Rational discourse on gun control

I'm not sure where your stats come from, but lets just say %45 ADMIT to keeping guns. Any possibility that the other %55 don't tell anyone?

I've never been surveyed, but I'd be dipped in shit before I told anyone I didn't know what I had.

So count me in as a %55'er who keeps his business to himself.

Here:

Guns In America, By The Numbers

Pew just released it's research Friday...you link is old, and innaccurate as well........the only survey that showed a decline in ownership was an anti gun survey headed by an anti gunner who publicly stated he hoped is research would help the push for more gun control...

Universal background checks anytime a gun is transferred (excepting close family members or lending a gun for a short time to a friend). This would not violate any law abiding citizen's right to bear arms. Too many guns are being transferred without proper caution to people who should not have one, either at gun shows or through casual sales. There are gun stores everywhere that can, for a small fee, run a background check for anyone interested in buying a gun. This will not be a problem for law abiding citizens.
While I am 100% pro-gun ownership, I don't agree with the stance that you shouldn't do a background check on close relatives receiving your guns, or giving your friend a gun temporarily. There have been instances where friends have borrowed guns, committed crimes with them and returned them to the owner. Close relatives may also have a mental illness or criminal past and if they are in line to inherit the weapons, they need to be checked out to ensure they are not someone who would not otherwise be eligible for one.

So....you need to get a background check with your friend at the range .....hey, let me shoot that pistol...see if I like it....sorry, we have to pay 25 dollars or more and wait 3 days to get your background check done....you mean like that?
I'm not referring to a situation whereby you are at a firing range with a friend. I'm referring to a friend coming to your home and asking to borrow your gun (saying he/she wants to do a little solitary plunking or range activity).

See...that is what you think it implies....but the change from all "Sales" to all "transfers" in the language of background checks makes handing your gun to your buddy at the range a violation of the law...unless you go and get a background check....and when he hands it back..the same......that is why they changed the word...to make it legally dangerous to move guns around ....

Well, the cops say the guns are coming in illegally from Indiana, which is next door and has lax gun control laws.
Translation: We need to pass Chicago-like gun control laws all through the US.

Okay, then what would happen when the Cartels add guns to their list of products? Has the drug war actually stopped or limited drugs? No. Why do you expect the "gun war" would be more effective?

Universal background checks anytime a gun is transferred (excepting close family members or lending a gun for a short time to a friend). This would not violate any law abiding citizen's right to bear arms. Too many guns are being transferred without proper caution to people who should not have one, either at gun shows or through casual sales. There are gun stores everywhere that can, for a small fee, run a background check for anyone interested in buying a gun. This will not be a problem for law abiding citizens.
A nice idea, but the problem with that is every time we give concessions to the anti-gun crowd, they use it as as stepping stone to more anti-gun laws.

Example, I've asked several anti-gun proponents on 3 different political forums "If we passed Obama's 2013 gun control, would you be satisfied that our nation has sufficient gun control laws and never, ever ask for additional gun legislation?" None of them ever replied much less reply in the affirmative. The silent point was that, no, they wouldn't be satisfied.
Considering how impossible it has been for the federal government to pass any gun control legislation, even after Sandy Hook, I don't understand why you folks are so concerned about that.

They don't have to pass laws if they control the Supreme Court.....the states can do it...anti gun states, and then the Supreme Court makes whatever they pass Constitutional and legal.....

Again,

Law abiding people will pay and have the transfers done legally.

It will add to the cost and inconvenience of what should otherwise be a transaction the government has no right to interfere with.

Those who are willing TO COMMIT MURDER will not abide by the law. If they have to kill the potential seller to avoid the BG check they will do so.

There would be less guns floating around for criminals to buy/steal if transfers were done legally. The only way to enforce legal transfers is to hold the last legal owner responsible for any crime committed with the weapon. It is a small cost and very minor inconvenience, since there are gun stores in the tiniest towns that can do the checks. The cost can be added to the price of the gun.

