Religion and Technology?

editec said:
So what did religions bring us?

NOTHING, I REPEAT, NOTHING AT ALL EXCEPT SERIOUS PROBLEMS

101. Religion thinks that the world is less than 10,000 years old

Not mine
100. Religion was created to keep people in control, during the dark ages

Religions predate the so called dark ages by thousands of years, lad. You need to read some more history.

98. Moral inconsistencies religious texts

Whose morals? Yours?

97. Religion justified racism
95. Religion justified slavery

As did science at one time. Few religions do now, just as few scientists do now.

94. Religion justified rape

Not mine.

93. Religion justified discrimination of anyone who thought for themselves

Like yours is right now, you mean?

92. Religion justified the murder of more people than any other reason for murder

Nonsense. Again, you really don't know shit about history, lad.

91. Religion causes our schools to teach blatantly untrue information

Not mine.

90. Religion causes people to waste their lives

Cannot wait to see what circular logic you're going to come up with to prove that theory.

89. Religion restricts science and stunting society from further knowledge

Not mine

88. Religion stunts free thought, which should be encouraged

Not mine.

86. Religion is a lie

Not mine

85. Religion devalues reason.

Not mine

84. Religion slows sceientific progress.

Not mine

83. Religion slows social progress.

Not mine

82. Religion takes the true beauty of the universe and replaces it with an ugly distortion.

Not mine

81. Religion creates guilt. Guilt creates stress. Stress creates violence.

Not mine

80. Religion steals money and manpower that could truely be used to end poverty world wide.

Not mine

is it enough, or you want more ?

Yeah, more please.

Lay out your prejudiced and narrow minded opinions about religion on me.

We could do this all day, sport.

You are generalizing from the specific much in the way you suggest that "religion" does.

I find your extrmely limited world veiw of all religion rather amusing.

Thanks.

But it could be fair to say that "religion" fostered human knowledge and that's a good thing, if it's so. I'm referring to "religion" almost in a metaphysical sense and not referencing dogma. It would be too easy to present examples of organised religion completely screwing up any pursuit of knowledge.
Is not to use 'religion' in this metaphysical sense you speak of really to speak simply of human inquisitiveness and our species' insatiably curiosity? To call it 'religion' at all, then, seems misleading.

Last edited:
What technological advancements have come about because of religion?

Civilization itself?

Religion being the primary tool that lead us to developing into complex civilizations, ya know.

It astounds me that some of you completely lack the understanding that religion wasn't just one aspect of civilization, religion was the unifying tool that was most responsible for the development of complex civilizations..

"But Editec...Religions caused wars" you'll whine.

But, my foolish propeller-headed chums, religions also created the civilizations that made it possible (and necessary?) to have wars to begin with, " is my response.

I know this is hard for some of you hard science guys to understand, but the most important inventions mankind ever made were NOT technical gadgets, but social systems and tools of communications that required no (what you mistakenly think of as) real science!

The law, philosophy, division of labor, and hundreds (probably thousands) of social systems each taylored to the local needs. Each religion originally helped mankind advance from those hunter-gathering bands of isolated brutes into the highly advanced societies we have today

QFT. It is glaringly obvious to this "hard-science guy" that religion is at the core of human civilization as we know it.

But it could be fair to say that "religion" fostered human knowledge and that's a good thing, if it's so. I'm referring to "religion" almost in a metaphysical sense and not referencing dogma. It would be too easy to present examples of organised religion completely screwing up any pursuit of knowledge.
Is not to use 'religion' in this metaphysical sense you speak of really to speak simply of human inquisitiveness and our species' insatiably curiosity? To call it 'religion' at all, then, seems misleading.

I usually get more specific when I'm about to flog someone - such as IDiot or a Creationist. It's the fundies that cause the taint.

Einstein:

"It is true that convictions can best be supported with experience and clear thinking. On this point one must agree unreservedly with the extreme rationalist. The weak point of his conception is, however, this, that those convictions which are necessary and determinant for our conduct and judgments cannot be found solely along this solid scientific way.

For the scientific method can teach us nothing else beyond how facts are related to, and conditioned by, each other.The aspiration toward such objective knowledge belongs to the highest of which man is capabIe, and you will certainly not suspect me of wishing to belittle the achievements and the heroic efforts of man in this sphere. Yet it is equally clear that knowledge of what is does not open the door directly to what should be.

One can have the clearest and most complete knowledge of what is, and yet not be able to deduct from that what should be the goal of our human aspirations. Objective knowledge provides us with powerful instruments for the achievements of certain ends, but the ultimate goal itself and the longing to reach it must come from another source. And it is hardly necessary to argue for the view that our existence and our activity acquire meaning only by the setting up of such a goal and of corresponding values.

The knowledge of truth as such is wonderful, but it is so little capable of acting as a guide that it cannot prove even the justification and the value of the aspiration toward that very knowledge of truth. Here we face, therefore, the limits of the purely rational conception of our existence. "
Science and Religion

Last edited:
Val, all Einstein managed to do in all those words is ultimately raise the master of epistemology and the fear of nihilism by the ignorant

:blahblah:

You think you're so much smarter yet you don't realize your wish for religious people to be extinguished from our population will not ever happen, as religion is part of our nature.

