Question for thoses who have cats

peach174

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
S.E. AZ
This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

I have had many cats in my life time,but I have never had this happen.
Has this happened with anyone else?
My cat got her tongue stuck in her fur right underneath her chin on her chest. She could not move her head to get unstuck. She then raised her paw up and started to make help me sounds for me to help her. It scared me so much that I thought maybe she was having a stroke or heart attack or something until I got close enough to look at her. I had to pull the fur off her tongue in order to get her lose.
This is a first for me as a cat owner. :eek:

Wow. She lookes just like my cat Duke.
Sorry, no, thats never happened. Weired though.

Well lot's of long haired black cats look alike. But did Duke ever get his tongue stuck is his fur?

This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

My cat got her tongue stuck in her fur right underneath her chin on her chest. She could not move her head to get unstuck. She then raised her paw up and started to make help me sounds for me to help her. It scared me so much that I thought maybe she was having a stroke or heart attack or something until I got close enough to look at her. I had to pull the fur off her tongue in order to get her lose.
Turkish Angora?

Ive had a similar thing happen a while back, but there was a collar on the cat and she managed to get her jaw on the collar while cleaning, and was freaking out until I was able to get it (the clasp) loose. They no longer wear collars.... :eek:

Does'nt sound like yours had on a collar though :eusa_eh:

Wierd..... Hope it dont happen again.
Maybe put something that tastes bad there so she wont lick there so much. :dunno:

Pretty cat :cool:

This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

I've seen it happen, and yeah, it's a freaky thing to behold! :eek:

When my cat did this, years ago, it was because he "hiked" his head too far back to have enough "follow through" room, so that he could complete the "cleaning process" on the long fur he had.

He too, was Maine Coon.

Think of it as swatting a fly.
If you start from a few feet away, you'll be sure to have a decent "smack" worked up when attempting to kill the little critter. But, if you only have 6 inches to work up a "smack", you probably won't work up enough force to bend a wing, much less kill him.

Hope this helps! :redface:

Ive had a similar thing happen a while back, but there was a collar on the cat and she managed to get her jaw on the collar while cleaning, and was freaking out until I was able to get it (the clasp) loose. They no longer wear collars.... :eek:

Does'nt sound like yours had on a collar though :eusa_eh:

Wierd..... Hope it dont happen again.
Maybe put something that tastes bad there so she wont lick there so much. :dunno:

Pretty cat :cool:

Yes, I had a cat in the late 70's get caught like that on his collar, so I have never put a collar on any of my cats since then. I have never had one get their tongue caught on their fur though. She had her mouth open and her little paw up in the air and she was screaming like she was dying and she could'nt move at all. It Scared the ever loving hell out of me. I hope it never happens to me again.

Good luck with the kitty..... post up some more pics if ya get a chance.

There are alot of cat softies here.

I know.... Im one of them :tongue:

This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

When my cat did this, years ago, it was because he "hiked" his head too far back to have enough "follow through" room, so that he could complete the "cleaning process" on the long fur he had.

He too, was Maine Coon.

If you start from a few feet away, you'll be sure to have a decent "smack" worked up when attempting to kill the little critter. But, if you only have 6 inches to work up a "smack", you probably won't work up enough force to bend a wing, much less kill him.

Yes!! It help's very much. I think she did the same thing. I wonder if it's a maine coon thing?
This is my 2nd maine coon. I had a male a few years back. I love the breed.

This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

He too, was Maine Coon.

Yes!! It help's very much. I think she did the same thing. I wonder if it's a maine coon thing?
This is my 2nd maine coon. I had a male a few years back. I love the breed.

You're welcome! :bye1:

Yes, Maine Coon's are an absolutely BEAUTIFUL breed!
Sometimes alot of brush work, but...They are simply adorible!

That happened because your cat is lacking in sufficient lubricant to accomodate grooming (licking). The fine trenches in its tongue become dried out and hair gets caught in them.

You can pick up a product in a pet supply store called hairball remedy (Hartz Mountain is a major brand). It comes in a tube and smells like malt. Squeeze a half-inch onto your finger once a day and the cat will lick it off (they love it). It will replace the natural tongue lubricant the cat is lacking and will aid in discharging hairballs as well as releasing hair from the tongue trenches.

This is a pic of my cat
View attachment 12438

:lol: You should have got a video of the incident and sent it to America's funniest pets.

Forum List

Back