Religion and Ethics?

PK1

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2015
Why are these 2 words lumped together?
Ethics is an independent topic!
Religions may or may not reflect ethical behaviors.
One needs not be religious to be ethical.

Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to stop themselves from murdering and raping people :dunno:

Interesting....... I don't always see them lumped together and ethics is culturally subjective (Cultural Relativism).......
Culture reflects ethics which are most often derived from a religious source which is where I believe your modern (US/European) mis-correlation emanates. Much (not all) of what we are taught (ethical right vs wrong behaviour) as children and reinforced as adults has it's origins in religious teachings/doctrine. The humanist movement borrowed many of those ethics but rejected others which is to be expected in any movement, religious or otherwise.
Besides the sub-forum heading is Religion and Ethics, two separate or combined subjects depending on the discussion not the ethics of religion.

Last edited:
Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to stop themselves from murdering and raping people :dunno:
Doubtful. More likely some people are natural explorers and the realm of God and the spirit is a great place for exploration.

It is in our hearts to lust after someone or things. But what prevents us from doing what our heart's desires, is fear. If there is no fear that get in the way of our desires, that we will do what our heart's desires us to do. Our bodies' chemistry changes a lot. At one period, that it only has desires for the one that you are with. But as we ages, that our body chemistry changes. But some changes are done by eating different foods or at certain elevations and climates. And so the one that you has desires before, that you might lose your appetite for them of these changes.But God had created dietary laws so that these changes will not take place so quickly and to keep us healthy and youthful. But without fear, we will become lost forever.
Jesus has made a statement to them, that even if they has lust after a woman, that they has already committed adultery. And that sexual immorality is considered as a sin. And so in the Bible, that it is telling us that we were never meant to have sexual desires at all. But the fruit of this tree has created these desires. And without fear, we would all be dead by our enemies because of unfaithfulness. Our hearts needs to be under the control of a Higher being that cannot be tempted. But luckily that God has given us His spirit, to put the shoe on the other foot. To see how it will feel to be on the other side.

Exodus 9:30 But I know that you and your officials still do not fear the Lord God.”

1 John 2:16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

James 1:13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

Matthew 4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Probably because YOU PK1 are lumping them together.

Religion is ancient and wicked and has nothing to do with ethics.

Ethics is a branch of ancient Greek and modern British Philosophy.

certainly not an unverified scriptural religion, etc ... otherwise from context they are one in the same. excluding faith, The Triumph of Good vs Evil can be either.

Have you ever wondered how our morality is formed?

Those we look up to in high regard help form our morality. This can include a religious leader, parent, teacher, the state, etc.

Case in point, when slavery in the US was legal most thought it was "OK" even though they did not think it ideal. However, centuries after being made illegal the thought of slavery seems absurdly immoral.

Likewise, before abortion was made legal, the general consensus was that it was immoral. However, decades after being made legal, the general consensus is that it is "OK", even though it is not ideal, much like slavery in reverse.

It should then make you a little more humble realizing what lemmings people are, although the Bible calls us sheep, which is not much better than a lemming.

So yea, religion can play a role.

the sub-forum heading is Religion and Ethics, two separate or combined subjects depending on the discussion not the ethics of religion.
Yes, separate subjects that are combined with an "and", which implies they are related.
Why not Religion or Ethics?

No, i did not lump them; i was questioning why they are lumped with an "and" instead of "or" ... or not lumped together at all.

Have you ever wondered how our morality is formed?
No, i don't wonder; it's obvious.
Starts out as natural empathy, then behavioral patterns reflecting cultural views of "morality" are molded into "good" or "evil" categories.

Both are based on (in many cases on the same) concepts about "right and wrong"

Last edited:
the sub-forum heading is Religion and Ethics, two separate or combined subjects depending on the discussion not the ethics of religion.
Yes, separate subjects that are combined with an "and", which implies they are related.
Why not Religion or Ethics?
Still have a problem with the English language? As I stated and can be used to denote combination or different subjects. I can't help it if you're simply anal retentive.

No, i did not lump them; i was questioning why they are lumped with an "and" instead of "or" ... or not lumped together at all.
You mean the title here in the forums.

Probably because someone was in a hurry.

Whoever created the current FORUM titles assumed that Religion "and" Ethics are related. Not so, IMHO.
That FORUM should be renamed "Religion or Ethics" or simply "Religions".
Or, most accurately from anthropological perspective ...
Religion and other Folklore.

The other FORUMS with "and" are related logically, e.g.,
Law and Justice System (latter is based on former);
Science and Technology (latter is based on former);
Health and Lifestyle (former based on latter).

Ethics is in the Philosophy domain.

Whoever created the current FORUM titles assumed that Religion "and" Ethics are related. Not so, IMHO.
That FORUM should be renamed "Religion or Ethics" or simply "Religions".
Or, most accurately from anthropological perspective ...
Religion and other Folklore.

The other FORUMS with "and" are related logically, e.g.,
Law and Justice System (latter is based on former);
Science and Technology (latter is based on former);
Health and Lifestyle (former based on latter).

Ethics is in the Philosophy domain.

So is religion (in the philosophy domain).

for the sake of frugality related to the issue of pixels

Forum List

Back