Quantum mechanics

Selivan

Gold Member
Jan 17, 2018
USSR
There are too many anonymous physicists on this forum ...
Everyone is trying to argue with me ....
-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
I'll ask a simple question ...
Translate the Law of conservation of energy into the Schrodinger equation ???
:04::04::04:

index.jpg

Off Topic:
I doubt strongly that I've got the "chops" to derive the transformation. I can offer only that I recall having to learn that the correspondence exists. Seeing it done, I remember sitting through a lecture/exercise about the correlation between the two equations and that energy conservation is consistent in both Newtonian and quantum physics, but that's it; it wasn't something for which we were held responsible in the survey physics classes I took. (Alternatively, click this link. Some may find it more "accessible.") It was just one of those things the professor discussed in order to illustrate a connection. Truly, had you not mentioned it, I wouldn't independently have even recalled that I'd ever heard of such a thing, nor would I have recalled my instructor having delivered a discussion of the matter.

For better or worse, insofar as a key purpose for one's having textbooks was that the instructor had no need to parrot their content, few of my teachers after the 11th grade were given to "walking through" the content that was in our textbooks. If one requested clarification, they'd provide it. If nobody asked, they proceeded to deliver a lecture that discussed implications of or correlations among specific themes, personages, movements, etc. about which we'd been instructed to understand from having read the text and performed whatever exercises and/or writing or research assignments we were given pertaining to that reading.

As goes your lamentation and frustration with the "arguments" and rebuttals one receives from folks here, well, I feel you. My professional discipline is business management and economics, and I've long since run out of fingers and toes, and friends' fingers and toes, for counting the instances of folks flat-out disregarding or refuting basic and well established principles of economics and business management (the latter being a lot of psychology) as they undertake to refute ideas I've presented.....And they do so even though ideas are presented with linked content that shows their validity and/or plausibility and probability.

Were the refutations offered with due consideration of at least the key principles, theories, postulates, laws etc. used to develop the ideas in the post, I, one, would rather enjoy receiving the other member's remarks/ideas. Just as it's clear to me re: business and economics, it is, apparently, clear to you with physics that too often the responses one here receives come from someone (more often many ones) who (1) doesn't know what they're talking about, (2) has, despite one's providing links so they can know, made not effort to know what they're discussing, and (3) and yet are talking about it.

What is one to do in response to such foolishness? One has but two real choices: ignore the reply and say nothing or respond in the only way one can -- with a didactic explanation. Well, folks who that knows a topic really well logs onto a public discussion forum to do that? Folks who are in high school might. A few folks of typical grad school age (early to late 20-somethings) might. People having an accomplished career in a discipline most certainly do not because, well, that makes for moribund "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" conversation. There are instructional forums on the Internet, but it's not been my understanding that USMB is among them.

On several occasions I've here quoted Rothbard, and though the remark I cite pertains to economics, it could as well pertain to physics or any other discipline.

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
-- Murray N. Rothbard
We find ourselves in a post existential truth age "nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” By your OP remark, I infer you've noticed its manifestation just as have I. I have no idea how we got to this point whereby folks think that if they can string together some assortment of words to express the latest cockamay notion that's entered their mind, that they've done so makes their notion valid. Would that I knew what it will take to effect the rapid demise of whatever compels folks to embrace such a philosophy.​

Last edited:
  • Banned
Off Topic:
this is not offtopic, but spam ...
I hope that you will not do this any more
Did you click on the links in that post?
Write a solution to the Schrödinger equation for a Solid body and do not waste my time ... Any student of the USSR knows this at the third year of the University :04:
I ask you not to look for solutions on the Internet, because I immediately see
---------------------
You will be surprised how simple it all is ... :04:

Last edited:
Off Topic:
Write a solution to the Schrödinger equation for a Solid body and do not waste my time ... Any student of the USSR knows this at the third year of the University :04:
---------------------
You must be bored.
Scientists in the US don’t hang out on message boards.

Off Topic:
---------------------
I can assure you that I won't be doing that. As I stated in my very first post:
I doubt strongly that I've got the "chops" to derive the transformation.
Now, are you here to establish that you know more than others/some/all here about quantum physics, or are you here to discuss some implications/applications of something having to do with or deriving from theories and experimentation in quantum mechanics?

If the former, fine; you know more than I about physics. I have no problem granting that.

Like you, I'm highly competent in a couple disciplines, and like you, I could present some sort of "challenge" to members here, one for which they most assuredly won't find the "answer" on the Internet because it comes from original research that has yet to be published. But I know better than to do that here because the only USMB member who cares at all about my competency in my fields of work is me. And I already know what my level of competency in my field is.

So, if you want to have a conversation about something having to do with quantum mechanics, wonderful. I may be interested enough in the topic to somehow engage with you on that topic; so might others. If, however, you just want to issue "tests," well, I a very long time ago graduated from school and passed all the professional certification exams I'm ever going to take.

A friend of mine is a Russian who went to Moscow State University and is now a professor.

I sent him the OP and asked him if he could solve the equation. He just laughed and said the guy who asked the question must be something in Russian that I didn’t understand but assumed wasn’t a compliment.

Now He’s a professor of chemistry, but since it’s science, it’s all the same.

It's funny. To be interested in quantum mechanics for stupid American Hamburgers. In America there is no higher education. They consider college a higher education. You'll laugh .... In Russia, the college is a garbage dump

-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------

I'm not going through the details, but Schrodinger's equation is already in terms of energy,
Hψ = Eψ
Express the Hamiltonian in terms of a moving mass, and set E to an allowed eigenvalue, a scaler. That is the energy and won't change.

I'm still waiting for you to tell us whether a vinculum is a sign of grouping or not!

Off Topic:
---------------------
You must be bored.
Scientists in the US don’t hang out on message boards.

They might hang out, but its for fun and relaxation, not more work, not to buzz others on how much smarter they are than Americans.

A friend of mine is a Russian who went to Moscow State University and is now a professor.

I sent him the OP and asked him if he could solve the equation. He just laughed and said the guy who asked the question must be something in Russian that I didn’t understand but assumed wasn’t a compliment.

Now He’s a professor of chemistry, but since it’s science, it’s all the same.

Your friend sees clearly what is obvious to us and even a goat.

Professor-Atkinson--122228.jpg

It's funny. To be interested in quantum mechanics for stupid American Hamburgers. In America there is no higher education. They consider college a higher education. You'll laugh .... In Russia, the college is a garbage dump

I agree. Russian colleges are a garbage dump.

Forum List

Back