Public Opinion Supports Repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

First.......my credentials.......

I'm a 20 year Navy veteran who served from 1982 until 2002. During that time I've lived in barracks, on ships and had room mates.

I've lived with gays on all of them. On my first ship, there was a guy named John L. who was as gay as they come. He was also a hell of a computer tech. However.......he stated that he wasn't interested in fucking around on the ship, because he was there to do a job.

When I've lived in barracks over the years, again, I've been stationed with some people who were openly gay. Did I freak out when they walked into the shower? No. I'm comfortable with my masculinity and don't see a reason to get bent out of shape. If someone made a pass at me (which has happened once or twice), I politely tell them no, that I'm straight.

Generally never had a problem.

When I was stationed in Virginia Beach, I lived with 2 women who were lesbians. I lived with them as their cover for 2 years. During that time, I also met others who were both gay and lesbian who were also in the military.

Again.........never had any problems.

What I have found? Most of the gay people that I've known over the years in the military were there to do a job, earn rank, and get paid. The idea of a gay person hiding in the bathroom stall like Larry Craig is a myth, as I've never ran into it.

So............let gays serve openly.

Give you a hint they aren't fighting to be ogled by other soldiers.

Give you a hint - some of the worst cases of sexual harassment on record take place in straight all-male environment. See oil rigs for examples.

Another hint most of the gays that have been kicked out of the military were removed not because they were gay but for fraternization violations. (i.e. superiors sleeping with subordinates) That is considered a major violation no matter whether you are gay or straight and for fairly straight forward and obvous reason.

First off, I call BS on that one. Second, I don't care - that's not what we're talking about. People fired for fraternization is not the subject.

I have served in the army during war.

We had NO known homos in our unit.

If someone had let it be known they were a queer

They would have been the first casuality in the next fire fight

Hey, friendly fire accidents sometimes happen :eusa_angel:

No........gays that are kicked out of the military ARE NOT kicked out for fraternization.

Fraternization generally gets someone busted down 1 rank, restriction, and costs 'em a couple of bucks, not kicking them out.

Apparently you've never been in the military, as well as like to pick up any old bullshit that someone slings your way, hunh garyd?

Quit believing GOP talking points and bullshit you pick up from the Christian Coalition, and go talk to someone who has actually been there and done that.

I have served in the army during war.

We had NO known homos in our unit.

If someone had let it be known they were a queer

They would have been the first casuality in the next fire fight

Hey, friendly fire accidents sometimes happen :eusa_angel:

Yeah.....you did 1 REMF tour in 'Nam didn't you Sunnidiot?

Times have changed since then dinosaur.

First.......my credentials.......

I'm a 20 year Navy veteran who served from 1982 until 2002. During that time I've lived in barracks, on ships and had room mates.

I've lived with gays on all of them. On my first ship, there was a guy named John L. who was as gay as they come. He was also a hell of a computer tech. However.......he stated that he wasn't interested in fucking around on the ship, because he was there to do a job.

When I've lived in barracks over the years, again, I've been stationed with some people who were openly gay. Did I freak out when they walked into the shower? No. I'm comfortable with my masculinity and don't see a reason to get bent out of shape. If someone made a pass at me (which has happened once or twice), I politely tell them no, that I'm straight.

Generally never had a problem.

When I was stationed in Virginia Beach, I lived with 2 women who were lesbians. I lived with them as their cover for 2 years. During that time, I also met others who were both gay and lesbian who were also in the military.

Again.........never had any problems.

What I have found? Most of the gay people that I've known over the years in the military were there to do a job, earn rank, and get paid. The idea of a gay person hiding in the bathroom stall like Larry Craig is a myth, as I've never ran into it.

So............let gays serve openly.
Doesn't surprise me

The Navy has always been full of queers :lol:

It is if you're sweating gays being kicked out of the military. There are currently only 2 ways to get kicked out of the military if you are gay one is to hold a rank of officer while having sex with an enlisted man under your command. The other is to stand on a pedestal and shout to the world that you are gay.

And the fact that sexual harrassment of women occurs doesn't justify or make your case in any way shape or form.

I don't care who you are or what you are. You feel like risking you life to defend me and my family, and the only thing I have to say about it is "Thank you."

If you are a man.

I really feel sorry for you that you need perverts to defend your family :cuckoo:

Why if I'm a man?

Oh, I see. Bigoted and Sexist in one happy package. Charming.

Everyone needs an army to defend against other countries, including men. If you're going to attempt testosterone baiting, get better at it.

Meanwhile, I think it's far more "perverted" to be so fearful of an attraction to the female body that it must be covered in burkas. But that doesn't mean people who believe that shouldn't be able to serve in the army.

2 years and 7 months US Army 11 months in Viet Nam. So yeah I've been there. And Fraternization will get your ass kicked out if its a second or greater offense. Or if it has led to major disciplinary problems with in the unit. Or where the junior clearly was acting under compulsion, which tends to be viewed as little more than rape.

So yeah I've pulled my share of guard duty in a hot zone. So frankly if their is a more boring duty on God's green earth I've never seen it.

That of course assumes the fellow soldier doesn't find said crush repugnant and when it is voiced immeddiately seek to transfer out.

They heard the same arguments when they first desegregated the army, about Whites not wanting to 'fight in a foxhole next to a ******'. They found it no less repulsive or offensive. Are you telling me that the DIs can't get the morons to fight together?

