Question from non US citizen

MonkeyWarren

Rookie
Feb 6, 2006
Hi, this is a serious question.

In US movies and TV shows you always see friends and neighbours just going into someone's fridge and helping themselves to food without asking. Does this really happen?

It's a thought I've had for years but never found out the answer to. I would be very grateful of any info. If I don't find out I think my head might explode!

MonkeyWarren said:

In US movies and TV shows you always see friends and neighbours just going into someone's fridge and helping themselves to food without asking. Does this really happen?

It's a thought I've had for years but never found out the answer to. I would be very grateful of any info. If I don't find out I think my head might explode!
It doesn't happen normally, however, it does happen between close friends or neighbors.

I don't normally go to people's homes and just help myself to whatever is in their refrigerator. I however, will at my parents' home, but then, that's expected.

P.S. and in spite of what you may have heard, we aren't all cowboys, millionaires and nymphomaniacs, either. Plus, most of the country doesn't act like they live in Southern California or New York City.

Some people have an expression....

You have been at my house more than a couple of times, help yourself.

Among family, it's not that big of a deal.

For the friends who are like family, the same rules apply.

It had to be a Beefheart fan that would reply to my stupid sounding question. hehe :)

Yeah I think doing it at the family home is universal throughout the world. I'm in the UK and it would never happen here with friends or neighbours really. Not because we don't want to share our food but because the friend/neighbours would feel it was not appropriate.Silly really.

It's just one of those little things that just boggles my brain around a bit every now and then.

fast 'n' bulbous friend

MonkeyWarren said:
It had to be a Beefheart fan that would reply to my stupid sounding question. hehe :)

Yeah I think doing it at the family home is universal throughout the world. I'm in the UK and it would never happen here with friends or neighbours really. Not because we don't want to share our food but because the friend/neighbours would feel it was not appropriate.Silly really.

It's just one of those little things that just boggles my brain around a bit every now and then.

fast 'n' bulbous friend
I'm still amazed that anyone knows who Captain Beefheart was....

it's too much for my mirror.....

He's very well respected and admired over here in the so called underground scene. Mainly with the punk rock/metal crowd.

MonkeyWarren said:
He's very well respected and admired over here in the so called underground scene. Mainly with the punk rock/metal crowd.
Actually, the other poster who knows who the Captain was, is Said1 and she's Canadian....

It must be that he enjoys more popularity abroad than here in the States.

Of course, CB hasn't recorded in years... he retired from music and now paints instead. From what I've read on the Internet, he's quite successful at it. He also is rumored to be suffering from Multiple Sclerosis.

Some of his former bandmates did a reunion a few years agao as "The Magic Band" (sans the Captain) and recorded a CD of some of their old material.

I see that itunes just started offering some of his material, too.

I have a cousin who met him back in the early 1970s. According to him, the Captain was quite personable, approachable and down to earth.

Hobo Chang Ba

MonkeyWarren said:

no

I downloaded a beefheart cd once; I clearly wasn't high enough to understand it, let alone enjoy it. There were a couple good tracks I saved for samples, but in general, it left me confused.

yeah. He's great. http://www.beefheart.com/runpaint/index.html

the magic band played in london not so long ago. My friend saw them and said it was mind blowing even without Beefheart. Imagine seeing him in the heyday or even when he played with zappa. That's blowing my tiny little box brain more than the fridge question!

KarlMarx said:
Actually, the other poster who knows who the Captain was, is Said1 and she's Canadian....

It must be that he enjoys more popularity abroad than here in the States.

The stuff our parents force upon us. It's abuse really.

I enjoy a few of his songs, but not many. I keep hoping some sort of rythm with prevail and am let down time and time again.

Welcome Monkeyman.

Personally, I don't even go in my mother's fridge without asking, but that's just me. I don't care if others do it at my house, though.

I guess I'm odd, then....

My Beefheart collection

Yellow Brick Road
Strictly Personal
Trout Mask Replica
Lick My Decals Off Baby
Mirror Man Sessions

The "Decals" CD has been out of print for years. I bought a copy on eBay.

I find that it's great music to code by....

The ClayTaurus, the thing with beefheart is that most people listen and think what a load of random rubbish

or

the guy is a fucking genius!

MonkeyWarren said:
The ClayTaurus, the thing with beefheart is that most people listen and think what a load of random rubbish

or

the guy is a fucking genius!

As is with most music. I listen to plenty of music that many deem complete, random rubbish. I don't doubt there is some thought within his music; I just don't understand it. I think drugs would help with that goal, but alas, drugs and I don't get along.

that's cool. it's not for everyone. But I disagree about the drugs. I have never taken any and listened to beefheart to understand it.

Either you get it or you don't I guess. The main thing is you tried it :)

MonkeyWarren said:
that's cool. it's not for everyone. But I disagree about the drugs. I have never taken any and listened to beefheart to understand it.

Either you get it or you don't I guess. The main thing is you tried it :)
Sorry, wasn't trying to say you were on drugs, just that I think my particular brain would need to be distracted enough to look at the music in a significantly different way, if that makes sense.

MonkeyWarren said:

I had a friend who did that once. Emphasis on "had" and "once". This person had no boundaries and got terribly upset when I asked what he thought he was doing. Had he asked permission, it would not have been an issue.

And please bear this in mind, most Americans don't act like, or share the same values as, the current crop of liars, poltroons and blackguards that make up the Bush administration.

I was just wondering if it was something you do. For instance it is true we brits drink a lot of tea. I'm not suggesting for one minute that Americans are generous, thoughtful, caring people who share their fridge's :)

MonkeyWarren said:
I was just wondering if it was something you do. For instance it is true we brits drink a lot of tea. I'm not suggesting for one minute that Americans are generous, thoughtful, caring people who share their fridge's :)

Oh no feel free to think of us as generous, thoughtful and caring. :D

Forum List

Back