Quote for anti-gun people, "Man hit by police Taser: "That's all you got?"

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Man hit by police Taser: "That's all you got?"
by Rick Moriarty
Saturday March 22, 2008, 12:36 PM

Syracuse, NY.----Syracuse police shot a man with a Taser early this morning after he challenged them to a fight, but the 250-pound suspect pulled the device's electric darts out of his abdomen, laughed and said, "That's all you got?"

Officers said they went to a home at 123 Hartson St. about 2:50 a.m. after a resident, Lakiya Hall, 29, reported that her fiance had punched her.

Police said three officers entered the housing looking for the fiance, Benjamin Myers, 31, who also lives at the residence. When they headed downstairs to the basement, Myers hollered up, "I'm coming up. I don't want any problems," according to police.

But when one of the officers tried to grab his arm, Myers ran into the kitchen, police said. They ordered him to put his hands behind his back because he was under arrest, but he refused, saying "It's gonna take more than three of you to take me down," and then swung at one of the officers, police said.

Police Officer Michael Drury said he immediately fired his Taser at Myers. The Taser is a gun-like device that fires electric darts to temporarily disable a person. The device's probes hit Myers in the lower abdomen, but they had no effect on the 5-foot 9-inch Myers, Drury said. According to the officer, Myers pulled the probes out himself, laughed and said, "That's all you got?"

Myers then pointed to another officer and told him "he was going to knock him out first," Drury said.

When several more officers arrived, Myers finally put his hands behind his back and was arrested, police said.

Hall said Myers had been drinking lots of gin earlier in the evening and hit her in the face with a cell phone and then punched her in the face after she teased him about staring at another woman, police said. She ran out of the house and called police from her van, officers said.

Myers was charged with harassment, resisting arrest and first-degree criminal contempt. Police said Hall had a court order of protection, issued in July, barring Myers from harassing or assaulting her.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/man_hit_by_police_taser_thats.html

That's wild, I wonder how often this happens? I've seen videos of guys being shot with tasers. (BIG GUYS) and it drops them like nothing.
This guy most have alot of nerve. (Pun intended) lol.

When deadly force is necessary, there is no substitute.

thats what im saying. This story could have been VERY tragic for the cops involved if this guy decided to become violent. While, I do agree with non-lethal options there is a clear necessity of lethal options and this is an example of such.

thats what im saying. This story could have been VERY tragic for the cops involved if this guy decided to become violent. While, I do agree with non-lethal options there is a clear necessity of lethal options and this is an example of such.

Did you read the whole article?

The ordeal ended virtually without incident yet you think the guy should have been killed? You're such a humanitarian there Shogun.:cuckoo:

Did you read the whole article?

The ordeal ended virtually without incident yet you think the guy should have been killed? You're such a humanitarian there Shogun.:cuckoo:

Did you read MY post? I said that this COULD HAVE turned into a violent confrontation. How many cops do you know that like to laugh it off when a suspect refuses arrest, swings at cops and laughs off their apprehension techniques. the fact that it did go over without a casualty is a testament to the cops. Why don't you go sign up for the "Taser only" squad of law enforcement if you are so brave about cop safety.

Did you read MY post? I said that this COULD HAVE turned into a violent confrontation. How many cops do you know that like to laugh it off when a suspect refuses arrest, swings at cops and laughs off their apprehension techniques. the fact that it did go over without a casualty is a testament to the cops. Why don't you go sign up for the "Taser only" squad of law enforcement if you are so brave about cop safety.

I did read your post, and you said this was clearly an example where lethal force was necessary. Obviously that's not true.

And of course you are also reading A LOT into my post that just isn't there. I fully support a policy that allows police officers to use there best judgement in the line of duty. I've always been very clear about that. I just don't see what any of this has to do with gun control. And while we may be on the same side of the gun control issue, I especially don't like it when ignorant, irrelevent "evidence" is brandished to support my position. I prefer it live or die on its own fundamental merits. :cool:

I did read your post, and you said this was clearly an example where lethal force was necessary. Obviously that's not true.