When you are hunkered down in a fox hole standing guard in a hot zone you don't need any additional distractions say like the ass of the guy you're on duty with.

1) Who the fuck thinks about ass when in a foxhole waiting to get shot?

2)How's that any different than thinking about your gal back home or the female in the Humvee?

3) Will a homosexual be any more distracted by his fellow's ass if he's not afraid of talking about his boyfriend back home? How will it change at all?

Tell that to my friend who was raped by another soldier while in Afghanistan, buttfuck.

Ya cause on a submarine where part of the crew hot racks and some sleep elbow to elbow the one thing straight guys are looking for is a gay guy living in their sleeping space.

Lets try this another way shall we?

We do not allow men and women to bunk together. Why? Cause of sex and the problems it brings to a unit. We do not allow them to shower together nor to share the same toilet facilities.

We do let gays shower with straights...have done it since the military shower was invented.
Most military personal under the rank of Sgt share quarters with at LEAST one other and sometimes more people. Do you plan to pay to build the THOUSANDS of new quarters the military will need to accommodate admitted gays?

Ooooo! Ooooo! The Potty Principle! I remember that argument when they started putting women on ships. An oldie but goodie! :clap2::clap2:

Why change, besides the histerical ravings of an egomaniac who thinks everyone is goggling their not so attractive body in the shower?

Same why the Navy's done it since the Navy was formed.

Yes...of course. Gay people join the military because they are gay. Happens all the time. :cuckoo:

I would love that to go both ways. How about the straight soldiers/sailors SHUT UP about their sexual antics? How about we no longer have the antics we have on deployment in places like Thailand, Sigonela, etc. How about we no longer have the wife swapping we had in one squadron I was in...or the groupies in New Zealand who worked their way thru the Officer's Lounge and the CPO roster? How about that?

Ah, I see your problem now.

Don't ask don't tell is perfect for that purpose. It ensures that gays that CHOSE to serve are doing so for the serves not as a political statement.

How many blacks have served "as a political statement"?
How many other minorities as served "as a political statement"?
How many women have served "as a political statement"?

You just revealed yourself there, buckaroo.

Clinton tried to get rid of the ban on Gays in the military too. He quickly learned it just is not a good Idea. In fact as I recall that is why we have don't ask don't tell.

The military does not need activists nor those more interested in self then group.

Of course...you KNOW that gays are only interested in self. Of course that's why we have been a part of the military since its inception. BECAUSE WE'RE SO SELFISH!!!!

:lol::lol:

Ahh yes just ignore the reality, and that you are gay explains a lot too. Just dismissing the reality of the MAJORITY in a military unit is always the way to go. Ohh and by the way? Gay and black are not the same. One is a choice the other is a skin pigment. And I do not want to hear how you are born gay. YOU chose to practice it and chose to flaunt it in front of others

And gays do serve and honorably. BUT they do not announce they are gay. Why? Because it is not about their sexual preference it is about serving the Country in the military. Last I checked if a straight acts in any of the manners you have talked about then they are likely to get charged with a violation of the UCMJ. You see BUCKY those actions ARE against the UCMJ also. Well except the hooker thing. Though if you keep getting STD's you get kicked out or can not reenlist. Pretty damn simple really.

ANYONE that is trying to use the military as a political soapbox is NOT serving for the good of the military or the Country. They are a distraction and a disruptive force on Unit Cohesion and Morale.

You see, all one need do to serve if gay is NOT tell people they are gay. The only thing we need do is enforce the policy that commands can not hunt for gays or kick them out if they are not broadcasting what they are.

WHY do you feel the need to tell everyone your a deviant? You are aware that only about 3 percent of the population is gay? And that they can easily keep their sexual choices out of the public eye?

Wow, Allie, you make such intelligent points. :rolleyes: I swear, telling you apart from Sunni would be impossible if it weren't for avatars.

Get lost, since you clearly have nothing to contribute.

It is if you're sweating gays being kicked out of the military. There are currently only 2 ways to get kicked out of the military if you are gay one is to hold a rank of officer while having sex with an enlisted man under your command. The other is to stand on a pedestal and shout to the world that you are gay.

And the fact that sexual harrassment of women occurs doesn't justify or make your case in any way shape or form.

Unfortunately that is not the case. It is the standard but commands do in fact search out gays and boot them for no overt action on their part. The second point is the crux of the argument. ANYONE that wants to use the military as soap box needs to be booted out. Pretty simple concept.

Ohh and you all stop with the gay equals black bullshit. It is not the same at all.

Sorry, BJ, you're the retard who insists there's no sexual distraction in the military. My posts are more intelligent that yours, I actually provide, uh, FACTS.

"The Pentagon said it received 2,923 reports of sexual assault across the military in the 12 months ending Sept. 30 2008. That's about a 9 percent increase over the totals reported the year before, but only a fraction of the crimes presumably being committed."
Military rape reports rise, prosecution still low

See, I even used a leftard rag.

"There are more women serving in the military than ever before, and they're in danger—but not just from combat. Last year, nearly 1,400 women reported being assaulted and raped by their fellow soldiers, in some cases by their commanding officers. The shocking phenomenon is called military sexual trauma, or MST."

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/421/index.html

Obviously, ppl DO get distracted. Bring out of the closet queers into the mix and just wait for the action.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back