"protecting" And "serving"

Baltimore police have suspended an officer after he was caught on video repeatedly beating a man earlier this year.

Lawyers representing Kollin Truss, 32, said their client exchanged words with Baltimore City Police Department Officer Vincent Cosom on June 15 at 1:30 a.m., just before the cop repeatedly punched him, according to local WBALTV11. Cosom now faces a seven-count lawsuit from attorneys Ivan Bates and Tony Garcia, of Bates & Garcia, who claimed their client is the victim of police brutality.

“The pattern is all too clear, these types of police take a person’s dignity, force their submission, assault a person then charge the person with assaulting them. This is not justice,” attorneys wrote on the law firm’s Facebook page.

Cosom has been placed on administrative leave. The video footage of the incident was captured by police surveillance cameras.

Baltimore cop suspended after video shows him punching man MSNBC

The beating the cop gave was bad enough, but then to go and falsely charge the victim is really serious. And he would have gotten away with it if not for the video.

I think that a lot of new and younger police are coming out of the military as their military tours or enlistment ends Average Bear !!

I think that a lot of new and younger police are coming out of the military as their military tours or enlistment ends Average Bear !!

And I doubt any of them are beating the shit out of people , or shooting dogs, or point guns at people they don't intend to shoot.

Most cops are people who WANTED to be in the military but couldn't cut it and had to "settle" for being a LEO and they are pissed off about it and trying to prove something to someone.

I don't know AverageBear , seems to me that the American police are becoming militarized because of a military mind set of new , young police officers . Like I said , I don't know .

I don't know AverageBear , seems to me that the American police are becoming militarized because of a military mind set of new , young police officers . Like I said , I don't know .

Well I was Military Police for 26 years, final rank Lt Colonel and all I call tell you is that if any soldiers under my command would have shot some kids dog cuz they were too pussy to deal with it then made the kids set next to the body at all I would have kicked the shit out of said soldier, and most soldiers I knew wouldn't have ever have done something like that.

I can't think of a single example of an MP shooting a damn family pet matter of fact.. I'm sure it has happened but I can't recall an instance of it.

Just as one example.

you might be right Ave Bear , like I say , I don't know but I don't like seeing whats happening in the USA . Things in the USA sure seem different , worse as regards police . I was born in 49 so I've seen lots of changes since I became aware of how things work in the early to middle 60s .

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has the opposite problem, he wants to be a police officer but there were no openings so he's joining to become an MP now. (I've been trying to convince him to move here cause we are chronically short officers, but he says it's too cold. I laughed at him.)

There are over 780,000 police officers in the US. Let's say we have 10 incidents per day of over aggressive officers involving 15 officers, do you realize how many are actually out there serving with dignity and honor? That means that over 99.9% serve honorably.

Sure, there are bad apples out there and we need to get rid of them but to taint the mass majority because of the minor few? It isn't right.

An article this morning on the growing police state

This is why I don’t trust my local police department

About a year ago, I moved to St. Paul, Minn. for grad school. It’s been great living here, but I must say, I’m worried about my dog’s safety. My worry doesn’t stem from concerns about traffic, crime, or environmental hazards.

No, I’m worried because of the Saint Paul Police Department.

In July, there was a story about a family whose two dogs were executed by police during a no-knock raid for marijuana possession in a St. Paul neighborhood just a few miles from my house. The family says one dog was shot as he fled in fear; the raid, meanwhile, produced minimal evidence to feed the hungry maw of the trillion-dollar failure that is the war on drugs.

“All of a sudden, we see the dogs thrown out like pieces of meat, like they were nothing,” said a neighbor of the family whose dogs were shot. “We teared up because they are like family to us. Those dogs are real good dogs.”

This isn’t an isolated incident for the SPPD. Just a few years ago, the Saint Paul Police killed another family dog…and forced handcuffed children to sit next to its bleeding corpse for more than an hour while they ransacked the home.

The kicker? The raid wasn’t even in the right house!

This is why I don t trust my local police department Rare
You appear to have a high awareness of these police incidents.Almost as though you mine for them. If that is how you occupy yourself, fine.
Your anti law enforcement bias has left you sort of an outcast.
I state this because you take no time in mining for stories which depict the good things done by law enforcement.
You don't like cops. And you probably would be a person who'd start a battle over a simple traffic stop.
Mistaken identity while rare DOES happen...
I will concede that these so called "no knock" raids are looking like bad policy.
At least to the extent that non violent suspects should not be subject to them.
I've stated my view. There is no need for you to respond
Thanks

