QWERTY sucks moosecock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrusaderFrank, Jul 16, 2011.

1. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,068
    I'm a "two finger eyes on the keyboard massive backspace to correct errors" typist. I had one typing class in 5th grade on a real typewriter and was confident Id always have a secretary to type stuff up for me so I never took it seriously.

QWERTY is the absolute worst layout for the keys, it had to be designed by some Union.

The most used letters (e, t, i, s, a, o) should be in the middle row and there should be a row for most common words (and, it, the, of, to I, (capital I for Obama speeches))

What the fuck!? Seriously, what the fucking fuck?!!

2. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    The original typewriters had mechanical keys that struck the paper.

So the most used letters were set up so that the striking mechanism wouldn't be close to each other and get tangled up.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    exactly---qwerty was designed so people couldn't type to fast and jam the machine.

4. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    Someone should mass market an illuminated keyboard like this and make a fortune!

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Scotty feels your pain:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE]Hello Computer - YouTube[/ame]

6. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    There are several alternative layouts you can use. the most popular is the Dvorak keyboard. For a while apple keyboards came with a button you could use to switch between Dvorak and Qwerty. Apple found that no one ever touched that switch.

I think if I had the option, I would have chosen to learn on the Dvorak keyboard. It is also supposed to have less Carpel Tunnel issues.

You can re configure your keyboard if you want, and there are Dvorak keyboards out there. YOu can configure the Apple product in less than 30 seconds. As always, it is a little harder with the microsloth product.

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    I learned to type in h.s. and it's one of the most useful things I've ever learned. Everyone should learn. It's not hard and you can type UBER FAST on a keyboard!

Sunni is correct as to why the keys are located the way they are. I am old enough to remember using my aunt's key typewriter and I jammed the damn thing all the time. I used a IBM Selectric ball-style typewriter when I went to work and my goal was to type fast enough (but accurately) to stop that sucker. Didn't happen often but it did happen. heh

It's never to late to learn, Frank. There's free stuff on the web or you can buy a computer cd for $20 at Target. The best part about knowing how to type is that you don't have to look at your fingers/keys. Even correcting errors is a million times faster. It's like your fingers have a mind of their own. :lol:

Typing Test - Learn2Type.com - learn to type online FREE typing tutor and typing tests, typing certification

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum - 25th Anniversary Edition SB (PC) : Target

eta: I could have made this post much shorter by saying: the QWERTY keyboard was invented for typists not hunt-and-peckers. ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You can switch your keyboard layout on any computer. The Dvorak is much faster and easier to use because it is designed to minimize hand movements.

Introducing the Dvorak Keyboard

By the way, QWERTY was designed to keep the hammers on typewriters from interfering with each other. The earliest typists could type faster than a manual typewriter could reset a key. Dvorak should have been standardized when we switched to computers, but people hate change.

9. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Dvorak keyboard on the Mac.
    [​IMG]

10. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221

Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keyboards

Takes about 30 seconds. I have mine set up for QWERTY, Dvorak, and both one handed Dvorak keyboards.