Question RE: Medical Marijuana Card...

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
I recently had a friend tell me that a close friend of his was denied employment at a legal office as an assistant because during the application/background check process they were able to determine that he had a medical marijuana card...

This is the first I have heard a story like this, does anyone know if this is a common occurrence or how this works exactly?

The obvious question I have is, will I be putting my employment in jeopardy should I choose to get one of their medical marijuana cards? (specifically in reference to any possibility of a paper trail sort of problem).

*In San Diego, CA*

I never heard of that happening but I would think your friend's friend has very solid (and interesting) grounds for a lawsuit.

The basic problem with medical MJ cards is that while a state can make possession of MJ for medical purposes legal, the Feds still consider it illegal, and will prosecute. This threat of Federal prosecution runs more to the doctors who are being asked to sign the certificates, rather than to the individual user. Ask your doc to sign a certificate. Chances are that he or she will not - because they are afraid of losing their license to the Feds, who will take action to get the license of any medical doctor who signs for a patient to get medical MJ.

I'm thinking that being denied employment because of possession of a med MJ card, may have something to do with the employer's fear of federal intervention, even though it is legal in the state of California.

As an ex-OTR truck driver, I would think the problem is that there is no way, currently, to test for TIME of inebriation, since, unlike alcohol, marijuana remains in your system, whether you smoked last weekend, or blew a J for breakfast.

Many jobs require COMPLETE sobriety, and even ban the use of medications such as OTC cold remedies, all of which are excreted from a person in a certain amount of time, and are therefore able to be identified using a drug test.

In my Public Transportation bus driving job training, the trainer straight-up told us that if we were going to do drugs? DO THE HARD ONE's, which were undetectable within 3 days. Funny, but also horrifying...

Just my 2¢

Forum List

Back