Rep. John Lewis On Ferguson: 'Declare Martial Law'

And did Lewis also say that martial law is for preventing "protesters" from looting and destroying property ?

Meh, probably not.

I think you may safely assume John Lewis does not approve of rioting and looting. And the governor's actions are a positive move.

But did he publicly call them out, and state that the martial law works both ways, that it not only protects the legitimate protesters, but it stops the rioters ?

HAHAHA!!!

You idiots. You think the police are strict and overbearing and intimidating........let the Army and Marines take charge.

You'll be begging for your "pigs" back.

How about surrounding the shitbags rioting and arrest them.

Instead of forming a police line to be an easy target, out-flank the bastards and catch them all and throw them all in the jail as felons.

HAHAHA!!!

You idiots. You think the police are strict and overbearing and intimidating........let the Army and Marines take charge.

You'll be begging for your "pigs" back.

The feds are already using local and state enforcement as their proxy for a good beat down on Joe q. You had better get your boys under control or the public may just smack those "pigs" down. Lol.

Last edited:
r-POLICE-huge.jpg

Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) called on President Barack Obama to declare martial law in Ferguson, Missouri, where police and protesters have clashed after a police officer shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown on Saturday.

"It is very sad and unbelievable. It's unreal to see what the police is doing there," Lewis said in a Thursday interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell. "First of all, Ferguson, Missouri, is part of the United States of America. People have a right to protest. They have a right to dissent. They have a right to march in an orderly, peaceful, nonviolent fashion. And the press has a right to cover it."

Lewis, whose skull was fractured by police during the 1965 march over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, told Mitchell that the situation in Ferguson reminds him of "the '40s, the '50s, the '60s," pointing to the dearth of black officers on the St. Louis suburb's police force.

"So my own feeling, right now, is that President Obama should use the authority of his office to declare martial law. Federalize the Missouri National Guard to protect people as they protest," Lewis said. "And people should come together. Reasonable elected officials, community leaders and address what is happening there."

Things must be really bad in Ferguson for this civil rights icon to ask Obama to declare martial law.

When I think of 'martial law', I think of Kent State University. that didn't turn out to well for the protestors.

"Students here, angered by the expansion of the war into Cambodia, have held demonstrations for the last three nights. On Saturday night, the Army Reserve Officers Training Corps building was burned to the ground and the Guard was called in and martial law was declared."
4 Kent State Students Killed by Troops

What in the hell is Lewis advocating? I think that the police should leave the non-violent protestors, bystanders, observers, and press alone and go after the criminals who don't give a shit about Ferguson and use this opportunity to create mayhem and destroy their own neighborhoods.

r-POLICE-huge.jpg

Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) called on President Barack Obama to declare martial law in Ferguson, Missouri, where police and protesters have clashed after a police officer shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown on Saturday.

"It is very sad and unbelievable. It's unreal to see what the police is doing there," Lewis said in a Thursday interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell. "First of all, Ferguson, Missouri, is part of the United States of America. People have a right to protest. They have a right to dissent. They have a right to march in an orderly, peaceful, nonviolent fashion. And the press has a right to cover it."

Lewis, whose skull was fractured by police during the 1965 march over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, told Mitchell that the situation in Ferguson reminds him of "the '40s, the '50s, the '60s," pointing to the dearth of black officers on the St. Louis suburb's police force.

"So my own feeling, right now, is that President Obama should use the authority of his office to declare martial law. Federalize the Missouri National Guard to protect people as they protest," Lewis said. "And people should come together. Reasonable elected officials, community leaders and address what is happening there."

Things must be really bad in Ferguson for this civil rights icon to ask Obama to declare martial law.

When I think of 'martial law', I think of Kent State University. that didn't turn out to well for the protestors.

"Students here, angered by the expansion of the war into Cambodia, have held demonstrations for the last three nights. On Saturday night, the Army Reserve Officers Training Corps building was burned to the ground and the Guard was called in and martial law was declared."

What in the hell is Lewis advocating? I think that the police should leave the non-violent protestors, bystanders, observers, and press alone and go after the criminals who don't give a shit about Ferguson and use this opportunity to create mayhem and destroy their own neighborhoods.

As I have repeatedly posted on this board - The Mayor of Ferguson said the looting was done by out-of-towners.

MISSOURI MAYOR: LOOTERS WERE OUT-OF-TOWNERS

r-POLICE-huge.jpg

As I have repeatedly posted on this board - The Mayor of Ferguson said the looting was done by out-of-towners.

MISSOURI MAYOR: LOOTERS WERE OUT-OF-TOWNERS

I'm glad that they have been identified as "out of towners" , but that still doesn't negate the fact that martial law DEFINITELY has the ability to deny the peaceful protestors their Civil Liberties. In my opinion, the allegations that the Huffington Post and Washington Post reporter made, would fit quite well with the way things could be with "martial law".

Forum List

Back