Racial Slur Prompts School To Cancel Production of "To Kill A Mockingbird"

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Racial Slur Prompts School To Cancel Play - News Story - WFTV Orlando

PALM COAST, Fla. -- A Florida school committee has canceled a high school production of "To Kill a Mockingbird" because of offensive language in the play.
The theater director at Flagler Palm Coast High School, Ed Koczergo, says the problem is the N-word. Koczergo says the word can't be removed from the script because of copyright laws.

Principal Jacob Oliva says parents, students and community members began complaining about it during the third week of rehearsals. The production was scheduled to open Nov. 12.

Ow, the stupidity, it hurts. :eusa_eh:

amazing...remember mark furman was just guilty of saying ******...and that allowed a murderer to go free....

people are amazingly stupid....

PALM COAST, Fla. -- A Florida school committee has canceled a high school production of "To Kill a Mockingbird" because of offensive language in the play.
The theater director at Flagler Palm Coast High School, Ed Koczergo, says the problem is the N-word. Koczergo says the word can't be removed from the script because of copyright laws.

Principal Jacob Oliva says parents, students and community members began complaining about it during the third week of rehearsals. The production was scheduled to open Nov. 12.
:eusa_silenced::oops:let me guess, another decision made by zero tolerance rules

:eusa_silenced::oops:let me guess, another decision made by zero tolerance rules

Nope.

The stupidity is on those parents, students, and community members who complained. The only wrong thing the school did in this case was cave in into such stupidity.

Nope.

The stupidity is on those parents, students, and community members who complained. The only wrong thing the school did in this case was cave in into such stupidity.
well, it is in line with the "zero tolerance" rules
or as i refer to them, "zero common sense"

;)

So another part of the American heritage is thrown in the wastebasket. I just saw this movie with Gregory Peck on TCM a few weeks ago and it does have parts where people with accute sensitivites can have problems with. This is just another time where instead of dealing with the evils of the world they try to cover it up. Those kids if they had seen the play would have (hopefully) gained some insight into the racial atmosphere of those times. But now they are being insulated from it because it offends someone.

George Santayana: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Ah yes, the teaching of hypersensitive censorship at it's finest. Maybe these same complainers can go through the library inventory and find books for a community bonfire also. Come one, come all, marshmallows provided!

“There is a chalk outline being drawn around common sense, and most people cannot even identify the victim.” -- Dennis Miller

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
It is the same thing with Huck Finn and "****** Jim", I have read it is the most banned book in the US.

Never mind Twain portrays Jim as the most noble character in the story.

I think the greatest crime PC commits is the attempt to make us believe reality is not real.

If it does not feel good, you can not say it.

:eusa_eh:

Like someone's gonna sue if the performer uses a generic term of derision during the performance?

Surely, no lawyer or judge would even hear them out.

I'd have to go along with "PC Stupidity" on this. Political correctness is nothing more than censorship plain and simple.

The book gave a powerful and compelling message about a number of things, some of which are very applicable in this day and time, but which are greatly ignored. The movie is one of those that should never be colorized - it would suffer greatly in terms of impact.

Political Correctness claims another victim

I have seen both ends of the political spectrum do this type of stupidity. We had a hell of a fight over Huck Finn several years ago in the school board, with a combination of right wing and left wing parents joining forces for different reasons to get the result they wanted. The book stayed, of course, but hard feelings still exist here because of it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvgUAymSPM&p=79EB76FC0511CA81&playnext=1&index=15[/ame]

Forum List

Back