Remember The 'Bridge to Nowhere'?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well it didn't get built, but Ted Steven's hopes he can change that plan to a ferry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/20/AR2007122002518.html?hpid=topnews

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Jillian, do you really want me to post all the Democratic earmarks? I was justly criticizing Stevens, don't turn it more partisan. Please.

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    Oh...there are dem earmarks, too. I hate them also. But Stevens is the one who threw a giant temper tantrum about his so he deserves to get zotzed. ;)

Plus, to be fair, the dems aren't the ones talking about smaller governement and how it's every man for himself. They're greedy, but not quite as hypocritical about it.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well other than Paul, there are few Republicans talking small government either. GW being a case in point. When there is someone that will address the earmarks, out of control entitlement programs, etc., both parties will be in trouble.

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I do not know the details of this particular proposal and perhaps it is inappropriate. And I do not support the "earmark" process of slipped-under-the-table funding. The quoted WP article, however, is full of innuendo and sparse of fact regarding the project. In general, I have no problem with public funds being used for transportation infrastructure that opens new land for development. Apparently, the place in question is 2 hours from Anchorage by car, but only 15 minutes by ferry. If it was only 15 minutes from Anchorage, then it could be developed for housing. What is wrong with that? It is said someone owns the land and would benefit. Someone always benefits, and there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. If there had been a public uproar in the past every time public funds were used to build transportation infrastructure from some developed place to an undeveloped place, we'd still be living in the early 19th Century.

7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
  8. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    And someone always loses --- American taxpayers.

That's the problem with the liberal view of government spending. It's not manna from heaven. It's taking from one group, workers and taxpayers, and giving to another. The tax money saved could have gone toward education, mortgage payments, you name it, by the people. But no. They have it taken away, at gunpoint, so that Ted Stevens' well-connected friends can feather their nests. The "public good" is almost never the main concern, nor is "the national good."