Question For Gun Buffs?

I've never fired a Kalashnikov but I was issued both the M16a1 and a2 and they were both top notch firearms in every respect.

They were both tough and accurate.

I was so impressed with it, I've owned it's civilianized cousin, the AR15 from that day to this.

Thanks for this revealing video. It squares with everything else I've read and heard.

Irby seems impressed with the ability to group under full auto, which I believe to be counterproductive to the purpose of full auto -- that of sweeping multiple targets rather than holding on a single individual. Plus it is obvious the AK's tendency to creep under full auto is because it's putting out a more powerful round.

I recall a Staff Sgt. range instructor at Parris Island telling us the M-1 Garand's nearly ten pound weight is worth its weight in gold in combat. He told us that officers in Korea were issued short, light, .30 select/fire, low recoil, M-2 carbines. But when the Chinese started coming down from the mountains wearing heavily quilted winter clothing the officers were dumping the M-2s and picking up M-1 Garands from enlisted casualties. Because the M-2 wasn't stopping them. But when the Chinese charged en masse the armor-piercing ("black tip") 30.06 M-1 rounds often dropped two with one shot -- through and through.

Although I never was in combat I felt very confident about the eight-shot, semi-auto M-1.

Forum List

Back