There would be less guns floating around for criminals to buy/steal if transfers were done legally.

Please explain how that works.......straw buyers have clean records...they buy guns for criminals and the first transaction is legal in the sense they pass the current, federally mandated background check.......or the criminal steals the gun.....

And if you have a gun stolen...you want the crime to come back to you...really? How does that line up with any form of legal theory?

And Do you agree with charging a tax on voting...so only those with means can vote and effect elections?

Yet you still can't tell me what type of background check the person that stole my gun will go through for possessing that gun.

Until that criminal goes through a background check, expecting those of us that have never committed a crime to go through one so you can feel better is a problem. I'm not jumping through you damn hoops so you can say you did something to make yourself feel better.
I already told you that most of those guns reported as "stolen," probably weren't, since they weren't reported to the police.

And when they actually catch the criminal with the gun committing an illegal act...they will get where they got the gun from him.....no background check is needed...and if the person is a gun trafficker, they will set up a sting on the guy....just like for any other crime....

We can already do this....we are doing it right now.......and universal background checks will not help that effort.

Yet you still can't tell me what type of background check the person that stole my gun will go through for possessing that gun.

Until that criminal goes through a background check, expecting those of us that have never committed a crime to go through one so you can feel better is a problem. I'm not jumping through you damn hoops so you can say you did something to make yourself feel better.
It is to reduce the # of illegally owned guns on the street. Less sold to unvetted buyers, less to sell to a thug.

You say this as if it means something....please explain the mechanics of this........

Again,

It will add to the cost and inconvenience of what should otherwise be a transaction the government has no right to interfere with.

Those who are willing TO COMMIT MURDER will not abide by the law. If they have to kill the potential seller to avoid the BG check they will do so.

There would be less guns floating around for criminals to buy/steal if transfers were done legally. The only way to enforce legal transfers is to hold the last legal owner responsible for any crime committed with the weapon. It is a small cost and very minor inconvenience, since there are gun stores in the tiniest towns that can do the checks. The cost can be added to the price of the gun.

Legal transfers like you suggest aren't going to change the number of guns around.

"It's a small cost and a very minor inconvenience". That's what I say about voter ID. Funny how that argument is wrong when it comes to proving you are who you say you are but perfectly OK to the very people that want to infringe on a right in the 2nd amendment.
I'm not sure voting and having a background check when purchasing an optional firearm are the same thing. I have nothing against voter ID as long as it is reasonably inexpensive. I believe around here a background check costs less than a birth certificate in many states.

They are the same thing...they are both Rights that are inherent to being a human being.....so putting a tax on Voting, is a violation of the law...since it means the poor will not be able to access a fundamental right...the same goes for forcing law abiding people to pay for the right to own and carry a gun...another fundamental right...

Fuck off. If you want the constitution changed to outlaw armaments there is an amendment process. And there is no way in hell it will ever pass.
No need to cuss, Muhammed. Background checks don't outlaw armaments.

“Rational discourse on gun control”

…requires that participants in such a discourse acknowledge the settled and accepted fact – a fact of law beyond dispute – that, although inalienable, the Second Amendment right is not ‘unlimited,’ and subject to reasonable restrictions by government.

Unfortunately, there are irrational extremists who refuse to acknowledge this settled, accepted fact of law, rendering any hope of rational discourse impossible and pointless.
Your failure to meaningfully address the issue was expected.

I already told you that most of those guns reported as "stolen," probably weren't, since they weren't reported to the police.

I already told you that your reasoning behind your statement is false. You say they really weren't stolen because, in your simply mind, you can't fathom why someone wouldn't do something the way you would do it.

Some dumbass in my neighborhood dented the door of my wife's car that was facing the sidewalk. I have an idea who it is but can't prove it. That means I get to pay to have it fixed. Should I file it on insurance?
Why wouldn't you report a stolen weapon? If you think my reasoning is false, I wish you would explain where I'm going wrong.

