remington 700...misfires??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by strollingbones, Nov 6, 2010.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    interesting special on the remington 700 and the deaths by misfire.

a rifle you have to disengage the safety on to unload....

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
  3. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,489
    If this is the case then something needs to be done and Remington needs to answer however a lot of people and police agencies do special modifications to these rifles which could also be causing the problem. Hard to tell with only a short news blip that may or may not tell the whole story.

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    it was an hour show...you need to check it out ring....seems remington has known this for a while...

you have to disengage the safety to unload the gun....it fires if you touch the bolt...

5. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
  6. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    This has happened to me on a 700 in .270 I purchased in 2006. I was sitting in the woods in North Georgia one morning a couple of years ago, waiting on a deer. I raised the rifle on a coyote I saw behind a tree about 100 yards away. I decided to try a shot, as it was getting later in the morning and the deer just weren't moving. As I disengaged the safety, the rifle discharged with my finger alongside the outside of the trigger guard.

I've never loaded it again, and I never will.

I'm not a big fan of Remington (won't fire ANY of their ammo out of ANY gun), but they made some good stuff before 1960 or so.

There is also a recall on the Remington .17s.....597 I think? And all of their 17HMR ammo.

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,489
    I just did some initial online research and discovered a slew of articles concerning the 700. There appears to be a flaw in the Walker trigger group that all 700s use, Remingtons contention (back in the late 70s) was only about 1% of all 700s were affected with this so called "tricking" and that was due to improper use of the safety mechanism, unfortunately the problem looks even worse as these rifles get older and wear begins to be a factor. It also appears Remingtons decision not to do a recall based on the 1% finding was a bad decision as it was done for economic rather than safety reasons and they need to be held liable for that decision.

8. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,489
    The 700 is a great rifle just replace the Walker trigger group with the Jewell and you'll have a great rifle again.
    It ain't cheap but it's better than having an expensive club sitting around.
    Jewell Rifle Trigger Remington 700, 40X with Safety 1-1/2 oz to 3 lb Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

9. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I saw the documentary on this Remington 700 rifle on msnbc. Very scary, and shocking.
    To think that the company knew about the dangers of this Rilfe misfireing, and possibly causing deaths, well before mass production of the Rifle,and then proceeding to produce
    the Rifle, and covering up the the desigh flaw, seems criminal, and satanic that a company
    can do something like this , and get away with it. People have been killed, and maimed because of this willfull negligence. Capitalism at its worse. A situation were money and profits are valued more than human life.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I will bet some executives got bonuses for the 700 production.