Really Good Meatloaf

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
My recipe sucks. My neighbor's is ambrosia but he won't share his recipe. What's the secret to really good meatloaf, guys?

meatloaf.jpg

I make a "Turkey Loaf" which usually comes out pretty good. I mix in Soy Sauce, Olive Oil, chopped garlic and ginger.

Good eatin'.

My wife has started adding oat meal and turkey to the recipe lately. Turkey is a little dry but not nearly as greasy as ground beef.

When I was pregnant with my son, beef made me sick and especially hamburger. Just could not eat it and in trying barfed up the meat loaf more than once. To this day I have trouble eating it. He is not a beef eater, especially when he was younger. He's come around some since then.

Anyway, on the rare occasion I do make meatloaf I've switched from all beef to beef and veal then mix in salt, pepper, onion powder and a can of tomato soup, an egg or two and a bit of bread crumbs. Another can of soup on top. Bake it low @325 for 45 minutes to an hour (depends on how big you make the loaf). It's pretty good but it's still not on my radar to make.

Last edited:
I got my original meat loaf recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook, I think. It is consistently good:

1 1/2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 cup milk 1 tablespoon
Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
3 slices bread, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups, lightly packed)
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup ketchup, chili sauce or barbecue sauce
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix all ingredients except ketchup. Spread mixture in ungreased 9x5-inch loaf pan, or shape into 9x5-inch loaf in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Spread ketchup over top.
  2. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of loaf. Bake uncovered 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until thermometer reads at least 160°F. Drain meat loaf.
  3. Let stand 5 minutes; remove from pan.
I also add a little italian seasoning.

The mustard makes it. If I don't have dry mustard, I use prepared. Not a lot.

Meat Loaf Recipe from Betty Crocker

Last edited:
I use the Fannie Farmer cookbook recipe (Best everyday cookbook on the planet btw), but I substitute quaker quick oats for roughly 3/4 of the breadcrumbs. Always juicy and delicious.

And the worcestershire sauce...which I believe may have mustard in it as well. It doesn't taste like meatloaf without it.
I've used oatmeal before...it makes for a different sort of dish but it doesn't do much for me...kinda reminiscent of haggis!

I use the Fannie Farmer cookbook recipe (Best everyday cookbook on the planet btw), but I substitute quaker quick oats for roughly 3/4 of the breadcrumbs. Always juicy and delicious.

Yes, italian bread crumbs as well as grated parmagiano cheese. :thup:

This is my Dad's Meatloaf Recipe. Tis delish.

Dad’s Meat Loaf:

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces tomato sauce
2 beaten eggs
2 slices of bread – cube or crumbs (I substitute Progresso plain bread crumbs )
Dried Parsley
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pepper
Minced garlic
Diced mushrooms

Mix ingredients. Press into loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Pour off grease and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 meat loaves.

Note: I amp up the Worcestershire sauce and dried mustard a bit.

Forum List

Back