Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

JOKER96BRAVO

Aug 13, 2004
Tide of Child Obesity Rising in Rural U.S.

I'm not a religious man, but I would rather see junk food removed
from the school system than the word "God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.
I can teach my kids whatever religion I follow, or support (almost) any
religion they choose. Anyone else think we should remove
junk food from schools???

I cannot see how the inclusion of junk food helps them learn anything at all other than the clear message that Advertising and money are more important than the health and education of the children in their care.

I voted for keeping junk food in schools....simply because I believe in individual responsibility. The government does too much "protecting us from ourselves" types of things (in my opinion).

Are children at the grade school level old enough to be
"responsable" for the type of food that is available to them?

Most kids (to include teenagers) don't care about long term effects or
being fat untill it's to late.

I would think that parents have some say in how much money a grade school kid brings to school and how it is spent. I suspect that vending machines are the biggest venue for obtaining "junk food". I am not sure of this because I have not been to grade school in a very, very long time.

You would be correct about the vending machines,
but snacks of all fatty sorts are also available in the lunch rooms now.
A kid with $2.00 could easily buy a slice of pizza and a soda instead
of the healthy lunch mom and dad intended to pay for.

Doesn't matter about the 'menu' if the kids won't eat the lunch, there is no matter how 'healthy.' Most grammar school kids do not like a bunch of vegetables or strange meats that make up the bulk of 'healthy' lunches. Better to give them home lunches, even with fritos or ho ho's in them.

On the high school level many kids are into health, including vegetarianism. Then again, many are not. If not, take away what you will, they will find a way to get what they want, one way or the other.

Kathianne said:
Doesn't matter about the 'menu' if the kids won't eat the lunch, there is no matter how 'healthy.' Most grammar school kids do not like a bunch of vegetables or strange meats that make up the bulk of 'healthy' lunches. Better to give them home lunches, even with fritos or ho ho's in them.

On the high school level many kids are into health, including vegetarianism. Then again, many are not. If not, take away what you will, they will find a way to get what they want, one way or the other.

HS kids are likely able to leave campus in order to buy whatever food they wish.

However establishing healthy eating habits can more easily be done through education at the Elementary level. Teaching somebody about healthy food while serving them junk is not the best way to teach anything other than the fundamental attitude "do as we say, not what we exemplify."

no1tovote4 said:
HS kids are likely able to leave campus in order to buy whatever food they wish.

However establishing healthy eating habits can more easily be done through education at the Elementary level. Teaching somebody about healthy food while serving them junk is not the best way to teach anything other than the fundamental attitude "do as we say, not what we exemplify."

Come watch the kids throw their lunches away. There are many things they will not touch and are never 'hungry enough' to eat what they don't want. Performance slips throughout the afternoon as their energy level falls.

You would not believe how many kids do not have breakfast and then throw out lunch.

Kathianne said:
Come watch the kids throw their lunches away. There are many things they will not touch and are never 'hungry enough' to eat what they don't want. Performance slips throughout the afternoon as their energy level falls.

You would not believe how many kids do not have breakfast and then throw out lunch.

It doesn't mean that we should replace it with junk. There are healthy foods that are not disgusting, it may take some imagination but it will be worth it in the end.

Some things you cannot change though, even with junk available it seems the kids still throw away their food.

no1tovote4 said:
It doesn't mean that we should replace it with junk. There are healthy foods that are not disgusting, it may take some imagination but it will be worth it in the end.

Some things you cannot change though, even with junk available it seems the kids still throw away their food.

Kids tend to eat what their parents send, because the parents know what the kids will eat. You are wrong in not having the kids eat something, at leat through 15 they cannot go from 9 pm-3pm w/'o food. They are going home and wolfing down junk food.

Kathianne said:
Kids tend to eat what their parents send, because the parents know what the kids will eat. You are wrong in not having the kids eat something, at leat through 15 they cannot go from 9 pm-3pm w/'o food. They are going home and wolfing down junk food.

I didn't say they shouldn't eat something. If they are hungry they will eat what is available to them. Kids tend to eat what their parents send and that is fine. However you stated that they threw away their food after they had no breakfast. It is my opinion that it should not be replaced by junk. I do not know what you are trying to argue here.

I stated that food can be made available that is not junk food and is also not disgusting to kids. Kosher hotdogs, chicken, Mac & Cheese, etc. To simply say that we must serve junk or kids will starve is self-defeating and clearly in opposition to my personal experience in Elementary school.

no1tovote4 said:
I didn't say they shouldn't eat something. If they are hungry they will eat what is available to them. Kids tend to eat what their parents send and that is fine. However you stated that they threw away their food after they had no breakfast. It is my opinion that it should not be replaced by junk. I do not know what you are trying to argue here.

I stated that food can be made available that is not junk food and is also not disgusting to kids. Kosher hotdogs, chicken, Mac & Cheese, etc. To simply say that we must serve junk or kids will starve is self-defeating and clearly in opposition to my personal experience in Elementary school.
Nope, saying most schools do NOT have kosher hotdogs. They have soggy 'chicken fingers', mac and cheese that smells. Those with lunches from home fare much better and even they will throw out anything that 'smells' ie. bananas; looks funny and kids will make fun of it, just about anything ethnic; etc.

I'm NOT arguing for junk food, but would rather they have something, even junk food, rather than a lunch that has been tossed, in the name of a healthy lunch.l

Kathianne said:
Nope, saying most schools do NOT have kosher hotdogs. They have soggy 'chicken fingers', mac and cheese that smells. Those with lunches from home fare much better and even they will throw out anything that 'smells' ie. bananas; looks funny and kids will make fun of it, just about anything ethnic; etc.

I'm NOT arguing for junk food, but would rather they have something, even junk food, rather than a lunch that has been tossed, in the name of a healthy lunch.l

It seems that improving their choices is something that we can agree on then. It was exactly my point that this is what we need to improve, including soggy Mac & Cheese.

no1tovote4 said:
It seems that improving their choices is something that we can agree on then. It was exactly my point that this is what we need to improve, including soggy Mac & Cheese.

Personally, I'm glad my kids were able to walk home for lunch in grammar school. Glad I or my mom was there to make lunches they could eat. Truth is, kids from about 8-12 are very fussy for the most part. Also very self-concious and know some foods will bring commentary, so in the garbage it goes.

The only healthy lunch system I have heard of working was limited, McDonald's salad bar was a big hit in the high school, but they were removed because they offered burgers too. No fries, though they had fresh fruit, veggies and dip, and frozen yogurt. Go figure.

Kathianne said:
Personally, I'm glad my kids were able to walk home for lunch in grammar school. Glad I or my mom was there to make lunches they could eat. Truth is, kids from about 8-12 are very fussy for the most part. Also very self-concious and know some foods will bring commentary, so in the garbage it goes.

The only healthy lunch system I have heard of working was limited, McDonald's salad bar was a big hit in the high school, but they were removed because they offered burgers too. No fries, though they had fresh fruit, veggies and dip, and frozen yogurt. Go figure.

I always just ate the hot lunch served at the school. The only thing I ever threw away was the "raisin pudding" and the peas (they crushed them).

I'm all for a healthier lunch at school, but crushed peas???
My school gave us a choice of veggie, main course, bread, and
some sort of snack. We didn't have open campus to leave for lunch
and we didn't have vending machines, thank God.

the country grew strong by letting people sell whatever they could.
So I against a ban on junk food.

But I would like if their was some health food offered also.

In the end it should be a place more open to other vendors.
No exclusive Pepsi deals etc.

Forum List

Back