Rand Paul Rips an Eco-Nanny a New One

It's the principle RW, look at the big picture.

If government passed a law saying you had to be 50 years old to buy a Snickers bar it wouldn't really affect me, but it would hurt the company/local stores/shipping companies/etc.

Putting these restrictions on products hurts businesses even if it only affects the consumer in an often times negligible way.

Sometimes in life, ya gotta say

"Its no big deal" and suck it up

Conservation works....give it a shot

When one has to flush a low flow john 3 times in order to get the same result from 1 flush what is being conserved?

When one has to run CFLs at 100% out put because they don't work on a dimmer tell me how much is actually being saved?

And you assume ( as usual) that people won't conserve in order to save money unless the government threatens them?

My use of water is much more efficient than most people's even though I have a toilet that uses more per flush. I compost all my organic household waste and even use rain barrels to collect water for my landscaped plants.

I have skylights and Solar tube lights in my house and do not even turn on a light until well after dark. My electric bill is already low so there is no reason I should have to endure the shitty headache inducing light of a CFL if I don't want to.

I want to control what I buy and I do a fine job of economizing and conserving on my own. I don't need the fucking government to tell me what to buy under threat of force.

You need to adjust your toilet. That three flush nonsense went out 15 years ago. New toilets handle your flushing needs just fine

Dim that incandescent all you want. You still aren't going to get that 75 watt bulb down to 9 watts

Sometimes in life, ya gotta say

"Its no big deal" and suck it up

Conservation works....give it a shot

When one has to flush a low flow john 3 times in order to get the same result from 1 flush what is being conserved?

When one has to run CFLs at 100% out put because they don't work on a dimmer tell me how much is actually being saved?

And you assume ( as usual) that people won't conserve in order to save money unless the government threatens them?

My use of water is much more efficient than most people's even though I have a toilet that uses more per flush. I compost all my organic household waste and even use rain barrels to collect water for my landscaped plants.

I have skylights and Solar tube lights in my house and do not even turn on a light until well after dark. My electric bill is already low so there is no reason I should have to endure the shitty headache inducing light of a CFL if I don't want to.

I want to control what I buy and I do a fine job of economizing and conserving on my own. I don't need the fucking government to tell me what to buy under threat of force.

You need to adjust your toilet. That three flush nonsense went out 15 years ago. New toilets handle your flushing needs just fine

Dim that incandescent all you want. You still aren't going to get that 75 watt bulb down to 9 watts

I don't have a low flow and never will. Some of my friends have them though and they have the same problem some cities are having now that the solid wastes don't travel very well down the pipes and they are constantly having to snake out the shitters. Besides a low flush doesn't save me any money. I have my own well and my own septic system I don't pay for water and I only have to pump out the septic tank every couple years.

But that 75 watt bulb doesn't give me a headache where fluorescents do. So the money I spend on Advil pretty much negates any electric savings.

Don't I have the option of not getting headaches?

Last edited:
The Light Bulb thing especially is definitely a Government/GE cabal. GE & this White House have very close ties. These new Mercury-filled Light Bulbs are actually worse for the Environment in the end. How do they get disposed of and what about Mercury leaks by way of breakage? You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But hey,if you wanna buy one than so be it. The Government should not be forcing American Citizens to buy them though. And obviously they shouldn't be declaring the old bulbs "Illegal." That's just ridiculous & wrong. More people just need to get involved with issues like this. Contact your Representatives in Congress. You can fight back and Win.

I don't have a low flow and never will. Some of my friends have them though and they have the same problem some cities are having now that the solid wastes don't travel very well down the pipes and they are constantly having to snake our the shitters. Besides a low flush doesn't save me any money. I have my own well and my own septic system I don't pay for water and I only have to pump out the septic tank every couple years.

But that 75 watt bulb doesn't give me a headache where fluorescents do. So the money I spend on Advil pretty much negates any electric savings.

I guess only Liberal toilets flush on one flush

I don't have a low flow and never will. Some of my friends have them though and they have the same problem some cities are having now that the solid wastes don't travel very well down the pipes and they are constantly having to snake our the shitters. Besides a low flush doesn't save me any money. I have my own well and my own septic system I don't pay for water and I only have to pump out the septic tank every couple years.

I guess only Liberal toilets flush on one flush

Tell me why would i buy one of those crappy toilets if it won't save me any money?

I thought the government was supposed to make us save money and buying a new toilet when my old one works just fine seems like wasting money to me.

God Damn it

I'm a LIBERTARIAN.....Who is the Gubmint to tell me I have to buy a safe car?

If I want to die in a fiery crash....I'll do it!

God Damn it

Buying a car that performs well in a crash and being forced to buy a particular kind of car because the government says you "should" are two entirely different things.

Last edited:
If I'm willing to pay for the light bulbs, toilets and the extra electricity and water they use, it's really none of your business.

Just because you're good with being treated like a child doesn't mean that everyone else has to be.

God damn it

I'm a LIBERTARIAN

If I want to build a tin shack with an outhouse in the back....Who is the Gubmint to tell me I can't?

Actually a composting toilet uses even less water than the government mandated ones and they only cost about $1200..

Maybe we should force everyone to buy one of those

Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!

