Question, why do christians bow to statues?

What is the purpose of doing this?

mary_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

mary_worship34.jpg
Christians that believe the Bible would not do that. I can quote the scripture if you'd like

Well yeah, they do but obviously don't understand the 2nd commandment....

Or, perhaps we understand it perfectly. Question: Do you have any knick-knacks around your home in the shapes of people, birds, or animals? If so, do you consider this breaking the commandment?

Back in the culture of the time, people had their own personal god/protector in the form of a carved image. The image itself was the god. (Think of the golden calf.) People had to be taught that these images were not gods, and certainly not God. They were idols, similar to a lucky rabbit's foot or a lucky penny in our own time.

People who want to go so far as not to have art, knick-knacks or even photographs in their lives (as they are all images) for religious reasons, more power to them. As for the rest of us, we now easily distinguish between art and God. Art can inspire us to worship and to prayer, but that art is not God. That's the difference.

Keep in mind Jesus' cautioned against straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel. (Both were considered unclean.) It does not honor God to spit on those worshiping Him.

It's wrong and silly

Have you ever heard people burying a small statue of St Peter in their yard to help sell their home?

It's wrong and silly

Have you ever heard people burying a small statue of St Peter in their yard to help sell their home?
No. But that's probably because it is a statue of St. Joseph, not St. Peter. ;) (As you know, Catholics believe in intercessory prayer and see nothing wrong with asking those who have passed on to join them in prayer. I should look up the symbolism of burying the statue, though. I've always felt that was a little odd.)

My garden is decorated with angels, hummingbirds, birds, St. Francis of Assisi, and a porcupine. It's artwork. Inside, two of my favorites are a statue of the lion and the lamb, and another of Jesus as the Good Shepherd, holding the lamb. While I may not be thinking of Christ before entering the room, he immediately comes to mind upon entering it.

It's wrong and silly

No. But that's probably because it is a statue of St. Joseph, not St. Peter. ;) (As you know, Catholics believe in intercessory prayer and see nothing wrong with asking those who have passed on to join them in prayer. I should look up the symbolism of burying the statue, though. I've always felt that was a little odd.)

My garden is decorated with angels, hummingbirds, birds, St. Francis of Assisi, and a porcupine. It's artwork. Inside, two of my favorites are a statue of the lion and the lamb, and another of Jesus as the Good Shepherd, holding the lamb. While I may not be thinking of Christ before entering the room, he immediately comes to mind upon entering it.
I had a feeling it wasn't St Peter...bah!

Anyway, not saying your doomed to be praying before statues. I do personally think God would prefer you to pray to him without feeling as if you need an object before you

Why do you bow to a big eared disaster?

So you don't know why you bow and pray to statues?

Sure I do but you'd never grasp it. Why do you make so many threads about something it is obvious you are clueless about? Did a Christian pee in your Fruity Pebbles?

I asked a simple question that you cannot even answer, why is that?

catholic_idolaters.jpg

EP-705239585.jpg

Symbolism, now answer my questions

I thought christians claimed to follow the Hebrew Bible
catholic-idol-worship.jpg
Actually that is true.

Anyway, not saying your doomed to be praying before statues. I do personally think God would prefer you to pray to him without feeling as if you need an object before you

Prayer requires no object. And (for Catholics) no object stands in the way of prayer. It is unfortunate an object can make people of another faith or denomination too uncomfortable to pray.

Prayer requires no object. And (for Catholics) no object stands in the way of prayer. It is unfortunate an object can make people of another faith or denomination too uncomfortable to pray.

No it doesn't

mary_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

mary_worship34.jpg
Christians that believe the Bible would not do that. I can quote the scripture if you'd like
Yet there are folks that do it..

Kinda between them and God, dontcha think?

Exactly.
There is also a difference between speaking Biblical truth and sowing discord. (Prov. 11:9). The Bible clearly warns us to mark those who cause division and strife and to avoid them. They are used by the Devil to cause trouble to the church and to the work of the Gospel (Romans 16:17).

I'm not Catholic but I found this.

Why Do Catholics Pray to Statues?
http://lifeteen.com/blog/author/lifeteen/

Catholics do not pray to statues.

That would be idolatry and therefore, a violation of the First Commandment. If a person prays to a statue out of superstition, believes that the statue has special powers or is even God – that is idolatry.

However, this is not what Catholics do when they pray in front of a statue. Catholics worship with their whole person and all of the senses.

Statues have a history in the Church – they’ve been around for awhile. Before the printing press was invented, it was difficult for a person to find the Bible in print. People didn’t have individual Bibles to teach them about the story of salvation. And even if there was a Bible around most people couldn’t even read.

Statues and other pieces of religious art became a means for the Church to teach the Bible. A person could walk into a monastery or church and learn about Jesus Christ by simply looking at the religious art and the story that the art told.

mary_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

mary_worship34.jpg

You can quote a lot of Scripture and it wouldn't make any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, but some people might want to know. People entrenched in their beliefs are unlikely to change however

mary_worship.jpg

mary-statue-worship.jpg

mary_worship34.jpg
Yet there are folks that do it..

Kinda between them and God, dontcha think?
Well yes, it all is, but this is the top of discussion

Yes, and it's also the answer to the topic question: they do it because they believe God wants them to.

There's not much answer you can really give to a question designed to be an attack.

Forum List

Back