Question for the left regarding alternative energy and climate change

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Confounding, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,815
    A plan on reliable energy cannot be had until such time as we get our grid overhauled and isolated from other networks, like the internet.

A plan should be developed to build, in each state, a series of small (1mW or less) power reactors that have reprocessing capabilities to reprocess fuel. Of course this plan will require a means to transport and eliminated the byproduct. Which is the real sticking point. I prefer to launch it into space and send it on a decaying orbit toward the sun which would eat up our waste very efficiently.

2. Confounding

Confounding BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    It'd really suck if a bunch of nuclear waste blew up in our atmosphere, but yeah, shooting it into space is one option. I've also read recently that it's possible to make reactors that recycle the waste.

3. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,815
    They make containers that can take being struck by a train at 60mph without breaking open. I'm pretty sure they can design a container that if needed, could withstand reentry temperatures.

I understand the concern, but it would be an elegant solution to a very toxic substance. Hell, we could get rid of a lot of toxic substances that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fort Fun Indiana

Fort Fun Indiana Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,784
    No.

And we are not going to embrace nuclear energy in this country. Our government offered 4 guaranteed loans to any company willing to build a new nuke plant just a few years ago.

Zero companies accepted.

5. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,426
    IMO, we should be investing more in fusion power. No carbon emissions and minimal radioactivity.

ITER - the way to new energy