Maybe if more people would FOLLOW THE LAWS, this wouldn't be so much of an issue.
With the state declaring new stuff to be against the law daily.
This is the result of law and order liberalism.
It is "the creation of crime and criminals"....
A month does not go by where some state or the federal government does not enact a new law which creates instant criminals for activities widely held as completely normal.
We are the most over lawed, over legislated society on planet Earth.
And the typical knee jerk response to an activity which a minority of people yet very loud minority?...."That should be illegal"..
Here's an example...
I sued to live in Hilton Head, SC. Hilton Head;s beaches were some of the last to permit the consumption of alcoholic bevs on the sand.
And of course the Island was an attraction of college aged spring breakers...And of course the "Blue Haired Old Bitty" faction just could NOT have these "damned kids" running around on THEIR beach. So they went to the town and complained. And they complained some more. Until finally the Town Council passed an ordinance banning the use of alco beverages on any beach...BOOM.....Instant criminals. More people to ticket and arrest. And of course more money from fines for town coffers....
Meanwhile the few thousand kids that came to the Island each year, armed with credit cards and cash were gone. The beachfront businesses which did very well in which was a time of year where the beaches were relatively quiet, took it in the shorts and had to lay off workers. Brilliant.
Oh....One note. The laws of unintended consequences kicked in....all those people who have beachfront property who liked to mix a bloody mary or martini and have a nice stroll on the beach.....No longer legal. And of course the beach dwellers howled in protest. that this was just not fair. The Town Council informed them that the law must apply to all.
I bet there were plenty of people who were very pissed off, but tough shit. They got what they wanted. And a bit more.

Taz, you say you don't trust your local police department. I trust my local police department and pretty much every other LEO in this country a thousand times more than I trust all but a small handful of people whom I personally know. Hell, I trust them more than a majority of my family members.

Then again, I go out of my way to avoid interacting with officers any more than is absolutely necessary. I don't give them a reason to stop me. I don't live in or even visit neighborhoods where there is significant criminal activity. I am prepared to defend myself and my home rather than calling a cop to protect me.

Maybe if more people would FOLLOW THE LAWS, this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Including jaywalking. And she didn't have her ID! :eek-52:

The police chief reacted by saying that at least, we didn't rape her.

Austin police chief apologizes for comments about jogger

Here's another case of a person who was witnessed by police of being in violation of the law. And of course she is making an idiotic spectacle of herself by screaming like a child that even after the police told her they witnessed her illegal street crossing, she was uncooperative..And of course she pulled that old trick of not carrying ID with her so that if the police stopped her, she would give a fake name and address. Nice try.
Here's the rub. Had she just shut the hell up and listened to the cops, they most likely would have issued a warning and maybe a good talking to regarding why what she did could be life threatening.
No. We have a generation of people who think everything they do is OK and no one is going to tell them any different.
The moral is, this whole thing could have been avoided if the woman had just been calm and listened the instructions given by police.
And of course

I will say once again, military service should be an absolute requirement to be a police officer.
NYC police used to have physical requirements.
Recruits had to be at least 5'9" in height. Had to complete certain requirements that the recruit would demonstrate a certain amount of strength. Had to be able to run a mile in under 8 minutes. Had to pass a defensive driving course. Several written examinations.
All or most of these requirements had to be either dumbed down or eliminated in order to help female and minority recruits pass through and graduate from the police academy.
Now as far as the ex military thing is concenred. That can cut both ways. I used to live in a town that was patrolled by deputies of the county Sheriff's Dept.
The Sheriff would hire only ex marines because HE was one himself.
MY encounters with the Beaufort Cty Sheriff's deputies were mixed. Many of the younger deputies were quick to anger if they thought their authority was being questioned.
Were unable to think outside the box to get themselves through a situation that was not in the manual.
My wife and I were awoken on early morning( 3 am) by a disturbance outside our apartment. Wife calls 911. The deputies arrive and I go outside to address the deputies as the complainant.
One of these rocket scientists tells me that I was not the one who called in and that I needed to get back into my home or face arrest.
I told this mental midget that it was my wife who called because i asked her to. I got names and badge numbers from these two morons. I went the next day to the Sheriff's dept to have a chat with Command.
The Sergeant kind of rolled his eyes and at first was trying to blow me off. Then the thing changed when he heard one name in particular. He made references to issues with this deputy but never came out and stated that clearly.
Anyway, I got my point across.

