Ranking Member

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RetiredGySgt, Nov 27, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,975
    I would like to know if the Term " Ranking Member" has EVER been used by CNN or MSNBC for a Republican member of Congress.

Before 1997 it was not used as far as I recall and I do not watch these channels ( or any TV news) so not aware of it being used after the loss of the Congress to the Democrats.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Never heard it before. In what context is it being used? I used to watch CNN when I had cable but never heard it used. It sounds quite odd.

Anyway I just hope they don't employ a newsreader with a lisp as in Michael Palin's character in The Life of Bwian.

3. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,975
    On the programs that are not pure news but rather the talking head programs, where they invite so and so to talk about some topic. Before the Republicans took over Congress these programs would have Committee Chairman so and so ( democrat) and Republican whatsisname. After the Dems lost and it was Republican leadership on all committees they began using the term for the senior Democrat on the committee, It was then Ranking Member ( democrat) soandso and still Republican whatsisname.

In other words they continued to invite the senior democrat and some no name republican for their programs.

Why do I bring it up? Because Shogun wants to play games in another thread about how CNN and MSNBC are not biased and hire Conservatives for some programs. He can not and will not provide one shred of evidence that the NEWS is biased on Fox and wants to switch it to the entertainment and talking head programs. When faced with this question he did his usual cut and run and refused to answer the question.

Further I asked for all those big Conservatives hired by CNN and MSNBC BEFORE Fox grabbed all the ratings and have forced them to hire them in an attempt to compete ( for reference Fox has been around like 11 years now.)

4. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Yup, it has been used for Congressman Duncan Hunter when talking about his position on the Armed Services Comittee.

5. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Ah, so the "ranking" term is a sort of seniority tag?

6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,975
    Yes, it is meant to imply Seniority. It was adopted, in my opinion, simply as a means to continue to give extra value to the same herd of Democrats they no longer could call Chairmen.

7. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

Yes, its a term that has been used for a long time, for the lead member of the minority party, on the various congressional committees.

In most cases they are refered to as "ranking member", although there's a couple committes that are structured such that the minority party leader in that committee is refered to as "co-chairman". I think the intelligence committee, for one.

8. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I don't recall the two networks in question using the term BEFORE 1997...

a tempest in a teapot.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    HOLY SHIT!

not using the term "ranking member" is an obvious link to george soros!

what particularly savvy sleuthing you guys do...

:rofl:

move on over, Prof Moriarty!

You know, RGS.. you really shouldn't drag me into threads when you totally fail to face the points I keep throwing at you like yard darts in the thread you refer to. I would remind you of the specific questions you refuse to answer about fox news but you'd accuse me of hijacking a thread so perhaps you can mozy on back over to the original and stop hopping around like a flea on a dogs nuts.

10. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Thanks DCD - I was totally mystified about the term and its application.