R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Author of some of the most complex and hypnotic music ever written.

mgid:uma:artist:mtv.com:504607

Jazz composer and pianist Dave Brubeck, whose pioneering style in pieces such as "Take Five" caught listeners' ears with exotic, challenging rhythms, has died. He was 91.

<snip>

Brubeck had a career that spanned almost all American jazz since World War II. He formed The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1951 and was the first modern jazz musician to be pictured on the cover of Time magazine — on Nov. 8, 1954 — and he helped define the swinging, smoky rhythms of 1950s and '60s club jazz.

<snip>

"When you start out with goals — mine were to play polytonally and polyrhythmically — you never exhaust that," Brubeck told The Associated Press in 1995. "I started doing that in the 1940s. It's still a challenge to discover what can be done with just those two elements."

Dave Brubeck dead; Jazz composer, pianist was 91 | Fox News

Fare thee well, Dave...Fare thee well. :salute:

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP, Dave Brubeck

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCmK_eMhpo]Remembering Dave Brubeck with "St. Louis Blues" - YouTube[/ame]

R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Dave Brubeck - Take Five

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs]Dave Brubeck - Take Five - YouTube[/ame]

Jazz composer and pianist Dave Brubeck, whose pioneering style in pieces such as "Take Five" caught listeners' ears with exotic, challenging rhythms, has died. He was 91.

<snip>

Brubeck had a career that spanned almost all American jazz since World War II. He formed The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1951 and was the first modern jazz musician to be pictured on the cover of Time magazine &#8212; on Nov. 8, 1954 &#8212; and he helped define the swinging, smoky rhythms of 1950s and '60s club jazz.

<snip>

"When you start out with goals &#8212; mine were to play polytonally and polyrhythmically &#8212; you never exhaust that," Brubeck told The Associated Press in 1995. "I started doing that in the 1940s. It's still a challenge to discover what can be done with just those two elements."

classic american artform;)

I saw him at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in the 1960s touring behind the Take Five album. Great show! I play drums and his drummer, Joe Morello, was one of my favs.

A true giant. At 91, I shouldn't be shocked. But I'm shocked.

Since it's the season, here's my favorite version of Winter Wonderland:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I had a hard time all day trying to figure out what to put as a tribute to him. I really have no words.

He was a genius. A giant. And we were blessed to have been able to witness and enjoy his true musical greatness.

RIP sir.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjeeW1Makc]Dave Brubeck - Broadway Bossa Nova - Jazzfestival Burghausen 2001 - YouTube[/ame]
Dave Brubeck - Broadway Bossa Nova - Jazzfestival Burghausen 2001

Dave Brubeck was one of the greats of American jazz. What little I know about jazz, I learned when I was in college by listening to several albums of his ("Jazz Goes to College" and "Jazz Goes To Oberlin") and then having a buddy of mine (a music major) tell me what I was hearing.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet dominated jazz for two decades. Brubeck's contrapuntal duels with Paul Desmond were classic - I never tire of listening to them.

Brubeck learned to play piano by ear. He was sent into combat in WWII as an infantry rifleman but, when his company commander heard him playing the piano, he said: "I don't want that man going into combat," and he never did.

I, for one, will miss Dave Brubeck a great deal. Behind the great musician, I sensed that he was also just a nice guy.

<snip>

Brubeck had a career that spanned almost all American jazz since World War II. He formed The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1951 and was the first modern jazz musician to be pictured on the cover of Time magazine — on Nov. 8, 1954 — and he helped define the swinging, smoky rhythms of 1950s and '60s club jazz.

<snip>

"When you start out with goals — mine were to play polytonally and polyrhythmically — you never exhaust that," Brubeck told The Associated Press in 1995. "I started doing that in the 1940s. It's still a challenge to discover what can be done with just those two elements."

Did not know he passed. Definately one of the best jazz composers ever. I still have an old 33 1/3 LP recording of "Take 5" that belonged to my Dad....still sounds good after all of these years.

I grew up in a household filled with music. My adopted father was a pianist/conductor/arranger for the Paul Whiteman Orchestra. I've listed to all of the giants, including Fats Waller in person.

Jack, with a classical training, listened to pianists in a different manner than most. He didn't listen to much "modern" jazz and constantly dissed guy like Errol Gardner.

But, when he heard some of Brubeck's stuff, he praised him for his technique and his ear.

Jack was the kind of guy who'd sit listening to a symphony orchestra and could grumble about one musician making one flat note.

I never heard him find a single thing to complain about when it came to Brubeck. :cool: