Red River 1988 movie

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
A remake of the John Wayne version this one stars James Arness. It is the first I have seen it and do recommend it to those who have not. It's well done western.

A remake of the John Wayne version this one stars James Arness. It is the first I have seen it and do recommend it to those who have not. It's well done western.

Yeah with Bruce Boxleitner as the good guy son and Gregory Harrison as the gunslinger, right? Very well done.

I have not seen this version of Red River but I will and will comment on it when I do. I think James Arness made this movie because John Wayne was his idle and who was instrumental in getting him cast as Matt Dillion in Gunsmoke. Red River was Howard Hawks masterpiece and probably the best motive John Wayne ever appeared in. It is certainly one of the best westerns every made, some say it is the best. I wouldn't go that far. I think there are a few I like better.
All for now

Nobody makes decent and meaningful movies anymore. You have to turn back the clock to find a quality moving picture.

It's interesting to see how the casting choices and their performances can have a hue effect on our enjoyment of a movie.
The original 1948 version of Red River is a classic and one of the best westerns ever made. The cast, including John Wayne and Montgomery Clift, was indeed exceptional, and the father-son conflict was a compelling and emotional story arc. The film's cinematography and score also contributed to its greatness.

As for the 1988 remake, while James Arness delivered a solid performance as Dunston, it seems like the casting of Bruce Boxleitner as Matt didn't quite work. Although Arness was playing Matt Dillion, as he always does, he was ever bit as tough as Wayne but he lacked empathy.

Overall, it's clear to me that the original version of Red River was far better than the remake. So I would give it a perfect score of 5 out of 5, while the remake gets a 3 out of 5.

Forum List

Back