Recollection Road

This guy does a GREAT job of keeping Americana alive!!
Great speaking voice, well versed, and does his research well!!!

Give his YT channel a visit! It's addictive!!

The IHOP history chilled me since I worked 2 summers there. I had every job in the place. From being their 1st waiter to cook and asst mgr. Food wasn't bad, but the hype and vibe aint what happens behind the scenes. All those fancy intnl syrups? Mixed on site with mostly corn syrup. I guess that's not a terrible sin.

Late night shifts there were interesting. Lots of customer drama. This one was open 24 hours.

Only ate there because it was usually the only place open, and was better than Denny's, with a bigger menu. The COVID thing killed all the 24 hour joints here; I used to do my grocery shopping at 3 or 4 in the morning, also breakfast pretty early. Can't do that any more, and it sucks. I miss 24 hour cities.

One of the reasons I like Whataburger here is they serve a full menu all day. Breakfast for me is 2or 3 in the morning, 'lunch' is 7 or 8 a.m. I'm having an avocado burger and onion rings while the weak are eating crappy scrambled eggs and bad sausage. Those crappy fake 'hash brown' things are awful, too, no matter where they sell them. Waffle House is cheap, not bad for the price but they don't drain the grease off of anything, so I guess IHOP is it for late night/early morning breakfast stuff. There are no decent indy truck stops any more; used to be one or two on Hwy 80 back before the interstate came through.

Last edited:
Only ate there because it was usually the only place open, and was better than Denny's, with a bigger menu. The COVID thing killed all the 24 hour joints here; I used to do my grocery shopping at 3 or 4 in the morning, also breakfast pretty early. Can't do that any more, and it sucks. I miss 24 hour cities.

One of the reasons I like Whataburger here is they serve a full menu all day. Breakfast for me is 2or 3 in the morning, 'lunch' is 7 or 8 a.m. I'm having an avocado burger and onion rings while the weak are eating crappy scrambled eggs and bad sausage. Those crappy fake 'hash brown' things are awful, too, no matter where they sell them. Waffle House is cheap, not bad for the price but they don't drain the grease off of anything, so I guess IHOP is it for late night/early morning breakfast stuff. There are no decent indy truck stops any more; used to be one or two on Hwy 80 back before the interstate came through.

Yeah, the drive thru fast food places really didn't get affected by the shut downs. They just resorted to everything drive thru or delivery.

9-11 pretty much killed all the 24/7 restaurants and stores around DFW. Businesses started "rolling up the sidewalks" at about 6pm after 9-11, and closed on Sundays. It was like getting thrown back to good old Blue Law days.

Restaurants seemed to have recovered from the fauxdemic shutdowns, but a lot of small businesses didn't make it, or never got the funding because wealthy companies were stealing it all. I think right now, the only place in my area that hasn't recovered is the new auto dealerships around here. They still have HUGE empty lots. What they do have in stock is parked up around their offices, which isn't much.

Forum List

Back