Railroad Strike Still Up In The Air

I get nervous when I can't find any news on a subject...especially this one!

No idea when they will even vote...I thought it was supposed to be last thursday.

How the rail unions plan to ram through their sellout contracts

The unions would have no hope of passing the deal in a free, democratically-run vote. This is why they have no intention of conducting one. Instead, they are seeking to ram through the deal using a multi-pronged approach, including lies, threats and intimidation, and lengthy delays in order to bleed off workers’ momentum.

This underscores the need for the rank-and-file to organize themselves to take control over the entire process, exercising oversight over both the balloting and the entire voting procedure.

Here are a few of the strategies that the unions are likely preparing to deploy:

===== Snip =====

Delaying the vote also serves the function of trying blow off steam among the workers and give the unions’ time to try to sow an atmosphere of fatalism among workers. “They are trying to wear us down,” the yard worker said. “They keep dragging it out to where we will just say, ‘ f*** it. Settle it. I’m done.’

“It seems to me like they [the unions] took away our right to strike,” he concluded. “So what happens if we vote no, and vote this tentative agreement down? Are we just in limbo still? Or do we get to strike? Because the union is saying ‘no one knows.’ There are lot of people that are pissed off.”

2 of the unions just voted to reject the new contract.

Strike still possible starting 11-19-22.

Heard it on the radio.

2 of the unions just voted to reject the new contract.

Strike still possible starting 11-19-22.

Heard it on the radio.

Yep, all over a lack of sick days.

I am betting the companies give in on this one, it is actually a bit shocking in 2022 that they have no paid sick days.

I was cogitating...remember how biden asked the saudis to NOT ANNOUNCE the cuts to oil production until AFTER our elections?

I'm thunkin' maybe biden talked the union heads to delay the strike until AFTER the elections :eusa_think:

I saw maria bartaromo this morning mention "a possible rail strike looming".

That was all she said on the subject but it's the only thing I've heard in over a week.

Yep, all over a lack of sick days.

I am betting the companies give in on this one, it is actually a bit shocking in 2022 that they have no paid sick days.
Its a lot more than that. Basically, nothing changed. Even the "bonus" they get is spread out over 5 years.
My co workers husband is a conductor and he told her they are trying to put only one person on a train now. Used to be 3. Then they went to 2. Now they want only one.
One of the most important jobs in the country, and they fuck with them like that? Id go on strike too.

Its a lot more than that. Basically, nothing changed. Even the "bonus" they get is spread out over 5 years.
My co workers husband is a conductor and he told her they are trying to put only one person on a train now. Used to be 3. Then they went to 2. Now they want only one.
One of the most important jobs in the country, and they fuck with them like that? Id go on strike too.

Cannot argue with that

Forum List

Back