away from the emergency room. They get free treatment and never pay the bill. Ask any hospital manager, illegal are a huge cause of price increase in hospitals.
SOLUTION: Treat illegal, but after that they immediately get detained upon recovery and sent to a holding cell for the authorities to pick them up for deportation hearing and for deportation!

(6) Medical Malipractice Insurance:
Its extremely expensive, but all doctors need it.

(7) Medical Malpractive Suits:
Here is the tricky question. The idiot extremist on the right will say cap rewards, make them tough to get or disallow them altogether. However there are many real problems that can be attributed to doctor negligence and carelessness that ruins people lives and in many cases cripples them and requires them to rely on other for the rest of their lives. Each situation is different and needs to treated differently. Its easy for a person to be heartlessly cold on not allowing compensation to a person hurt by doctor negligence, when they are not the injured person or the injured person is not their son, daughter, wife, husband, parent, cousin or friend. Rewards are unique and caps can easily create injustices.

HOWEVER, no caps on awards creates incertainties. Insurance companies rightfully have to account for even the worst case scenarios when assessing risk. I am not sure how to combat it but there must be something in place to make sure the injured is protected adequately, but the doctor is overburdened with extremely high malpractice insurance.

On top of that there is a legion of lawyers that take on frivolous cases in order to get a quick pay day. A defense attorney will cost a lot, so the hospital or doctor settles to save cash. Even cases that have some merit, but will eventually lose get settled because of the large cost of the defending it. Something has to be done here. Maybe attorney's fee levied against frivilous lawsuits and stricter sanctions against lawyers that do this. Not sure, because it could be a slippery slope!

I digress. In the end, doctor prices get fixed either way, by the insurance agencies or by the government. But if you really want to drive down costs, look at what drives up costs and tackle that!

Great post.Is there any truth to the rumor that HR3200 will dictate doctors salaries?

I believe so! Because there is only one person who will pay the bills. But I think its a major scare tactic to state that our best and brightest will stay out of the medical industry. From my understanding doctors in Canada and the UK make pretty good livings.

Here is an example of a ophthalmologist's salary in Canada!
Ophthalmologist salary in Canada is between 300 000 - 400 000 $ (average, depend in which province you would like to practise). In the private sector, you can reach the millions if you have you own centre!) Hope this answer you question!
Take a look on this website for Doctor wages in Canada:
http://www.cma.ca/multimedia/staticContent/HTML/N0/l2/MedStudentCentre/Medicine/income.pdf

The scare tactic from the pundits on the radio are trying to say that government run healthcare will dictate prices so doctors will make less. LOL, see the website I attached that doesn't seem to be the case. With less admins, no collection efforts including departments, more patients, no collection accounts (and if the high cost of malpractice insurance and litigation and the high cost of med school can be solved) then doctors could actually make more!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back