Why do you hate your fellow man?

Einstein:

"The ancients knew something- which we seem to have forgotten. All means prove but a blunt instrument, if they have not behind them a living spirit. But if the longing for the achievement of the goal is powerfully alive within us, then shall we not lack the strength to find the means for reaching the goal and for translating it into deeds."

"If one were to take that goal out of its religious form and look merely at its purely human side, one might state it perhaps thus: free and responsible development of the individual, so that he may place his powers freely and gladly in the service of all mankind."

editec said:

92. Religion justified the murder of more people than any other reason for murder
86. Religion is a lie
82. Religion takes the true beauty of the universe and replaces it with an ugly distortion.
80. Religion steals money and manpower that could truely be used to end poverty world wide.

Wow ... talk about limited understanding of religion ... you do realize that the first point proves that the list is not about religion ... :eusa_whistle:

editec said:

86. Religion is a lie

Wow ... talk about limited understanding of religion ... you do realize that the first point proves that the list is not about religion ... :eusa_whistle:
Yeah...it is pitiably naive...but I'm getting used to the naivety on these forums...

This was borrowed from another thread, but I believe it deserves its own thread.

2. Did religion bring us modern farming? Yes. All of the benefits gained by modern GMO's can be traced back to Fr. Gregor Mendel, a Catholic priest who single-handedly invented the field of genetics. Without the Church's support of Mendel, genetics would've been set back a century or more.

Maybe you should research something you borrow simply because you want to believe it.

The church DID set genetics back 100 years with their "support" by BURNING all of Mendel's papers on plant genetics immediately after his death! We know Mendel's research was very advanced because each of the 7 pea characteristics he tested were all on separate genes, the odds of which happening by chance are highly unlikely. But we will never know just how advanced his research was thanks to the "supportive" church. :cuckoo:

The church is against stem cell research, so no christians will use this technology?
For most people, even the religious, they have no problem with cloning animals and eating them, especially in the US. But to help humans? No siree!

The methodology and ideology of approach were scientific. It was science that brought all of those developments, regardless of the what led to the personal or social need for an answer. It doesn't matter why they wanted to set bones, the fact remains that it was as scientists that they approached the problem and furthered human knowledge
smile_wink.gif
I think you hit on the crux of the issue right there.

It doesn't matter in an esoteric discussion of religion and science, true. But the "whys" do matter in the actual "doing" of science. Historically, religion has been the motivator behind many of our critical discoveries.

And even today, ask any scientist fighting for grant money, the "whys" are still critical. And thus, this thread!

Not to mention that it's important for people to realize that the idea that science is the antithesis of and antidote to religion is very recent. Until very lately, scientists viewed science as a way of better understanding God, not as a way of doing without Him. Also, too many people live with the false premise that religion does nothing positive in life and exists merely to repress people and inhibit logic and learning. Those people need to know how much of the advancement of civilization is due to religion.

editec said:

86. Religion is a lie

I'd say that fills my quota of ignorance and bigotry (yes, I know that's redundant) for the day, thank you.

What technological advancements have come about because of religion?

Civilization itself?

Religion being the primary tool that lead us to developing into complex civilizations, ya know.

It astounds me that some of you completely lack the understanding that religion wasn't just one aspect of civilization, religion was the unifying tool that was most responsible for the development of complex civilizations..

"But Editec...Religions caused wars" you'll whine.

But, my foolish propeller-headed chums, religions also created the civilizations that made it possible (and necessary?) to have wars to begin with, " is my response.

I know this is hard for some of you hard science guys to understand, but the most important inventions mankind ever made were NOT technical gadgets, but social systems and tools of communications that required no (what you mistakenly think of as) real science!

The law, philosophy, division of labor, and hundreds (probably thousands) of social systems each taylored to the local needs. Each religion originally helped mankind advance from those hunter-gathering bands of isolated brutes into the highly advanced societies we have today

QFT. It is glaringly obvious to this "hard-science guy" that religion is at the core of human civilization as we know it.

Doesn't surprise me.

Most the real hard science and numbers guys I know understand enough about social sciences to understand my post.

OTOH, most of the Darwin thumping atheists -- people who typically claim to be science and reality-based thinkers, but who usually don't actually understand the limitations of science -- don't get social sciences any better than they get hard sciences.

There is nothing to debate whatever between a thinking believer and science fact or theory

Science and social sciences are simply ways to try to understand how the plumbing and wiring of the universe works.

Religion is mankind's attempt to understand why the plumbing and wiring exist to begin with.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me.

Most the real hard science and numbers guys I know understand enough about social sciences to understand my post.

OTOH, most of the Darwin thumping atheists -- people who typically claim to be science and reality-based thinkers, but who usually don't actually understand the limitations of science -- don't get social sciences any better than they get hard sciences.

There is nothing to debate whatever between a thinking believer and science fact or theory

Science and social sciences are simply ways to try to understand how the plumbing and wiring of the universe works.

Religion is mankind's attempt to understand why the plumbing and wiring exist to begin with.

I think religion is a conclusion rather than a process of seeking understanding.

I think the core of the problem comes from the fact that modern science works on the basis of assuming only naturalistic explanations whereas religion almost by definition works of the basis of assuming the reliability of supernatural explanations.

Forum List

Back