Questions about power out in one room-Electrician Help?!?!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
My daughter's bedroom has no power, the rest of the condo does. I switched the circut breaker on and off, nothing happened. (That usually restarted it before)

Is there something else I can do before I have to "call someone" for professional help? :eusa_pray:

Thanks!

My daughter's bedroom has no power, the rest of the condo does. I switched the circut breaker on and off, nothing happened. (That usually restarted it before)

Is there something else I can do before I have to "call someone" for professional help? :eusa_pray:

Thanks!

It could be the Breaker itself. It could break in the line. If you have power everywhere else. Try turning the Breaker on and off a couple of times with everything on the line unplugged. If you still have no power, you need an Electrician. If you plug something in and it blows the breaker instantly, what you plugged in is shorted.

Do ever notice voltage drop on that line, like lights dimming? Anything major plugged it there that is high current?

Sounds like the breaker went bad. The breaker for her room is constantly tripping? If so that's a bad thing, either a short in the system (bad outlet, nail partially through a wire, etc) or you have the circuit overloaded. Switching out a breaker is fairly easy but unless you're comfortable with it don't try, call a pro.

I wouldn't recommend trying to switch out a breaker on your own if you've never even worked with electrical wiring before.

If you have rudimentary knowledge then it's probably ok.

Just please make sure you cut the main breaker off first!

EZ, is her room the only zone for the breaker that controls it?

Like, if you turn the breaker off that powers her room, does anything else go off besides her room?

If you've had the breaker trip before, A) you have too much load on that circuit and you need to have it split up and B) You need to replace the breaker because its probably worn out from tripping.

Replacing a breaker is very easy, they snap out. Just make sure you turn off the power to the house. You'll need a screwdriver to remove the metal facing on the breaker box. You can buy new breakers at an hardware store, just be sure to match the size. Do not go up a size in order to accommodate the load, if anyone tells you to do so, he's giving bad, and unsafe, advise.

Like, if you turn the breaker off that powers her room, does anything else go off besides her room?

Yes, it's the breaker for her room, there is a breaker for each section of the condo.

I guess I'm going to have to call someone, I'm scared to fix it by myself. :(

Yes, it's the breaker for her room, there is a breaker for each section of the condo.

Darn it! That'll cost money. If you lived near by I'd fix it for you.

You know it's the circuit breaker if, when you go to turn it back on, that it doesn't snap into place like it used to. It'll feel different. But, there's a reason why the circuit is tripping. Is your daughter using a space heater and, say, a hair dryer at the same time?

did you check to see if you have a ground breaker in the electric switches? normally they are in bathrooms....

you dont need to pay to have this done.....find some dude who will do it for a free dinner...simple as that...ask around work...

you can fix this yourself....as paulie said...turn off the main breaker....all you have to do is take out the breaker and replace it....wires are color coded...wire nuts and electrical tape should do it all...

you can fix this yourself....as paulie said...turn off the main breaker....all you have to do is take out the breaker and replace it....wires are color coded...wire nuts and electrical tape should do it all...

Breakers just snap out, no wiring ability required. Replacing a breaker is much easier than replacing a plug, and replacing a plug is easy.

if the breaker immediately trips when you try to reset it, something is shorting out. check to make sure nothing is plugged in to any of the outlets and then try to reset it. if it still won't reset, the breaker's gone to breaker heaven. breakers don't often go bad, especially in a residential application.

As easy as it is, I can understand why someone would be scared to do it themselves.

As long as that main if off, there's no way you can get zapped. But that sometimes isn't enough peace of mind for someone who's never worked with electrical circuits before.

If I was there, I'd do it for the dinner.

And a movie :D

Thanks!
Why do you hate electricians?

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Thanks!
Why do you hate electricians?

Why do you hate people who don't want to pay an exorbitant cost to an electrician?

EZ. How old is the Wiring? How old is the Condo? Are your outlets (Receptacles) 2 prong or 3 prong? If the place is old, have an electrician check it out. A short in the line can cause fire. You said Condo. Don't they have maintenance crews? Talk to the management office.

Forum List

Back