Reminder: That incandescent light bulb ban was not a good idea

Truthseeker, LEDs aren't new but they've come along way from what they could do for the cost. That is the "latest and greatest" angle.

And you are completely wrong about whether they can be a viable candidate because of the nature of their lighting, go to a store that sells them and take a look. They have LED bulbs that give off warm 360 degree light and look great, but I'm not paying $45 for a light bulb.

They were used in early scientific calculators for many years. Anybody remember the Texas Instruments TRS-80? I used one during my college years.
The TRS-80 was a personal computer, not a calculator. It came with a crt monitor, not an LED display.

You are absolutely correct. The "scientific" calculator I used in college was the TI-30. I remember that we used to call the TRS-80 the "trash 80".

Give me a break. It was 30 years ago. :eusa_hand:

by Erika Johnsen
March 22, 2013

Why? Not merely because government directives might forcibly funnel consumer demand, investment, and R&D toward a product that really isn’t ready for mass consumption, but also because, no matter how great their intentions might be, the free market is always better than politicians at picking efficient solutions. The free market’s only bias is in appealing to people’s rational self-interest; i.e., if people figure out that Product A is more expensive or of lower quality than comparable substitute Product B, people will buy Product B.

In this case, the compact fluorescent bulbs politically favored by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 encountered a lot of resistance because CFLs are impractical, more expensive, and it turns out they might actually be a cancer risk, no big deal or anything. But if the goal is to get people to buy bulbs that use electricity more efficiently, government mandates aren’t nearly as effective as a product that can actually make those electricity savings more pragmatic, more affordable, and more worthwhile, and the market is happy to provide. Via the NYT:

You’ve probably seen LED flashlights, the LED “flash” on phone cameras and LED indicator lights on electronics. But LED bulbs, for use in the lamps and light sockets of your home, have been slow to arrive, mainly because of their high price…

That’s a pity, because LED bulbs are a gigantic improvement over incandescent bulbs and even the compact fluorescents, or CFLs, that the world spent several years telling us to buy.​

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Reminder: That incandescent light bulb ban was not a good idea « Hot Air
ANOTHER cut 'n paste theft by Wehrwolfen? :eusa_doh: You know you can get the board in trouble for posting large tracts of copyrighted material? The end result being we all suffer for your inability to craft your own threads you asswipe :fu:

Slowpoke Comics: Bulb Wars - Cartoon

ThDgGt2.png

Last edited:
There may be away around the ban. A clever German entrepreneur has found a way to get around a European Union ban on bright, incandescent light bulbs. He's selling them as mini-heaters, whose side-effect happens to produce light, Im sure this would work here too.

I live north of North Dakota. I like the heat they throw. Not everyone lives somewhere warm.
You need a heater, warming yourself with excess energy cast off light bulbs isn't the most efficient use of resources.

:lol:

Surely you jest?

I have a heater in every room in the house. We just came out of a spell of super deep freeze. Most of the winter has had night temps of -20 C.

It's hitting 0 today and I consider that a heat wave at this time of year. I'm looking for my Coppertone.

:)

I have slowly been converting to LEDs. I buy maybe one or two a month at $10-$20 a bulb. My kitchen lights go on first thing in the morning and go off last thing at night. I replaced four 60 watt bulbs with four seven watt LEDs. 240 watts down to 28 watts.

Big saving

:lol:

Surely you jest?

I have a heater in every room in the house. We just came out of a spell of super deep freeze. Most of the winter has had night temps of -20 C.

It's hitting 0 today and I consider that a heat wave at this time of year. I'm looking for my Coppertone.

:)
I'm in Arizona, so not jesting just unable to fathom being cold enough to want to rub my hands in front of light bulbs in late March. :D

84 and sunny today.

Forum List

Back