Question for thoses who have cats

Yes, Maine Coon's are an absolutely BEAUTIFUL breed!
Sometimes alot of brush work, but...They are simply adorible!
I had a cat that was part Maine Coon when I was a kid. My only complaint is that she used to always catch rabbits, drag them home, disembowel them and spread the intestines out all over the front porch. All she would eat is the heart and liver. And I had to clean up the huge mess that was leftover.

Last edited:
That happened because your cat is lacking in sufficient lubricant to accomodate grooming (licking). The fine trenches in its tongue become dried out and hair gets caught in them.

You can pick up a product in a pet supply store called hairball remedy (Hartz Mountain is a major brand). It comes in a tube and smells like malt. Squeeze a half-inch onto your finger once a day and the cat will lick it off (they love it). It will replace the natural tongue lubricant the cat is lacking and will aid in discharging hairballs as well as releasing hair from the tongue trenches.

I've not had a long haired cat since I can remember--we always had tabby short hairs and calicos when I was a kid and then we raised purebred Siamese for decades, so I'm not familiar with this particular kind of cat disaster. But what Mike is saying here makes perfectly good sense. Cats, just like dogs or people, do develop certain deficiencies or maladies that vary from cat to cat and sometimes are quite rare. And just as some people are susceptible to chronic dry mouth, so are some cats.

I did have one half Lhasa half Keeshound though who had a thick heavy arctic coat combination of both breeds. When he was a pup he cried and yelped when he was pottying and I thought he had something terribly wrong with his innards that was hurting him. The vet had no clue. Then one day I figured out the stuff was sticking to and pulling the hair on his bottom. We kept that area clipped after that. No more problem. Sometimes the solution is simple. :)

This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

I have had many cats in my life time,but I have never had this happen.
Has this happened with anyone else?
My cat got her tongue stuck in her fur right underneath her chin on her chest. She could not move her head to get unstuck. She then raised her paw up and started to make help me sounds for me to help her. It scared me so much that I thought maybe she was having a stroke or heart attack or something until I got close enough to look at her. I had to pull the fur off her tongue in order to get her lose.
This is a first for me as a cat owner. :eek:
:lol: You should have got a video of the incident and sent it to America's funniest pets.

Yes, I wanted to but it all happened too damn fast. :lol:

I think Tailsman is right. She put her head to far back and then couldn't follow through with it and got stuck. But thank you for the advise Mike. If it happens again I will go and get some hair ball remedy.

Forum List

Back