Religions Rules

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by alan1, Oct 18, 2009.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I'm moving this conversation here because it has diverged from the original topic.

If one violates the rules of the religion, then yes, it is easy to say they aren't part of the religion. If they don't follow the rules of the religion then they aren't really a member. That's the way I see it.

2. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,450
    If I understand it correctly, private association is protected constitutionally. If you organize a KKK chapter in Florence, Texas (now there is a sink hole of folks who don't like each other), then you can tell a member of the Black Panther Party s/he needs to go find another organization to join.

That's why I support the constitutional right of the Boy Scouts to make certain decisions that I believe to be just wrong. And that is why I support any tax-supported entity in refusing to give money to the BSA.

Thus any religion can organize itself and exclude any the power leadership does not like. Repulsive? Sure. But constitutional.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
  4. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315

There is no objective universal barometer for any religion so all accusations are subjective.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    I suppose that depends on the religion.

Take mine: very easy to tell if they are really member.

If they are a baptized a member they are.

If they have not been baptized, have been excommunicated through a Church council, or petitioned to have their name removed from the records of the Church. They aren't.

Anyone who can check the records or with disciplinary powers have the authority to proclaim whether someone is really a member or not.

So not very difficult at all when there is a clear structure.

6. JD_2B

JD_2B Little Vixen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    That is correct-

To be a part of a group, you do have some sacrificing to make- you have to wait your turn to talk, for one thing, you have to respect that someone is sitting in a chair you generally like- Im just giving general examples, here..

Sociologically speaking, in order to really be a part of a group, you do have to follow along with that group's expectations, rights and responsibilities. Its like a social "group" code..

7. JD_2B

JD_2B Little Vixen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The rule of the group is to be baptized. Hence, to be a part of the group, one must follow the rule.
    That is how the group membership dynamic works.

Whew. Glad we got that cleared up... :lol:

8. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315

My point is that "clear structure" is open to being challenged because religion is a faith and not akin to belonging to another type of group like a country club. I was Baptized in a Mennonite church but before the actual event I protested the rule of the church stating if one is Baptized by a Mennonite pastor then that person is Baptized into the Mennonite church. Based on Paul's critcism to the church in Corinth, I absolutely refused on the grounds one can only be Baptized into Christ, nothing more or less. Some in the church did not recognize my Baptism. Did that mean I wasn't a Christian or a member of the church I attended every week and where I participated in many events?