Rasmussen's Bias Proven...

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
...by Rasmussen himself.

It's in the wording of the questions:

From Pollster.com:

Different Question - Rasmussen also asks a different job approval question. Most pollsters offer just two answer categories: "Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president?" Rasmussen's question prompts for four: "How would you rate the job Barack Obama has been doing as President... do you strongly approve, somewhat approve, somewhat disapprove, or strongly disapprove of the job he's been doing?"

Scott Rasmussen has long asserted that the additional "somewhat" approve or disapprove options coax some respondents to provide an answer that might otherwise end up in the "don't know" category. In an experiment conducted last week and released yesterday, Rasmussen provides support for that argument. They administered three separate surveys of 800 "likely voters, each involving a different version of the Obama job approval rating: (1) the traditional two category, approve or disapprove choice, (2) the standard Rasmussen four-category version and (3) a variant used by Zogby and Harris, that asks if the president is doing an excellent, good, fair or poor job. The table below collapses the results into two categories; excellent and good combine to represent "approve," fair and poor combine to represent "disapprove."

2009-11-30_rasmussen-experiment.png

As you can see, when Rasmussen asks the questions in the manner almost everyone else does, he gets results in line with everyone else, but when he asks the questions in his own unique manner, he gets an anti-Obama shift.

See? I told you so (repeatedly).

Pollster.com: Why Is Rasmussen So Different?

...by Rasmussen himself.

It's in the wording of the questions:

From Pollster.com:

Different Question - Rasmussen also asks a different job approval question. Most pollsters offer just two answer categories: "Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president?" Rasmussen's question prompts for four: "How would you rate the job Barack Obama has been doing as President... do you strongly approve, somewhat approve, somewhat disapprove, or strongly disapprove of the job he's been doing?"

Scott Rasmussen has long asserted that the additional "somewhat" approve or disapprove options coax some respondents to provide an answer that might otherwise end up in the "don't know" category. In an experiment conducted last week and released yesterday, Rasmussen provides support for that argument. They administered three separate surveys of 800 "likely voters, each involving a different version of the Obama job approval rating: (1) the traditional two category, approve or disapprove choice, (2) the standard Rasmussen four-category version and (3) a variant used by Zogby and Harris, that asks if the president is doing an excellent, good, fair or poor job. The table below collapses the results into two categories; excellent and good combine to represent "approve," fair and poor combine to represent "disapprove."

2009-11-30_rasmussen-experiment.png

As you can see, when Rasmussen asks the questions in the manner almost everyone else does, he gets results in line with everyone else, but when he asks the questions in his own unique manner, he gets an anti-Obama shift.

See? I told you so (repeatedly).

Pollster.com: Why Is Rasmussen So Different?

Explain the significance, in your own words. I mean IF it's significant, you can explain why and how, right?

Rassmussen biased?

Bite your tongue! Who else is going to tell Conservatives that America loves them?

That doesn't really show bias. It does show how question wording can effect results.

It isn't even question wording it is giving more options for more precise results. So NYcaribeener is proposing that less precise polls are better, sounds stupid to me.

The Rass. poll just shifts 3% out of the 'I Don't Know' category into a definite category. How's that biased?

Barry took a beating in that Zogby poll, eh? 60% think he's doing 'fair to poor'. Ouch.

meh..............

A sentiment shared only by the k00ks. Why the 21%ers bend over backwards to malaign Rasmussen is beyond me, Obama is mid-40's approval or high 40's. Whats the difference........bottom line is since last spring, hes falling like a stone in water and the whole country knows it. I laugh when I see the k00ks wasting all this energy thinking that threads on the US Message board is going to change that dynamic!!!:lol:

Too......how hysterical is it that just a little over 1 year ago, Rasmussen was hailed by all the k00ks as the go to poll when the election was approaching. Why? Because polling by Rasmussen was favorable for their guy!! Now? They hate Rasmussen because their guy is on the fast escalator DOWN!!!:funnyface:

Last edited:
Rassmussen's slant has never really been in question. It's like conducting a study to determine if a pig's ass is pork.

Rassmussen's slant has never really been in question. It's like conducting a study to determine if a pig's ass is pork.

meh..............:lol:

A sentiment shared only by the k00ks. Why the 21%ers bend over backwards to malaign Rasmussen is beyond me, Obama is mid-40's approval or high 40's. Whats the difference........bottom line is since last spring, hes falling like a stone in water and the whole country knows it. I laugh when I see the k00ks wasting all this energy thinking that threads on the US Message board is going to change that dynamic!!!

Too......how hysterical is it that just a little over 1 year ago, Rasmussen was hailed by all the k00ks as the go to poll when the election was approaching. Why? Because polling by Rasmussen was favorable for their guy!! Now? They hate Rasmussen because their guy is on the fast escalator DOWN!!!:funnyface:

Some threads just have a way of crying out for a USMessage Board Political forums scoreboard check.................perticularly when the k00ks go and pwn themselves!!!

Like this one.................

Scoreboardbig.jpg

Getting respondents to give an answer other than "don't know" is proof of bias?

I hope you didn't spend a lot of time trying to dig that up.

He probably picked up the piece over at HuffPo or DailyKos, no effort required...

Since I linked to where I actually found it, and since the data is from RASMUSSEN himself,

what particular sort of nitwit does that make you, in general category of nitwit?

That doesn't really show bias. It does show how question wording can effect results.

Intentionally using an alternative method when you know what results the method will produce, and those results are anti-Obama is bias.

The link also points out that Rasmussen's use of likely voters skews the results to the right. Rasmussen knows this.

If bias is not the motive, tell us what the motive is. There has to be a reason that you abandon a standard practice and switch to a non-standard one. Give me a plausible reason or reasons that Rasmussen would do this.

The bias is (and has been for quite some time) evident. The revelation of the methods for how the bias is achieved is educational.

The Rass. poll just shifts 3% out of the 'I Don't Know' category into a definite category. How's that biased?

Barry took a beating in that Zogby poll, eh? 60% think he's doing 'fair to poor'. Ouch.

It's manipulating the questions unnecessarily to skew the results. You might be interested to know that this method gave Bush HIGHER approval numbers when Bush became unpopular.

The bias is (and has been for quite some time) evident. The revelation of the methods for how the bias is achieved is educational.

And we get the bonus of hearing Rasmussen flunkies sit here and deny the facts right in front of them.

Well, that is to be expected. They are desperately casting about to find someone to lend legitimacy to their own bias. And right now Fox and Rassmussen are their only defenders so they cling to them desperately like a drowning man clings to a float.

Forum List

Back