And of course you are also reading A LOT into my post that just isn't there. I fully support a policy that allows police officers to use there best judgement in the line of duty. I've always been very clear about that. I just don't see what any of this has to do with gun control. And while we may be on the same side of the gun control issue, I especially don't like it when ignorant, irrelevent "evidence" is brandished to support my position. I prefer it live or die on its own fundamental merits. :cool:

Obviously not, may ass.

But when one of the officers tried to grab his arm, Myers ran into the kitchen, police said. They ordered him to put his hands behind his back because he was under arrest, but he refused, saying "It's gonna take more than three of you to take me down," and then swung at one of the officers, police said.

I don't know what kind of silly fucking town you live in but THIS behaviour can be construed as potentially lethal for a cop who doesn't know if a resisting perp is going for a knife, stashed gun, or any other available weapon.

What does, IT"S GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN THREE OF YOU TO TAKE ME DOWN" mean to you?

This story illustrates the danger of physical harm involved in certain life circumstances that we have no control over AND illustrates the necessity of force beyond laughed off tasers. Would it me clearer if there were a couple dead cops involved?

If the officers determined they needed to shoot the bastard, I wouldn't have a problem with that, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Again, I'm trying to understand why you think this has anything to do with gun control? I'd be willing to bet my next few paychecks that these officers were armed with lethal firearms.

In short, what is your point?

You still have not made one, IMO.

If the officers determined they needed to shoot the bastard, I wouldn't have a problem with that, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Again, I'm trying to understand why you think this has anything to do with gun control? I'd be willing to bet my next few paychecks that these officers were armed with lethal firearms.

In short, what is your point?

You still have not made one, IMO.

With a TASER? The point is made regarding the necessity of lethal force. It has quite a bit to do with gun control considering the worthlessness of mandated tools despite the nature of the encounter.

following yet?

With a TASER? The point is made regarding the necessity of lethal force. It has quite a bit to do with gun control considering the worthlessness of mandated tools despite the nature of the encounter.

following yet?

Not the bullshit you're peddling. I'm proud to say I don't follow that crap anywhere.

from the looks of your postings today i'd say that is a less than accurate statement.

Manifold, what the hell are you talking about? You butt yourself into a thread by calling out a poster, then when he rubs his ass in your face, not to mention your face in your own words, you act like his statements don't make sense...someone needs to tase you, maybe it'll make you as smart as you think you are.

Shogun did NOT say the officers should have shot him. Any sane person would have comprehended he said IF it had gone violent then the guy could have and probably should have been shot.

He made a point that non lethal means are nice to have but should NEVER be the only means available and should NEVER be forced as the only option.

Shogun did NOT say the officers should have shot him. Any sane person would have comprehended he said IF it had gone violent then the guy could have and probably should have been shot.

He made a point that non lethal means are nice to have but should NEVER be the only means available and should NEVER be forced as the only option.

Well played sir...:eusa_dance:

Manifold, what the hell are you talking about? You butt yourself into a thread by calling out a poster, then when he rubs his ass in your face, not to mention your face in your own words, you act like his statements don't make sense...someone needs to tase you, maybe it'll make you as smart as you think you are.

If it was anyone else I probably would have let it slide, but since I'm a big fan of SG's, well...

But seriously, what is this supposed to demonstrate to anti-gun advocates about the folly of their opinions? There's no thesis, no supporting argument, basically, no point. So yes, I called him on it and he has failed miserably to acquit himself. If the point is so abundantly clear to you, perhaps you could enlighten me. Me hates being ignant.

Oh, I get it now, silly me. He wasn't trying to demonstrate to anti-gun advocates the folly in their judgement, he was basically saying to them, nah nah nah nah nah nah!

In which case...

Carry on! :cool:

let me explain...Ant-gun advocates would get rid of every gun on earth if they could. (yet they don't realize that people will kill each other by other methods like they've done for thousands of years)

In the event that this guy (in the article) decided to become violent, (tasers obviously not phasing him) a gun in the hands of the police officer would have have been justified in using lethal force.

Go back and read the thread starting from the beginning and see how absurd your comments sound.

Unless the lethal force was justified in the circumstances it would be bad news for the cop who shot him. Unless the suspect put someone in danger of being killed there's no justification for lethal use of force by a police officer.

Agree?

Forum List

Back