Really big wind

The topic here is the growth of wind power.

Everyone in this discussion is aware our energy needs are growing. No one has suggested otherwise.

My question above was directed at poster Gipper.

Do you have some reason to believe that wind and solar cannot continue to expand?
When it expands to providing 50% or more of the nation’s energy needs, please let me know. If that actually does happen, most of us will be dead and gone.

You have not answered the question. You said "where will we find the rest". What is it that makes you believe alternative energy supplies cannot continue to expand?

Do you have some reason to believe that wind and solar cannot continue to expand?
Other than the fact to get any amount of power you have to install 4 times the rated capacity.

I think wind can be a part of the grid but I doubt it will ever meet our needs especially if we ever want to be 100% fossil fuel free.

When it expands to providing 50% or more of the nation’s energy needs, please let me know. If that actually does happen, most of us will be dead and gone.

You have not answered the question. You said "where will we find the rest". What is it that makes you believe alternative energy supplies cannot continue to expand?
LOL. It will expand. Where did I state that I didn’t believe it would?

If you think it will become the sole source of energy in the near future, you are deluding yourself.

If you think it will become the sole source of energy in the near future, you are deluding yourself.

When, as I noted, you said "where will we find the rest".

When, as I noted, you said "where will we find the rest".
So you do think alternatives will provide 100%. Good luck with that.

Thanks you. You STILL haven't answered the question. Obviously, you do not think it can provide 100% of our needs. Why not?

Again, why do you think it impossible for alternative technologies to provide 100% of our power?

Again, why do you think it impossible for alternative technologies to provide 100% of our power?

Oh God I havent a clue....I'm just going by EIA projections for the past 5 years....nobody cares about my opinion. But when the Obama EIA released its last report in early 2017, it had to be a serious nut sack kick if one is a climate crusader.

Google Image Result for http://peakoilbarrel.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/blog170621s.jpg

Alarmists are so idealistic with clean energy because they take the projections of the green energy industry.

Last edited:
And why do you think these data mean alternative energy tech cannot cover our entire demand?

And why do you think these data mean alternative energy tech cannot cover our entire demand?
To cover our current needs we would have to cover an area about the size of California with wind turbines, then convince the wind to blow 24/7. Both of which is not going to happen. Add in the increased demands it is just absolutely silly to believe that it could be possible.

It is easy to go from 0 to a kilowatt with one wind generator. Add a second and you have doubled production. But it becomes harder to double as the curve increases.

Wind and solar are good hobby industries. But that is all they are and more then realistically ever be. We would be much farther ahead to put real time and money into hydrogen fusion.

The main reason is they are all intermittent power sources

If the goal is 100% fossil fuel free energy we can't be relying on intermittent power sources.

Can you imagine the power it would take for more than half the country just heating their homes in the winter with electricity not to mention driving electric cars, etc.?

I don't think wind or even wind and solar can provide that kind of ready power.

If you put up enough wind turbines spread around the country, you will always have some subset of them generating power. Large scale batteries, Li-Po or vanadium solution, attached to solar and wind will assist. It is not easy but it is do-able

If you put up enough wind turbines spread around the country, you will always have some subset of them generating power. Large scale batteries, Li-Po or vanadium solution, attached to solar and wind will assist. It is not easy but it is do-able

You're still talking energy losses over long transmission lines in the the conversion from AC to DC and back again and let's not forget that the rare earth metals needed for batteries come with a huge environmental cost.

As I said wind can be part of the solution locally where it makes the most sense just as I think solar panels should be put on every south and southwest facing roof top but I have no faith that wind and solar will come close to meeting the demands of a society based on 100% fossil fuel free energy.

Now you are talking batteries, not environmentally friendly.
Spreading them out across the country. Transmission line loss, conversion loss.
Manufacturing, building, repair not enviromnmentally freindly.
Then you do realize that the graph shows potential for electrical generation not actual generation? So subtract at least one quarter( being generous) due to no wind, down for repairs.
If you can't have wind 24/7 then you are talking increasing area needed for wind turbines to handle current demand to almost two times the area of California. That still does not guarantee no brownouts. Where do you plan on putting that many?

As far as doable only in pipe dreams.

But its too expensive which we know because so few wind farms have been built across the country in the past 10 years. Im not saying Im against it......but the reality is, politicians done want to go there because they don't want to be dealing with a constituency that ends up feeling like its being fleeced when the electric bills roll in ( see Germany 2014 - present ). People like to be reelected.:deal::deal:

The costs of building transmission lines is gargantuan but never factored into the "cheap" prices of wind energy.

But don't take my word for it >>

What’s the True Cost of Wind Power?

So few wind farms? Your definition of "few" and EVERYONE else's definition of "few" are NOT the same.

Forum List

Back