Questions about power out in one room-Electrician Help?!?!

Hioki 3120 AC Voltage Detector, Twin Light Audible, 600V

The model 3120 employs two separate color LEDs to indicate battery power results in green and voltage check decision results in red. By displaying these two functions with different LED colors, the instrument status is apparent in a glance. Battery status can be continually indicated when the unit is on, by having the green LED always lit. You can also activate a switch to minimize power consumption by disabling the green LED when not in use.

The 3120 was also designed with special attention to safety, as well as satisfying CAT IV 600V safety requirements.

Luminous decision results are supplemented by the audible beeper, so that the reliable checking can be conducted even in harsh environments where the visual indication may be obscured.

Features:

Safe and easy to use
Green for battery check
Red for voltage detection with audible tone
Specifications
Measurement Function Voltage Detection
Voltage Range AC 70 to 600 V, 50/60 Hz
(when touching insulated wiring equivalent to IV2mm2
Indication Red LED and continuous beeping sound
Battery Check Green LED
Power supply AAA manganese(R03) or alkaline(LR03) batteries × 2
Rated Voltage DC 3.0 V
Maximum Rated Power 170 mW(max)
Rated Power 27 mW(Typ)(when switched to “ON ”and in standby)
Continuous Use approx. 200 hours
(when switched to“ON ” and in standy using LR03 batteries)
Dimensions, mass 149 mm(5.87 in)H × f18.5 mm(0.73 in), 38 g (1.34 oz)
Accessories AAA manganese(R03) batteries(2)

For your safety, get an electrician, he will be able to determine why the circuit is tripping, there are many reasons this could be happening, if your home has been built in the last 10 - 11 years, you will have an arch fault breaker for safety reasons, but they are very tempermental.....I know they are more expensive, but it is better to be safe than sorry with this issue.....good luck.....

There is a sensor that you can get from electrical supply stores for $20 or so that senses the magnetic field around the hot wire, it will light up or beep when it senses voltage.

Yes, I have two of them. My older one just lights up. My new one lights up and beeps. There does NOT have to be current present, only voltage. Works on A/C and D/C. Just hold it near the wire. Or if you're standing under a telephone pole with a main line on it, say 2,500 VAC or so, you can be thirty feet away from it and it will go off. Yup, picks up the electromagnetic field.

Yeah, pretty useless when diagnosing Double electric wall oven control panels. Good on 115VAC, good on snowed in evaporator coils on refrigerators, checking heaters or terminators.

For your safety, get an electrician, he will be able to determine why the circuit is tripping, there are many reasons this could be happening, if your home has been built in the last 10 - 11 years, you will have an arch fault breaker for safety reasons, but they are very tempermental.....I know they are more expensive, but it is better to be safe than sorry with this issue.....good luck.....

I think EZ got a hold of her maintenance guy about 50 posts ago.

She said "handi-man" which sort of makes me a little nervous.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

She said "handi-man" which sort of makes me a little nervous.

Have Faith MM! ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
There is a sensor that you can get from electrical supply stores for $20 or so that senses the magnetic field around the hot wire, it will light up or beep when it senses voltage.

Yes, I have two of them. My older one just lights up. My new one lights up and beeps. There does NOT have to be current present, only voltage. Works on A/C and D/C. Just hold it near the wire. Or if you're standing under a telephone pole with a main line on it, say 2,500 VAC or so, you can be thirty feet away from it and it will go off. Yup, picks up the electromagnetic field.

Yeah, pretty useless when diagnosing Double electric wall oven control panels. Good on 115VAC, good on snowed in evaporator coils on refrigerators, checking heaters or terminators.

This is my new one. A Greenlee Inductive Voltage Detector. $20 straight from the electrical supplier...

prob.jpg

I've been using them about 21 years now, I know they have been around allot longer than that. Save me allot of time.

I am a home builder, couldn't resit....

I've been using them about 21 years now, I know they have been around allot longer than that. Save me allot of time.

