Zone1 Religion is not needed if a "golden rule" is valued

We are NOW living in an era with "civilized" cultures, and with scientific knowledge.
Religion is not only NOT NEEDED anymore, but it is harmful between traditional cultures.
I guarantee you that if you zapped the world's largest religion, Christianity, off the planet, you would not like what would be left behind.

We are NOW living in an era with "civilized" cultures, and with scientific knowledge.
Religion is not only NOT NEEDED anymore, but it is harmful between traditional cultures.

Can we get rid of the cops, military, courts, lawyers, judges?

Do you lock your doors at night?

It depends on the religion. Are you religious? If so, what have you learned from your sacred book or authoritarian leader?
Yes, I am a person of faith. The first thing I learned is that each of us has a divine spark within us and to look for that divine spark in everyone I meet. The second thing I learned is that the Commandments, Beatitudes, teachings, etc., are not for God's benefit, but for our own.

As far as priests, bishops,popes...they are an insignificant part of faith life because they have so many others dependent on them. When I was little, one priest made a point of telling the class, "What did the readings or the homily ask you to do this week?" Did you do it, did you incorporate the teaching in your life? Then around high school another priest told us, "If you don't like my homilies, do you think up your own?" As a young adult, St. Teresa of Avila over five hundred years before I lived noted the truth of Church and religion in that, priests and Church can only get people up the steps and into the foyer of the more than seven levels with a plethora of rooms. Once they get you there, you are pretty much on your own because clergy is so busy with these first steps.

As far as the Bible/Scripture. Don't read, study! Old Testament studies should include many rabbinical commentaries as possible if you cannot study under a rabbi. The Bible is a genealogy of mankind, the story of mankind. With that being said, nor is anything in it about me or any one individual.

Finally, there is not enough time in the average life to give the Bible the attention and study it deserves. Those who ask about penguins should be ignored as they haven't the faintest clue about the simplest of stories.

So... :) .... your turn. What are you calling BS and why?

Depends on the religion and how their authoritarian leaders interpret their "sacred" book, written MANY years ago by people unknown to them, and their stories likely mythical.
The Taliban completely denies women their basic human rights because their leaders say so. They killed others who disagreed, even other Muslims. Different Islamic faiths battle each other over their religious version. Different Christian faiths battled each other. The conservative Jews in Israel battle the liberal Jews verbally & legally, then wipe out innocent people in Gaza ... after Islamic extremists (Hamas in this case) murdered &/or raped innocent people in Israel.

Of course, most religious people are NOT violent and are nice people, but most non-religious people are also nice, like myself.
My point is religion is not necessary if you are a "nice" person. It's detrimental if you are seeking objective knowledge.

Yes, I am a person of faith. The first thing I learned is that each of us has a divine spark within us and to look for that divine spark in everyone I meet. The second thing I learned is that the Commandments, Beatitudes, teachings, etc., are not for God's benefit, but for our own.

As far as priests, bishops,popes...they are an insignificant part of faith life because they have so many others dependent on them. When I was little, one priest made a point of telling the class, "What did the readings or the homily ask you to do this week?" Did you do it, did you incorporate the teaching in your life? Then around high school another priest told us, "If you don't like my homilies, do you think up your own?" As a young adult, St. Teresa of Avila over five hundred years before I lived noted the truth of Church and religion in that, priests and Church can only get people up the steps and into the foyer of the more than seven levels with a plethora of rooms. Once they get you there, you are pretty much on your own because clergy is so busy with these first steps.

As far as the Bible/Scripture. Don't read, study! Old Testament studies should include many rabbinical commentaries as possible if you cannot study under a rabbi. The Bible is a genealogy of mankind, the story of mankind. With that being said, nor is anything in it about me or any one individual.

Finally, there is not enough time in the average life to give the Bible the attention and study it deserves. Those who ask about penguins should be ignored as they haven't the faintest clue about the simplest of stories.

So... :) .... your turn. What are you calling BS and why?
All 3 Abraham religions are based on mythical stories written by unknown authors. Genesis is BS. God made the first woman from Adam's rib???
All-powerful God took 6 whole days & nights to create "Earth"? Did I get that right?

That is exactly my point.

Everybody doesn't have the same golden rule.
All it takes is an earnest will for diplomacy among participants who truly respect other's feelings & welfare. Fairness would not be a problem then. Religion is not needed.

There are MANY religions, and most are thousands of years old when few were able to read, and even fewer understood scientific knowledge about the universe that is evident today.
Which religion is best? Why would you choose a religion when its leaders don't understand natural, scientific reality?

Empathy and a golden rule is all one needs to be "ethical".
true!

All 3 Abraham religions are based on mythical stories written by unknown authors. Genesis is BS. God made the first woman from Adam's rib???
All-powerful God took 6 whole days & nights to create "Earth"? Did I get that right?
Asked and answered. All anyone ever gets from Meriweather:
"homilies"
"patience"
Clearly meaning: to be partial, showy, petty, patronizing, divisive, and impatient. Just what one needs to impose religious order upon a terrified people. None of this "ethics" or common decency rot.
you are pretty much on your own because clergy is so busy
there is not enough time
Those who ask about penguins should be ignored

... Why would you choose a religion when its leaders don't understand natural, scientific reality?...

Questions: Do you really think natural science is the only true religion? And what understands your mayor, governor or president - or your wife - or any other of your bosses (leaders) - about nature, science and reality? And where is the above from your ViewFromAbove? Outside of the universe which has no outside but a beginning?

I heard from. This golden rule is "Yours is mine but mine is not yours."
Can you not see that your attempted smart - arsed comment only applies if there is more than a single rule .

If there is only the single rule then , by definition, when you say "Yours is mine" , you automatically agree that " Mine is Yours".
Everything is involved. Therefore, you have a tautology

But where you have more than that single rule then there is flexibility to differ .
Did they not teach you basics ?

All that matters is FAIRNESS, respect, and EMPATHY when "ethical" in a social environment or culture. Religions teach a LOT of BS beyond simple ethics.

Empathy means to know what hurts. Nice for the sadist who will torture you.

Can you not see that your attempted smart - arsed comment only applies if there is more than a single rule .

If there is only the single rule then , by definition, when you say "Yours is mine" , you automatically agree that " Mine is Yours".
Everything is involved. Therefore, you have a tautology

But where you have more than that single rule then there is flexibility to differ .
Did they not teach you basics ?

Leave the Ukraine with all of your soldiers, Russian.

Forum List

Back