You may not know it is stolen......or you are afraid to report it stolen for fear of the police...and what you think may happen to you.........or, you don't want the fact that you are a gun owner known to the police.....

Any of those reasons are perfectly legal....we are not a police state yet....

Why not focus on the guy who actually stole the gun.....? You guys are obsessed with the person who had the gun stolen....

Again,

Legal transfers like you suggest aren't going to change the number of guns around.

"It's a small cost and a very minor inconvenience". That's what I say about voter ID. Funny how that argument is wrong when it comes to proving you are who you say you are but perfectly OK to the very people that want to infringe on a right in the 2nd amendment.
I'm not sure voting and having a background check when purchasing an optional firearm are the same thing. I have nothing against voter ID as long as it is reasonably inexpensive. I believe around here a background check costs less than a birth certificate in many states.

Define reasonable. That's the problem, again, with your kind. You make statements like "reasonable", "common sense", etc. then want to be the ones to define them.

Free voter IDs were offered and Liberals still opposed it oftentimes equating it to a poll tax.
How could it be a "tax" if it were free? I would be 100% behind such a suggestion. I have nothing against Voter ID. However, households living in real poverty and on welfare benefits can't free up $90 or $100; their budgets are too tight.

The state gives away free i.d. to those who can't afford them...and if they can't afford 90 bucks for an i.d. they can't afford several hundred to get a concealed carry permit with the mandatory classes.......so any cost is an infringement on the Right...

...If you want the constitution changed to outlaw armaments there is an amendment process. And there is no way in hell it will ever pass.
Agreed about the process and the unlikelihood of repealing or altering the Second Amendment. The anti-gun Left knows this too and that's why they prefer to chip away at it with "reasonable" gun laws than try to do exactly what they want head on; repeal the Second Amendment.

As mentioned previously, every gun control law they've passed has been a stepping stone for the next. If Obama had successfully passed his 2013 anti-gun bill, then the anti-gun left would be standing on it to add more "reasonable" laws such as "If a limit of 10-round magazines is good, why not limit them to 5 rounds?"
You have not provided a shred of empirical evidence to demonstrate your argument is valid.

...If you want the constitution changed to outlaw armaments there is an amendment process. And there is no way in hell it will ever pass.
Agreed about the process and the unlikelihood of repealing or altering the Second Amendment. The anti-gun Left knows this too and that's why they prefer to chip away at it with "reasonable" gun laws than try to do exactly what they want head on; repeal the Second Amendment.

As mentioned previously, every gun control law they've passed has been a stepping stone for the next. If Obama had successfully passed his 2013 anti-gun bill, then the anti-gun left would be standing on it to add more "reasonable" laws such as "If a limit of 10-round magazines is good, why not limit them to 5 rounds?"
You have not provided a shred of empirical evidence to demonstrate your argument is valid.

he did not make an empirical conclusion

You have not answered these questions:
Why do you think people dealing in stolen or "illegal" guns, would run background check on their customers?
How do you prove that any given transfer was required to have a background check, but did not?
Absent these things, how will your idea solve the problem you specified?

Well, the cops say the guns are coming in illegally from Indiana, which is next door and has lax gun control laws.
Translation: We need to pass Chicago-like gun control laws all through the US.

Okay, then what would happen when the Cartels add guns to their list of products? Has the drug war actually stopped or limited drugs? No. Why do you expect the "gun war" would be more effective?
Can anyone explain what this has to do with universal background checks?

he did not make an empirical conclusion
What I mean is, you can't prove any evidence that IF Obama's legislation had passed, that anything you predict would have come about. Don't hold me to one level of proof and then go spinning off into LaLa Land for your own arguments.

You have not answered these questions:
Why do you think people dealing in stolen or "illegal" guns, would run background check on their customers?
How do you prove that any given transfer was required to have a background check, but did not?
Absent these things, how will your idea solve the problem you specified?
Sorry M, I've answered that already. You can chase your tail, but I'm done.

Forum List

Back