R.I.P. Coach Ray Perkins

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Ray Perkins took over the Alabama Crimson Tide as head coach in 1983 when Bear Bryant retired. To follow Bryant's legendary tenure was a huge task. Perkins bore the responsibility with dignity.

His last year as head coach, Bama finished in the AP top 10.

Coach Perkins played under Coach Bryant as a receiver in 1964, 1965, and 1966. Bama won National Championships in 1964 & 1965, with QBs Kenny 'The Snake' Stabler and 'Broadway' Joe Namath.

R.I.P. Coach.

Ray Perkins took over the Alabama Crimson Tide as head coach in 1983 when Bear Bryant retired. To follow Bryant's legendary tenure was a huge task. Perkins bore the responsibility with dignity.

Coach Perkins played under Coach Bryant as a receiver in 1964, 1965, and 1966. Bama won National Championships in 1964 & 1965, with QBs Kenny 'The Snake' Stabler and 'Broadway' Joe Namath.

R.I.P. Coach.
I was living in Tuscaloosa at the time. I was driving past the hospital, coming home from a friend's house in Northport right when they came on with BREAKING NEWS that Bear was dead. Ray wasn't warmly welcomed.

R.I.P. Coach.
I was living in Tuscaloosa at the time. I was driving past the hospital, coming home from a friend's house in Northport right when they came on with BREAKING NEWS that Bear was dead. Ray wasn't warmly welcomed.

I have always thought Perkins was a sacrificial lamb. No one was going to make the fans happy. Bear had been the head coach for 25 year, and won a LOT of games and titles. No one was going to make the fans happy. But Ray did ok. Not great, but ok.

The news that Bryant had died rocked the world.

I didn't know you lived in Tuscaloosa. I was born and grew up there.

Forum List

Back