Raccoons to be used for "reacreation dog training"

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
1901651_496481550458534_1020473086_n.jpg

A true horror story is currently unfolding in the state of Georgia. House bill 423 to legalize the capture of wild raccoons to be used as bait for recreational dog training is being processed through the legislature. Legalizing activities that inflict such cruelty to and terror in innocent living beings for “sport” is unthinkable!

http://www.change.org/petitions/georgia-state-senate-georgia-state-senate-oppose-hb-423

If passed, HB 423 will make it legal for hunters to trap LIVE raccoons and use them in cruel field trial competitions where they will be held in cages while dogs are trained to "tree-them".

Terrified caged raccoons will be flung high into trees, hauled across a field, or body of water as frantic, barking dogs give chase. They will be forced to endure this ordeal repeatedly--sometimes for hours on end.

In addition to being terrifying to the raccoons, these activities put the animals at risk of developing chronic stress-induced disorders, which could contribute to the spread of dangerous diseases following their release back into the environment.

These events are cruel, dangerous, and harmful to local ecosystems. Field trials should remain illegal in Georgia.

Just when you think the US has evolved past such cruelty.

A true horror story is currently unfolding in the state of Georgia. House bill 423 to legalize the capture of wild raccoons to be used as bait for recreational dog training is being processed through the legislature. Legalizing activities that inflict such cruelty to and terror in innocent living beings for “sport” is unthinkable!

http://www.change.org/petitions/georgia-state-senate-georgia-state-senate-oppose-hb-423

If passed, HB 423 will make it legal for hunters to trap LIVE raccoons and use them in cruel field trial competitions where they will be held in cages while dogs are trained to "tree-them".

Terrified caged raccoons will be flung high into trees, hauled across a field, or body of water as frantic, barking dogs give chase. They will be forced to endure this ordeal repeatedly--sometimes for hours on end.

In addition to being terrifying to the raccoons, these activities put the animals at risk of developing chronic stress-induced disorders, which could contribute to the spread of dangerous diseases following their release back into the environment.

These events are cruel, dangerous, and harmful to local ecosystems. Field trials should remain illegal in Georgia.

back when i was a kid

my two pet raccoons could take out a dog

back when i was a kid

My bet is that none of the three were trapped in a cage and unable to fight back.

We have raccoons who will take the bird feeders if we leave them out overnight and we're careful that our dog doesn't accidentally come face to face with one of them. We choose to live in a very rural and isolated place and real and raw nature is right outside our door. Its not that hard to live in harmony with the wildlife and cruelty like this is inexcusable.

IMO

back when i was a kid

My bet is that none of the three were trapped in a cage and unable to fight back.

We have raccoons who will take the bird feeders if we leave them out overnight and we're careful that our dog doesn't accidentally come face to face with one of them. We choose to live in a very rural and isolated place and real and raw nature is right outside our door. Its not that hard to live in harmony with the wildlife and cruelty like this is inexcusable.

IMO

yes in this day and age it certainly is uncalled for

forcing and animal to live in FEAR is cruelty.

what kind of evil mind can not understand that?

Well this isn't making any sense to me. If it's a trial or a night hunt not one dog is "training". It is a competition.

Why would they cage the coon?

And why would they train during the day? Coonhunts are always at night. I'm going to check into this.

Last edited:
What do you expect. Aren't these the same people who used to hang a black man in a tree for looking at a white woman? And still would if they could get away with it?

Cruelty is disgusting. People who enage in it should be disposed of quickly and humanely.

Well this isn't making any sense to me. If it's a trial or a night hunt not one dog is "training". It is a competition.

And why would they train during the day? Coonhunts are always at night. I'm going to check into this.

the raccoon is in a cage i presume so the dogs can not get it

it is round so i suppose the raccoon can run in it leaving a scent trail

Well the photo appears to have a catahoula in it. And wouldn't reflect any semblance of proper training be it day or night.

We're talking tracking not by sight but by scent is the goal. To have any dog just chase any crate with a coon visible in it would be useless training to a hunter.

I bred catahoulas. Even a hog hunt is scent. Now the hog dog trials are different because we are talking a confined space and the win is based on the dogs quality of the bay. No holding of the hog is allowed or the dog or dogs are DQ'd immediately.

Working any pup on coon (and I'm learning this is my first coon hound) you how shall I put this nicely, you take a carcass and drag it around your property for starters and tie it to a tree. And you change the route every day. Once the pup gets the hang of it you move on to live.

I'm still at dead. Gee that doesn't sound good does it? :lol:The snow came in so I'm waiting on spring.

From there you do trap a live coon in a safe crate, let your pup investigate it. You free the racoon with the pup not in the area and you pick an area with trees so the coon can get high and then let the pup go to track the coon to the tree.

And the coon doesn't ever get hurt by the dog. That's not the purpose of the hound. It's tracking.

I'm interested in training Raven for search and rescue not hunting coons If we can't eat it we don't hunt it. And I'd like her to be able to follow a blood trail. She's a working hound and that will keep her busy.

I've bookmarked a batch of articles on the bill today but haven't had a chance to read them.

And I'll try to track down the actual bill tomorrow.

Last edited:

Well the photo appears to have a catahoula in it. And wouldn't reflect any semblance of proper training be it day or night.

We're talking tracking not by sight but by scent is the goal. To have any dog just chase any crate with a coon visible in it would be useless training to a hunter.

I bred catahoulas. Even a hog hunt is scent. Now the hog dog trials are different because we are talking a confined space and the win is based on the dogs quality of the bay. No holding of the hog is allowed or the dog or dogs are DQ'd immediately.

Working any pup on coon (and I'm learning this is my first coon hound) you how shall I put this nicely, you take a carcass and drag it around your property for starters and tie it to a tree. And you change the route every day. Once the pup gets the hang of it you move on to live.

I'm still at dead. Gee that doesn't sound good does it? :lol:The snow came in so I'm waiting on spring.

From there you do trap a live coon in a safe crate, let your pup investigate it. You free the racoon with the pup not in the area and you pick an area with trees so the coon can get high and then let the pup go to track the coon to the tree.

And the coon doesn't ever get hurt by the dog. That's not the purpose of the hound. It's tracking.

I'm interested in training Raven for search and rescue not hunting coons If we can't eat it we don't hunt it. And I'd like her to be able to follow a blood trail. She's a working hound and that will keep her busy.

I've bookmarked a batch of articles on the bill today but haven't had a chance to read them.

when i was a kid i had two raccoons when the wind blew in the right direction

it would drive this old guy down the road crazy his hound would go off like mad

--LOL

--LOL

That's funny. I bet they did. I love racoons to death. When we were first brought down to Tennessee by my husbands company we lived at this awesome place called Ridgelake and our unit was literally on the side of a mountain. Anyways I'd set up a big bird feeder on the balcony and needless to say other wildlife discovered the feeder including coons.

One mom in particular was huge and she'd bring up her cub for an evening feed. Sadly one night driving home my husband saw her. No sign of the baby. But a few days later in broad daylight up he came.

All tired and roughed up and stressed out but he found our home and we took care of him. Peanut butter sandwiches, cat food, dog food you, pizza crusts, you name it. Our fridge was his buffet. And of course his bowl of water. Called him Duncan.

We knew we had to keep him wild so we didn't bring him in. He kept coming back all that summer. Then in fall he didn't come back anymore. Because of all our bonus food he turned out to be a racoon version of Hulk Hogan so we weren't worried.

The following spring he came back to visit. In tow was his lady and his twins. It was something special.

Needless to say, we aren't hunting any coons with our coon hound. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:

--LOL

That's funny. I bet they did. I love racoons to death. When we were first brought down to Tennessee by my husbands company we lived at this awesome place called Ridgelake and our unit was literally on the side of a mountain. Anyways I'd set up a big bird feeder on the balcony and needless to say other wildlife discovered the feeder including coons.

One mom in particular was huge and she'd bring up her cub for an evening feed. Sadly one night driving home my husband saw her. No sign of the baby. But a few days later in broad daylight up he came.

All tired and roughed up and stressed out but he found our home and we took care of him. Peanut butter sandwiches, cat food, dog food you, pizza crusts, you name it. Our fridge was his buffet. And of course his bowl of water. Called him Duncan.

We knew we had to keep him wild so we didn't bring him in. He kept coming back all that summer. Then in fall he didn't come back anymore. Because of all our bonus food he turned out to be a racoon version of Hulk Hogan so we weren't worried.

The following spring he came back to visit. In tow was his lady and his twins. It was something special.

Needless to say, we aren't hunting any coons with our coon hound. :eusa_angel:

i have to say my mom was a saint

letting me have those two critters

they got to come in the house

they each had a chair at the table

mom would give them a dish with water to dip their treats in

Luddly check out the pup. It's being super stressed out too. Really look at the picture.

Last edited:
Something had been bugging me about this picture but I've been posting on the fly so I didn't pay too much attention to the detail.

Well last night just before bed I took another look to try to figure out what was bugging me. Check the pup out closely. Look behind the pup.

You will see that someone has jammed a stick thru the collar and there is a dead animal attached to the stick.

Does anyone know where this picture comes from?

Forum List

Back