Question For GOPJEFF

ajwps

Nov 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Jeff since the NT Gospels include both the New and Old Testaments, can you tell me of one instance in which G-d the Father directly names his son?

I am not talking about indirect references Jesus sayings from St. Luke like 'those who see me also the see the Father' or 'I and the Father are one.'

ajwps said:
Jeff since the NT Gospels include both the New and Old Testaments, can you tell me of one instance in which G-d the Father directly names his son?

I am not talking about indirect references Jesus sayings from St. Luke like 'those who see me also the see the Father' or 'I and the Father are one.'

In Matthew, where heaven opens up, a dove decends on Jesus, and a voice comes from heaven saying, "This is my son, in whom I am well pleased."

That's about as direct as it gets. I can't quote the verse, since I don't have my Bible with me right now, but it's early in the book (pretty sure it's Matthew, but could be wrong) when John the Baptist baptises Jesus.

Hobbit said:
In Matthew, where heaven opens up, a dove decends on Jesus, and a voice comes from heaven saying, "This is my son, in whom I am well pleased."

That's about as direct as it gets. I can't quote the verse, since I don't have my Bible with me right now, but it's early in the book (pretty sure it's Matthew, but could be wrong) when John the Baptist baptises Jesus.

Was that "voice coming from the heavens saying, This is my son, in whom I am well pleased" coming from G-d or maybe from one of His angels? Again I ask if anywhere in the NT Gospel G-d the Father says the real name of His son?

HINT: There is actually a verse saying that G-d Himself gives a name to His son.

What more do you want? Do you want the writers of the Bible to give you God's Social Security Number, or His driver's liscense number. Maybe if I showed you a picture of the light shining down with a nametag on it saying, "Hello, my name is God." I mean, it's a bright light, too brilliant for human eyes to look at, shining down from the heavens (and it wasn't the sun, either), a dove (one of God's symbols, as it was used to show Noah that the flood was over) came down and landed on Jesus, and a loud, booming voice from heaven said, "This is my son, in whom I am well pleased." That's about as clear cut as it gets. The best you're gonna get is that every time in the New Testament that an angel spoke to somebody, it is specified that it wass, in fact, and angel speaking. When God appears, there's a bright light that nobody could look at, because God is too brilliant for human eyes to see, as was described in this passage. Nowhere in the Bible is anyone other than God described as being that brilliant, not even Jesus. I'm betting the reason they didn't write down that it was God is because they assumed everyone had already figured that out, and that it wasn't necessary to state it.

ajwps said:
Was that "voice coming from the heavens saying, This is my son, in whom I am well pleased" coming from G-d or maybe from one of His angels? Again I ask if anywhere in the NT Gospel G-d the Father says the real name of His son?

HINT: There is actually a verse saying that G-d Himself gives a name to His son.

Question for Aj why do you spell God as G-d ? Just curious ? :afro:

-=d=- said:
He feels it's dishonor to God - as if he's not worth to spell or say God.. :) It's 'religion' ;)

I can respect that ... :)
Thanks =d= :beer:

Hobbit said:
What more do you want? Do you want the writers of the Bible to give you God's Social Security Number, or His driver's liscense number. Maybe if I showed you a picture of the light shining down with a nametag on it saying, "Hello, my name is God." I mean, it's a bright light, too brilliant for human eyes to look at, shining down from the heavens (and it wasn't the sun, either), a dove (one of God's symbols, as it was used to show Noah that the flood was over) came down and landed on Jesus, and a loud, booming voice from heaven said, "This is my son, in whom I am well pleased." That's about as clear cut as it gets. The best you're gonna get is that every time in the New Testament that an angel spoke to somebody, it is specified that it wass, in fact, and angel speaking. When God appears, there's a bright light that nobody could look at, because God is too brilliant for human eyes to see, as was described in this passage. Nowhere in the Bible is anyone other than God described as being that brilliant, not even Jesus. I'm betting the reason they didn't write down that it was God is because they assumed everyone had already figured that out, and that it wasn't necessary to state it.

Sorry but a booming voice coming out of heaven does not say that the booming voice was G-d's voice.

I am not asking for G-d's birth certificate, driver's license or SSN.

Simply asking if GopJeff or you are aware of a biblical verse that states, 'G-d Himself says the name of his first born son' and in the same words that Jesus spoke and read in the synagogue during his time on earth?

Again, not talking about voices from heaven (unknown entity) or oblique responses from Jesus about 'seeing G-d when seeing him' or a question like 'who do you think I am?'

Again, it does exist in your King James Version of the NT.

Sandy73 said:
Question for Aj why do you spell God as G-d ? Just curious ? :afro:

It has something to do with the holiness of G-d being used not in a prayer or just using His name in vain (without a direct purpose.)

Sorry but that is the way many write His name leaving one letter out and replaced with a (-).

ajwps said:
It has something to do with the holiness of G-d being used not in a prayer or just using His name in vain (without a direct purpose.)

Sorry but that is the way many write His name leaving one letter out and replaced with a (-).

