Boy Scouts Beware!!

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Boy Scouts Emergency
By Hans Zeiger (03/14/05)

The American Civil Liberties Union is a monster. Threatened by the slightest letter on ACLU letterhead, a victim yields and forgets Winston Churchill’s exhortation to “never give in.” One after another for decades, American institutions have been giving in to the ACLU’s legal pursuit of political correctness. And the one institution that has been a symbol of strength and honor in the face of the ACLU, the Boy Scouts of America, may now be giving in.

Last month, the ACLU sent a letter to the Boy Scouts national headquarters threatening to sue any public school that sponsors a Boy Scout troop. A troop that is chartered to a public school is able to use its facilities and form important connections to the students of the school and the citizens of the community. According to a recent BSA annual report, the Boy Scouts’ third largest type of sponsor is public schools, numbering over 10,000 Cub Scout, Tiger Cub, and Boy Scout units for some 363,000 Boy Scouts.

In recent years, controversy has surrounded public school sponsorship of Scout troops in major cities, and several hundred school districts have made decisions to prohibit Scout charters. It has been claimed repeatedly – by the ACLU, by school board members, by individual litigants, and by activist judges – that a Boy Scout partnership with a school is a direct violation of the First Amendment to the Constitution. This is claimed precisely because the Boy Scouts believe in the standards of character that underlie the Constitution.

The Boy Scout Oath says, “On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, and to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.” If there is a single statement of self-government, that is it. But self-government isn’t cool with the ACLU. To maintain the belief that God reigns and that His order requires certain moral duties is to deny men their “right” to do wrong. Hold such rights as they may, men can never uphold the kind of Constitutional government we enjoy in America by exercising them. Character is the great requisite of American government.

The Boy Scouts are not about to abandon character. But there is no question that the ACLU has distracted the Scouts from singly pursuing its mission in recent years. A constant stream of litigation and controversy over its policies banning homosexuals and atheists has transformed the Boy Scouts from a universally respected community institution into a political and cultural symbol. The Boy Scouts of America has not changed – it clings to the same principles it did at its founding in 1910 – but the legal and moral culture has changed dramatically.

And at this moment, the Boy Scouts are feeling the weight of that change. The ACLU is the pressure agent, and the Boy Scouts realize the options: either give in or spend millions of dollars in the court of law and of public opinion defending the presence of chartered troops in America’s public schools.

“We obviously don't want that [expensive lawsuits against schools] to happen,” national Boy Scouts spokesman Gregg Shields told the Baptist Press. “Instead, the Boy Scouts have tried to protect the resources of our education partners by moving our charter from public schools to other community-based organizations such as parent-teacher organizations or Salvation Army units or nearby religious organizations.”

http://www.americandaily.com/article/7097

Scouts everywhere need to stand up to these evil people.

The Boy Scout Law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
and Reverent

I guess they should take out Clean and Reverent so that they don't insult the French and those that don't believe in God.

no1tovote4 said:
The Boy Scout Law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
and Reverent

I guess they should take out Clean and Reverent so that they don't insult the French and those that don't believe in God.

And everything else so as not to insult liberals :firing: :p:

Bonnie said:
And everything else so as not to insult liberals :firing: :p:

Oh yeah, specifically have to remove the Obedient part, can't have kids being subjugated by rules from their parents!

This is, of course totally necessary. One day you have someone teaching Boy Scouts knot-tying in a public building, and the next thing you know the Pope is being declared head of state.

Can you beleive these theocratic parasites even have the unmitigated gall to drive on roads maintained by taxpayer dollars, and breate public air (the quality of which is which is maintained by federal standards of quality)?

It is my understanding, that a public school could "not" deny equal access to its facilities to religious organizations. However, government sponsored religious activity in public schools is unconstitutional. But religious student and community groups must have the same access to school facilities as non-religious groups

Further, the school would not be in violation of the constitution as allowing the boy scouts access does not break the three part test, secular purpose, excessive entanglement, and the advancement or inhibiting of religion. Here, the government is merely allowing an organization the believes in God to use the facilities for meetings and community outreach (a real big sin, especially because God's name might be mentioned). The secular purpose is community outreach. There is no entanglement as they are merely using the facilities which according to the law, the government can not discriminate against religious groups, let alone the boy scouts.

Forum List

Back