Rand Paul's platform within his speech / 15 points worth debating

First off, you really did a spectacular job of summarizing the entire speech. Thank you. I vowed to NEVER vote for another Repub/Dem again, but his speech has given me reason to pause and just MAY make a liar out of me.

I hope he continues to call out both parties and continues--as you said-- to cast that large net. Brilliant speech, but lets see if he can continue to walk his own path and not fall into the typical Republican drone and talking points. If he sticks to those 15 points he just may get my vote. Still too early, but his 'attractiveness' has certainly gone up for me.

I gotta say, he is the first candidate I have ever seen who was so willing to criticize his own party as well, a trait just as lacking among Democrats. I found it to be quite refreshing.

There is a LOT of substance he did not broach, for instance, saying that anyone who wants to work should get a job sounds great, but how are you gonna do it?

And a lot of his themes have a populist angle to them and would be things I would expect a progressive Democrat to say.

And should he get the nomination, I would give him a real, hard look before deciding on whom to vote for.

It was an excellent speech, and unlike the first GOP candidate out of the box, he didn't talk down to his audience.
He didn't sequester a bunch of kids at an evangelical college and make them pay $10 if they didn't want to show up.
He didn't pace and preach like some fucking southern Baptist preacher who was just one step away from handling snakes and speaking in tongues.
In a word, he made Cruz look like the political whore that he is. Good job.

Really pleased to see how many Conservatives and/or Republicans are taking time to actually discuss some pretty deep stuff on this thread.

I want to again encourage people to take one specific platform point of the 15 and dissect it at will. It could be very enlightening. 2 members already did that over no. 14. That's the way to do it, if you ask me.

It helps that you didn't come out the gate with a comment about how retarded Paul is or, better yet, with a cartoonish picture of him as a clown.

It makes it much easier to take it serious... so, with that... well done!

12:32 "Quit spending money we don't have" (fiscal restraint)

I agree ... start by STOPPING the $4 billion dollars a year we GIVE to Israel
First stop giving money to Islamic tyrannical governments like Hamas before you argue that point. Israel is our friend and we shouldn't cut off friends.

I agree mostly. Rand's libertarian bent on this is clear: all forms of foreign aid are wasted money.

But actually, foreign aid is a very small drop in a very large bucket and usually reaps us dividends that the average Joe knows nothing about. This stuff usually works to OUR advantage, even if we don't see it immediately on a ledger sheet.

But I agree, Hamas should not get one fucking penny from us.

Are you going to relax laws for minorities just to make it look good on paper?
No, he alludes to relaxing so called "anti-drug" laws. He cannot say it openly without being crucified by O'Reilly and his ilk.

14.) wants to repeal laws that disproportionately incarcerates blacks/latinos

What exactly does this mean? Are you going to relax laws for minorities just to make it look good on paper? If blacks and latino's commit more crimes as a percentage of the population then their numbers in prison SHOULD be higher. I suspect he's setting up some kind of drug legalization stance.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, since Rand's Libertarianism must actually pretty unequivocally put him in the "legalize pot" crowd.

BTW, I'm a Democrat and I am NOT for legalizing pot. I think it is wrong to do so.
Individuals should be free to do with themselves and their own property as they see fit as long as it doesn't adversely effect another individual while doing so, through force or fraud.

Are you going to relax laws for minorities just to make it look good on paper?
No, he alludes to relaxing so called "anti-drug" laws. He cannot say it openly without being crucified by O'Reilly and his ilk.

I think you are right on track about this. Which also proves that Rand Paul is savvy enough to know when he must speak in code language in order to survive. Hardly a trait of a Washington outsider, if you ask me. That sounds a lot like Washington insider, you know, exactly what he is railing against.

Establishment Republicans will not support him and the behind the scenes puppet master, Karl Rove will do everything possible to hinder Rand's nomination.
This ^^^^^^ I was just going to say that the establishment is going to do their damnedest to marginalize him, put on their smiles and make him out to be that "kooky Paul guy"

With the help of the MSM as well. Fox News in particular

The GOP, IMHO, is in deep doo-doo until they jettison Rove... he needs to go.. like years ago.
Isn't that the truth. Why they still give that idiot a voice is beyond me. Beyond stupidity if you ask me

Since Megyn Kelly mopped the floor with him during the 2012 prez election, you haven't seen much of Rove in prime time. He's lost his touch, like Tiger Woods. His muse, Dubya, is busy painting portraits in his suburban Prestonwood area home and Jeb isn't going to take a chance on him. I hope he signed up for Obamacare.

What exactly does this mean? Are you going to relax laws for minorities just to make it look good on paper? If blacks and latino's commit more crimes as a percentage of the population then their numbers in prison SHOULD be higher. I suspect he's setting up some kind of drug legalization stance.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, since Rand's Libertarianism must actually pretty unequivocally put him in the "legalize pot" crowd.

BTW, I'm a Democrat and I am NOT for legalizing pot. I think it is wrong to do so.
Individuals should be free to do with themselves and their own property as they see fit as long as it doesn't adversely effect another individual while doing so, through force or fraud.

While I agree, I can tell you this from personal experience, drug abuse, the opiates in particular, almost always adversely affects others.. I'm a big fan of decriminalization... but I have issues with total legalization.

While I agree, I can tell you this from personal experience, drug abuse, the opiates in particular, almost always adversely affects others.. I'm a big fan of decriminalization... but I have issues with total legalization.
Legalized gambling, legalized prostitution, assisted suicide, etc.
How they get the money to feed their addictions better be legal or they will go to jail.

How they get the money to feed their addictions better be legal or they will go to jail.

Drug addicts do two things, and with great regularity.. they lie and they steal.

Really pleased to see how many Conservatives and/or Republicans are taking time to actually discuss some pretty deep stuff on this thread.

I want to again encourage people to take one specific platform point of the 15 and dissect it at will. It could be very enlightening. 2 members already did that over no. 14. That's the way to do it, if you ask me.

It helps that you didn't come out the gate with a comment about how retarded Paul is or, better yet, with a cartoonish picture of him as a clown.

It makes it much easier to take it serious... so, with that... well done!
I'd like to reiterate this as well. There was no partisan horseshit that I had to wade through, so you made it easy. The OP was very well constructed, informative, FACT filled (not YOUR opinion), and open for discussion.

I would have 'walked' the other way had it been different :)

I'm not real excited about it myself but then I start to think why I care. Make it legal and then get rid of any defense that is based on "but I was stoned so it's not my fault". Nah, you get wasted and hurt someone that's not a defense to even be considered.

Forum List

Back