With the state declaring new stuff to be against the law daily.
This is the result of law and order liberalism.
It is "the creation of crime and criminals"....
A month does not go by where some state or the federal government does not enact a new law which creates instant criminals for activities widely held as completely normal.
We are the most over lawed, over legislated society on planet Earth.
And the typical knee jerk response to an activity which a minority of people yet very loud minority?...."That should be illegal"..
Here's an example...
I sued to live in Hilton Head, SC. Hilton Head;s beaches were some of the last to permit the consumption of alcoholic bevs on the sand.
And of course the Island was an attraction of college aged spring breakers...And of course the "Blue Haired Old Bitty" faction just could NOT have these "damned kids" running around on THEIR beach. So they went to the town and complained. And they complained some more. Until finally the Town Council passed an ordinance banning the use of alco beverages on any beach...BOOM.....Instant criminals. More people to ticket and arrest. And of course more money from fines for town coffers....
Meanwhile the few thousand kids that came to the Island each year, armed with credit cards and cash were gone. The beachfront businesses which did very well in which was a time of year where the beaches were relatively quiet, took it in the shorts and had to lay off workers. Brilliant.
Oh....One note. The laws of unintended consequences kicked in....all those people who have beachfront property who liked to mix a bloody mary or martini and have a nice stroll on the beach.....No longer legal. And of course the beach dwellers howled in protest. that this was just not fair. The Town Council informed them that the law must apply to all.
I bet there were plenty of people who were very pissed off, but tough shit. They got what they wanted. And a bit more.

What you say about being over lawed is true, but these people are invariably breaking common sense laws. Jaywalking, speeding, DUI, etc etc, etc.

Then when they get stopped by police, they act as if it the police's fault they got in trouble.

Then they fight with police, then they complain when the cops respond.

Are there cases of police brutality? Sure there are. But most of the claims we see are from people who started a fight with police and the police finished it.

About a year ago, I moved to St. Paul, Minn. for grad school. It’s been great living here, but I must say, I’m worried about my dog’s safety. My worry doesn’t stem from concerns about traffic, crime, or environmental hazards.

In July, there was a story about a family whose two dogs were executed by police during a no-knock raid for marijuana possession in a St. Paul neighborhood just a few miles from my house. The family says one dog was shot as he fled in fear; the raid, meanwhile, produced minimal evidence to feed the hungry maw of the trillion-dollar failure that is the war on drugs.

“All of a sudden, we see the dogs thrown out like pieces of meat, like they were nothing,” said a neighbor of the family whose dogs were shot. “We teared up because they are like family to us. Those dogs are real good dogs.”

This isn’t an isolated incident for the SPPD. Just a few years ago, the Saint Paul Police killed another family dog…and forced handcuffed children to sit next to its bleeding corpse for more than an hour while they ransacked the home.

You appear to have a high awareness of these police incidents.Almost as though you mine for them. If that is how you occupy yourself, fine.
I state this because you take no time in mining for stories which depict the good things done by law enforcement.
You don't like cops. And you probably would be a person who'd start a battle over a simple traffic stop.
I will concede that these so called "no knock" raids are looking like bad policy.
Thanks

Actually, no, I don't look for them and that's the sad part. They just show up in my news feeds. That's how common the problem is becoming.

Taz, you say you don't trust your local police department. I trust my local police department and pretty much every other LEO in this country a thousand times more than I trust all but a small handful of people whom I personally know. Hell, I trust them more than a majority of my family members.

Then again, I go out of my way to avoid interacting with officers any more than is absolutely necessary. I don't give them a reason to stop me. I don't live in or even visit neighborhoods where there is significant criminal activity. I am prepared to defend myself and my home rather than calling a cop to protect me.

Including jaywalking. And she didn't have her ID! :eek-52:

The police chief reacted by saying that at least, we didn't rape her.

Austin police chief apologizes for comments about jogger

Here's another case of a person who was witnessed by police of being in violation of the law. And of course she is making an idiotic spectacle of herself by screaming like a child that even after the police told her they witnessed her illegal street crossing, she was uncooperative..And of course she pulled that old trick of not carrying ID with her so that if the police stopped her, she would give a fake name and address. Nice try.
Here's the rub. Had she just shut the hell up and listened to the cops, they most likely would have issued a warning and maybe a good talking to regarding why what she did could be life threatening.
No. We have a generation of people who think everything they do is OK and no one is going to tell them any different.
The moral is, this whole thing could have been avoided if the woman had just been calm and listened the instructions given by police.
And of course

People blissfully living their life don't expect to run into hardened cops with no emotion.

I understand it's dangerous, but people are adults and will jaywalk. That's life. If you see it's clear, some people will go.

If police were serious about saving pedestrian lives, they would put that time into monitoring traffic and being hard on who they should, bad drivers, instead of people walking.

Also, people don't expect to need an ID when they exercise. They should bring it, I do, but again, they don't think about it.

Thanks

Don't ever question authority. :nono:

They are (almost) perfect.

Forum List

Back