Saved me from handling hot wires lots of times.

Scenario:

Me: "Hey Gary... is this circuit dead?"

Gary: "I think so."

-check circuit-

Me: "NO, IT'S NOT!"

Last edited:

Scenario:

-check circuit-

Sounds like one time my super was up on top of a condo unit wiring new lights and was finishing up at the junction box. I was down below at the electrical closet when I swore I heard him say "okay, turn the power on". I did and a few seconds later there was a huge POW and billowing smoke. Luckily (but stupidly) he was using a rubber gripped leatherman to stuff the wires in the box and stripped a couple in the process, he was fine, the leatherman was trashed.

Scenario:

-check circuit-

Back in the day I always insisted on using a "wiggy" for checking voltage in control boxes of machinery. Still do. One day a fellow engineer from another plant was using his fluke meter to do that. I say, "Hey Tim, that's not the toy you wanna use for that, it can give you a false reading." He of much more experience than me at the time says, "Naw, if this is hot this meter will tell."

Well, no, sometimes they don't. Anyhow I was busy on another machine, and a little later on I heard him yelp. He'd gotten himself zapped because the box was indeed, still hot in some places. Not seriously hurt, thank goodness, he was of course stunned. I brought my wiggy over and found all of the hot spots his DMM had lied about.

20470.jpg

"Don't leave home without it."

We hopped over to the supply house during lunch and got Tim one.

Great discussion guys... call me weird, but I love the electrical shit... :lol:
Actually it's refreshing to have a rational discussion on here. The techie stuff seems to bore the usual gang of mindless dolts who populate USMB.

Shall we go into PLCs? I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I made my retirement retrofitting old machinery with these babies. My home HVAC is all electric, and one of the first things I did after buying the house was putting a PLC on that! This little "brick" replaced a 5 gallon bucket full of old electrical junk and made the whole system easily programmable, on the fly, from my PC!

Great discussion guys... call me weird, but I love the electrical shit... :lol:
Actually it's refreshing to have a rational discussion on here. The techie stuff seems to bore the usual gang of mindless dolts who populate USMB.

Shall we go into PLCs? I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I made my retirement retrofitting old machinery with these babies. My home HVAC is all electric, and one of the first things I did after buying the house was putting a PLC on that! This little "brick" replaced a 5 gallon bucket full of old electrical junk and made the whole system easily programmable, on the fly, from my PC!

Ah yes, a Programmable Logic Controller. One of the machine shops I worked Maintenance in was filled with CNC machining centers, Computer Numerically Controlled. Similar but not quite.

Yes I do notice that the sassy trolls conveniently stay away from the tech talk. Too much logic and not enough emotion going on.

Last edited:
I just wish y'all lived by me and could come over and fix it for a home-cooked vegetarian dinner!

My "handi-man" should be by tomorrow if he and I can work out a time. :eusa_pray:

Unitl then daughter is sleeping in the living room, she likes it since the TV, computer, etc is all out there.

I just wish y'all lived by me and could come over and fix it for a home-cooked vegetarian dinner!

My "handi-man" should be by tomorrow if he and I can work out a time. :eusa_pray:

Unitl then daughter is sleeping in the living room, she likes it since the TV, computer, etc is all out there.

As voiced earlier in this thread EZ, I'm hoping this "handi-man" knows what he's doing, and most of all, I hope he knows "CODE." I don't know about where you live, but here in Wisconsin, once an electrician TOUCHES a circuit, he owns it. So since it's like that, the electrician will make sure that circuit is up to code, meaning that it conforms to all the safety and construction requirements by the NEC. A handi-man might be able to get the circuit working, but he may not fix it to code, and to make it worse, he may just create a fire hazard. I really would recommend calling a licensed electrician in this instance, then you can rest assured the work is done right. He has to take responsibility for his work. He'll be bonded too. An electrician here in Wisconsin can't even show up to a job unless he has his code book with him.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back