In fact when they force us to buy those, we should take a deep breath and say "that's not a big deal." Then we should post on a message board about how great of a job government is doing.

the whole freedom thing is no big deal. Why should you eat what you want, or live where you want when the government knows what's best for you?

I dream of a world where every day starts like this:

A soothing voice rouses me from a restful sleep.

"Good morning, citizen. The time is 5 AM breakfast today will be tasteless trans fat and sugar free organic soy meal, decaf organic fair trade coffee with soy milk and tasteless genetically modified oranges.

If your last name begins with the letter A. you will be allowed a 3 minute shower in 80 degree water.

The temperature today will be 90 degrees and your thermostat will be set a a comfortable 89 degrees.

Have a nice day"

When the Nazis came for my light bulbs,
I remained silent;
I was not very bright.

Then they locked up the washer & dryer Democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a washer & dryer democrat.

Then they came for the refrigerator unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a refrigerator unionist.

Then they came for the air conditioner Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a air conditioner Jew.

When they came for me,
I didn't hear them coming, I was flushing my toilet.

God Damn it

Nahh, it was one of your moronic lefties who claimed it was an unfair advantage for a family to be in an SUV in a crash with a small car. As if fairness is something that exists in the natural world. So to make sure that everyone had an equal chance of dying in a crash she wanted to outlaw SUV's becaue of that reason alone.

I wonder what sort of vehicle she would be allowed to drive though? They allways seem to exempt themselves from their onerous regs...because they're "special".

Damn straight, brother!

“This is what your energy efficiency standards are. Call it what it is. You prevent people from making things that consumers want. I find it really appalling and hypocritical and think there should be some self-examination from the administration on the idea that you favor a woman’s right to an abortion, but you don’t favor a woman or a man’s right to choose what kind of light-bulb, what kind of dishwasher, what kind of washing machine. I really find it troubling – this busy-body nature that you want to come into my house, my bathroom, my bedroom, my kitchen, my laundry room. I just really find it insulting and I find that all of the arguments for energy efficiency – you’re exactly right we should conserve energy, but why not do it in a voluntary way? Why do it where you threaten to fine me or put me in jail if I don’t accept your opinion? In America we believe in trying to convince our neighbors, but not trying to convince them through the force of law. I find this antithetical to the American way.”

And he was dead-on. There's no disputing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me why would i buy one of those crappy toilets if it won't save me any money?

I thought the government was supposed to make us save money and buying a new toilet when my old one works just fine seems like wasting money to me.

They sell adjustable flapper balls & floats. Making someone buy a water saver toilet is stupid. When people have to flush them 3 or 4 times just to get rid of the paper & crap then you are actually using more water. People should be able to choose how much water they use.

They sell adjustable flapper balls & floats. Making someone buy a water saver toilet is stupid. When people have to flush them 3 or 4 times just to get rid of the paper & crap then you are actually using more water. People should be able to choose how much water they use.

If they can PAY for the service? What business is it of Government?

You are correct...

I can't understand the logic behind trying to snuff the incandescent light bulb. How is it better for the environment to encourage the mass use of a light bulb that isn't recyclable (mercury) and therefore more environmentally inefficient (even to the extent of being destructive) than incandescents? Why should I have to wait 15 minutes to get full lighting in the winter, and get migraine headaches when I finally do? Furthermore, why should I have to pay over 4$ for one 'good' CFL when I get 4 incandescents for around a buck and a half. This idea is a economical and environmental fail.

Light bulbs are the sort of minute thing that is best handled by the free market and, based on free market principles, the CFL light bulb is a loser and borderline scam. If you want to put this crap in your house, feel free - but don't try and snuff out the competition in the name of a misguided environmental crusade.

Damn straight, brother!

“This is what your energy efficiency standards are. Call it what it is. You prevent people from making things that consumers want. I find it really appalling and hypocritical and think there should be some self-examination from the administration on the idea that you favor a woman’s right to an abortion, but you don’t favor a woman or a man’s right to choose what kind of light-bulb, what kind of dishwasher, what kind of washing machine. I really find it troubling – this busy-body nature that you want to come into my house, my bathroom, my bedroom, my kitchen, my laundry room. I just really find it insulting and I find that all of the arguments for energy efficiency – you’re exactly right we should conserve energy, but why not do it in a voluntary way? Why do it where you threaten to fine me or put me in jail if I don’t accept your opinion? In America we believe in trying to convince our neighbors, but not trying to convince them through the force of law. I find this antithetical to the American way.”

He's so fucking rhetorical, does he ever have any real answers or solutions to anything or is he your typical Con/Libertarian/Teapartier?

Damn straight, brother!

He's so fucking rhetorical, does he ever have any real answers or solutions to anything or is he your typical Con/Libertarian/Teapartier?

"Let me make my own choices" is an pretty solid answer to those who want to make choices for others.
I already have an answer to the dark. They can take those new bulbs and shove em.

"Let me make my own choices" is an pretty solid answer to those who want to make choices for others.
I already have an answer to the dark. They can take those new bulbs and shove em.

That's not an answer. Everyone makes their own choices everyday.

That's not an answer. Everyone makes their own choices everyday.

The govt is limiting our options.

Forum List

Back