Public School Teacher Strikes

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
I just want to vent here a little bit. I live in a rural community and there are two separate school districts where the teachers are currently on strike. That just boils my blood.

I know there are some teachers on this board (sorry Kathianne... gotta vent here tho).

Teachers in my area make damn nice money. They get a paid vacation the entire summer. They have nice benefits. The only ones getting hurt here are the children. My boyfriends children havent even started school yet due to the strike and now I'm hearing that the school district my daughter will be attending next year (she'll be starting Kindergarden) is planning on striking. Its ridiculous.

/vent off.

The WORST part is, Striking never costs the teachers money...they get paid for their 180 days of instructing no matter if that 180 days ends in JUNE or August. :(

lilcountriegal said:
I just want to vent here a little bit. I live in a rural community and there are two separate school districts where the teachers are currently on strike. That just boils my blood.

I know there are some teachers on this board (sorry Kathianne... gotta vent here tho).

Teachers in my area make damn nice money. They get a paid vacation the entire summer. They have nice benefits. The only ones getting hurt here are the children. My boyfriends children havent even started school yet due to the strike and now I'm hearing that the school district my daughter will be attending next year (she'll be starting Kindergarden) is planning on striking. Its ridiculous.

/vent off.
Welcome to the world of Union strong arm tactics, lilcountriegal.
It ain't just about steel or auto workers anymore. Even one of our oldest airlines, Delta, is only weeks away from bankruptcy, in part due to the inflexibility and demands of Unions.

The good news is, like the Democatic
party...Unions are dyeing.

We had a six week teacher strike up here last year - in spite of the fact that such strikes are specifically outlawed by state law (because the teachers are state employees). So who gets punished? Not the teachers - they all kept their jobs, and the Democratic governor and attorney general (now running for governor) refused to even fine the striking teachers. The kids, however, got to stay in school through July, and the parents were all stuck with extra daycare bills.

lil, I have to agree with you. Teacher strikes get nothing accomplished except pissing off the community.

Mr. P said:
Even one of our oldest airlines, Delta, is only weeks away from bankruptcy, in part due to the inflexibility and demands of Unions.

Totally off topic - sorry.

I am waiting for one of the major airlines to liquidate. Frankly, the industry needs it. And if Delta, one of the most union-saturated airlines out there, is the one to fall, all the better. The surviving airlines will be more able to maintain their profit margin with only 4-5 major airlines, as opposed to the current 6-7.

Forum List

Back