Oh nothing wrong with that .. Just curious.. No flaming or insult intended !
I actually find it interesting and never thought of it in that respect..

ajwps said:
Sorry but a booming voice coming out of heaven does not say that the booming voice was G-d's voice.

Simply asking if GopJeff or you are aware of a biblical verse that states, 'G-d Himself says the name of his first born son' and in the same words that Jesus spoke and read in the synagogue during his time on earth?

Again, not talking about voices from heaven (unknown entity) or oblique responses from Jesus about 'seeing G-d when seeing him' or a question like 'who do you think I am?'

I will give you another hint. The following words are the idential words used by Christ during his studies in the synagogues of Jerusalem.

0424C111.gif

I think it happened ..round about 3am God had ta pee..he stubed his toe pretty bad in the dark....at which time he screamed...Holy "JESUS"! And it was done.

*Just kidding folks..I thought it was funny*

Mr. P said:
I think it happened ..round about 3am God had ta pee..he stubed his toe pretty bad in the dark....at which time he screamed...Holy "JESUS"! And it was done.

*Just kidding folks..I thought it was funny*

:laugh: Should I feel bad for laughing ?

ajwps said:

Ah, that makes me feel a bit better. I thought it was in there somewhere, but what I listed was the first thing that came to mind. I guess I got the wrong impression, as my first thought was that you were somehow claiming Jesus was not the son of God.

As for spelling out the name of God, it is not in vain as long as you are using it as a name, rather than, say, an interjection. At least that's what I think, but I guess it's sometimes better safe than sorry.

Sandy73 said:
:laugh: Should I feel bad for laughing ?

Of course not. God has a sense of humor or I couldn't have posted that.

He has humor all right..remember the garden thing?
The deal he did to Adam..snatched a rib and created Eve.
Why? So she could nag him the rest of his life?

Mr. P said:
Of course not. God has a sense of humor or I couldn't have posted that.

He has humor all right..remember the garden thing?
The deal he did to Adam..snatched a rib and created Eve.
Why? So she could nag him the rest of his life?

Just checking ! :confused:

SO we have the God given right to nag ! :funnyface :banana: :D

Hobbit said:
Ah, that makes me feel a bit better. I thought it was in there somewhere, but what I listed was the first thing that came to mind. I guess I got the wrong impression, as my first thought was that you were somehow claiming Jesus was not the son of God.

As for spelling out the name of God, it is not in vain as long as you are using it as a name, rather than, say, an interjection. At least that's what I think, but I guess it's sometimes better safe than sorry.

Okay, Okay. You've had enough fun at my expense. The following is from the King James Version of the New Testament of Jesus Christ. Here G-d gives the NAME of his first born son. Now you can twist the meaning away.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&passage=Exodus+4:22&version=KJV

ajwps said:
Okay, Okay. You've had enough fun at my expense. The following is from the King James Version of the New Testament of Jesus Christ. Here G-d gives the NAME of his first born son. Now you can twist the meaning away.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&passage=Exodus+4:22&version=KJV

I think that was more of a metaphorical passage, like in the sense that it says in the Bible that we shall all be called the children of God, or the way priests call their parishoners (sp?) "my child." The NT says that Jesus was God's only begotten son.

Hobbit said:
I think that was more of a metaphorical passage, like in the sense that it says in the Bible that we shall all be called the children of God, or the way priests call their parishoners (sp?) "my child." The NT says that Jesus was God's only begotten son.

You are very correct. The line was a metaphor meaning that this was the first time in the Bible that Israel is expressed as a nation. 'First-born' implying the universal fatherhood of G-d. The other nations too are G-d's children, only spiritually Israel the first born among them, through whom all the families of the earth to be blessed. See the following verse in KJV

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&passage=Genesis+12:3&version=KJV

Then by your own reasoning, the NT gospels saying that Jesus was G-d's only begotten son was also a metaphorical passage. Like in the sense that Jesus and all mankind are the only begotten son of G-d.

Thanks for your illucidating these two concepts.

ajwps said:
You are very correct. The line was a metaphor meaning that this was the first time in the Bible that Israel is expressed as a nation. 'First-born' implying the universal fatherhood of G-d. The other nations too are G-d's children, only spiritually Israel the first born among them, through whom all the families of the earth to be blessed. See the following verse in KJV

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&passage=Genesis+12:3&version=KJV

Then by your own reasoning, the NT gospels saying that Jesus was G-d's only begotten son was also a metaphorical passage. Like in the sense that Jesus and all mankind are the only begotten son of G-d.

Thanks for your illucidating these two concepts.

While I don't try to understand the true relationship between God and Jesus, I still believe Jesus being God's son means a lot more than you or me being God's son. Jesus was, simply put, God in a human body. He never sinned, performed many miracles, and had a connection to God that none of us could hope to comprehend in this life. While I don't take the "Jesus, the son of the living God" as literally as the Muslims, who think Christians believe that God had sex with Mary (blasphemous, to say the least, no wonder they hate us), I think it means a lot more than us as children of God. I kinda like to think of humans as being the 'adopted' children, since we're born completely ignorant of God and only later become his children.

Forum List

Back